03730 Jahenna Female Vampire(another adventure with sheer cloth)

The nudity ban is a shame since your's is looking wonderful so far.  I also have yet to try sheer cloth, but (today, ironically) had decided that I wanted to try it on one of the new Bombshell Babes miniatures I recieved from their latest KS. Celeste to be exact, as I thought she'd make a cool water mage.  So, I'm looking forward to see what you do with your model.

• Like 1

I love it!

I have wanted to try out sheer cloths for a while now.

Still a bit confused about how to get the skin  to look like it is covered but still showing.

Do you mix in white with the skin colour?

• Like 1

The nudity ban is a shame since your's is looking wonderful so far.  I also have yet to try sheer cloth, but (today, ironically) had decided that I wanted to try it on one of the new Bombshell Babes miniatures I recieved from their latest KS. Celeste to be exact, as I thought she'd make a cool water mage.  So, I'm looking forward to see what you do with your model.

Ooh I can't wait to see Celeste as a water Mage, she will look pretty with sheer cloth.

Those look awesome so far.

And now that I can actually see what that mini looks like, I want one.

The sculpt is super pretty, I actually hope to pick up another one at some point.

I love it!

I have wanted to try out sheer cloths for a while now.

Still a bit confused about how to get the skin  to look like it is covered but still showing.

Do you mix in white with the skin colour?

This is my third mini that I painted with sheer cloth, I am still learning myself. I paint my skin first where I think it should be showing then before I add any cloth color I analyze my placement and make sure it looks right. Then I take my midtone for my cloth and put it where the cloth is the thickest, such as the folds, around the edges and of course the bottom of the dress.

Then to get the skin looking like it's covered it's a lot of back and forth for me. For Jahenna I mixed Reaper's Seafoam(which is my first highlight color for the cloth) with Reapers Olive skin highlight. To get these right I mixed five mixes between the two colors to aid the transition from cloth to skin. I also applied them super thin. Then after it started to look right I took Scale 75's African shadow and glazed it on the shadow places for her skin and I opted to use it for my shadow to the teal cloth so it will hopefully help tie everything together.

So no I don't mix white in with the skin, but if I were to paint a white cloth I would.

I hope some of that rambling helps at least a little, sheer cloth isn't that hard it's just time consuming and to get the transitions right needs lots of glazing. I tend to get it looking ok and then fuss with it too much and should've stopped before I did so then I have to reclaim the flesh to get it to look right.

Both of Marike's and Jessica Rich's Dark Sword DVD's have an example of sheer cloth which helped me a lot. Also Rhonda Bender taught a class at Gen Con for sheer cloth which I took way before I felt good enough to try it but she suggested looking at lots of example of real sheer cloth and even taking a piece and wrapping it around your arm to get an idea of how it shows the skin color underneath. I actually did this for my Sleeeping Beauty I painted with sheer cloth and it helped so much, but for her I happened to have a piece of sheer purple cloth to use for reference.

• Like 11

Thanks everybody for the kind words. My weekend kinda went sideways on me and I didn't get to work on her, I also forgot to take better photos.

No photos today but I did manage to paint for about an hour tonight, I messed around a bit on the cloth and decided I didn't have the patience tonight so I basecoated her hair and started to try to fix my transitions on her skin a bit. I will try to get some more cell phone pics throughout the week and hopefully remember to take better ones this weekend. Bad news is I may have to put her aside for a bit after this weekend, if I don't mess her up and have the time this week, I could maybe get a miniature finished.

• Like 4

I finally broke out the light box and camera to get some photos of Jahenna. I did work a bit more on the sheer since the last round of photos. I am still not quite happy with it. I am struggling a bit with the transition from her skin to the cloth color in a few areas. Right now my favorite part of the sheer is her legs. So basically to give me a break from her cloth I moved on to smooth out her skin and start her hair and face. 

Here is the only photo I hope is ok to post here without linking. I think it shows a bit of my sheer problem as I lost a bit of the midtone with the skin so I will have to go back and work on reclaiming it a bit.

post-5971-0-04947400-1467596801_thumb.jpg

It also shows her hair which needs a bit of glazing and then one last round of highlights once I smooth the transitions. 

Now for some other views which needed linked for nudity.

First the close up of her face (Again a bit more smoothing needed especially on her nose)

https://liviasminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/face-2.jpg

Now the other angles 

https://liviasminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/jahenna-3.jpg

https://liviasminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/jahenna.jpg

https://liviasminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/jahenna-1.jpg

https://liviasminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/jahenna4.jpg

I think I am happy with where she is headed, but she needs more work. For now it looks like I may have to put her aside to finish another project. But I hope to work on her a little when I can. When I do I will try to take more photos and post here.

As always any C&C welcome. Also any ideas on basing, I didn't really have any plans for her when I first started, but now that she is taking shape I feel she will deserve better than a gaming base. I didn't paint her as a vampire as such I do not plan on using her graveyard included base. Although with her off the shoulder downwards gaze she may need another mini added to the scene to complete what she is gazing at. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if I may not be able to complete them right away.

• Like 14