Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I have a few WIPs that are taking forever, but I needed an alternate Kuo Toa faction for D&D tonight, so I went for it and “speed painted” these in about 4 hours.
I used both BCA Pink *and* Drow Nipple Pink as the main skin and spine colors! Do I get bonus points for that?
Here are the ones I did a few months before that took about 4 times longer over several weekends.
By Doug Sundseth
Another Bones figure. I'm not entirely sure where the color scheme came from. I just started and it kind of grew.
This is a very annoying figure to paint. The hat brim is very wide and there's detail under it that is almost impossible to get to. The same is true of the beard. But the semi-random color scheme turned into something way outside what I usually paint, but in a good way.
Bones are great for experiments, because I don't feel like I have to obsess about every detail like I would for a competition piece. And I think my quality is going up as a result.
Arachnophobic Trigger Warning!
If seeing lots and lots of pictures of spiders is an issue for you, this is NOT the post for you.
As soon as the Goroloth was done, Ron asked me if I wanted to do another. Of course, I agreed. This time, he wanted a really big spider; one to fit a 4 inch (100 mm) base. Before you all say, "But I thought it was on a 5" (130 mm) base," bear with me; that is a part of the later half of the story. He pointed me at several sources of inspiration, but the design was going to be for me to develop. Funny though how what an Art Director can see in the sources and an Artist sees can be completely different features, as you will soon see. Where Ron saw a bulbous body, pointy fused legs, and plates; I saw spikes, spines, and big fangs. This project was about to become one of the most intense back and forth projects between myself and my art director that I have ever had, but the end result was well worth it and, together, I think Ron and I developed one of the best figures I have ever sculpted.
It started out as any project does, with a basic armature:
I refined that shape grossly into the shape I wanted for the body:
After that I started pulling in rough details using mostly the Move and Inflate brushes. I should note that I was not yet trying to create a finished spider, but merely get my concept down so I could send it to Ron for approval on the general theme of the piece.
I added eyes. These were based on Jumping spiders.
Then I built the legs. Each segment was a separate piece that I sculpted from cylinders and then inserted into the main sculpt. I built all the legs on one side, and then mirrored them onto the other side. Again, this is all mostly conceptual at this point. If you look closely, you will see that noting is really connected, I just needed to get it put together to get Ron's feedback.
Next post, I'l cover Ron's response and where we went from there. (Though it should be obvious what his response was, considering that the above spider looks absolutely nothing like the finished Arakoth.)
Who's Online 22 Members, 3 Anonymous, 359 Guests (See full list)