firstkyne

Which glue to use for Reaper Bones Miniatures?

Experienced Bones modders required!

I am building a Reaper Bones miniature (Rauthuros Demon). What is the best glue to use to attach the wings and head? The wings are large and need to be very strongly attached, I think. What glue is best?

After that, there will be a quite visible join gap. I want to fill and smooth such gaps, and maybe sculpt in a bit of texture there. Because the Bones plastic is a bit bendy, I want this filler/glue to dry with a bit of flex to it, rather than drying hard (and therefore crackable and fragile).

I have read that some people -who seem to be after the same thing- mix Milliput with Green Stuff. What is the best material (or mix of materials to fill gaps, be smoothed and sculpted, and dry with a little flexibilty?

I'd say pin with wire, use good quality cyanoacrylate superglue, and the join should be pretty tough.

ProCreate mixed with Apoxie Sculpt cures tough yet slightly flexible for me, though I don't see many other people out there using that combination.

• Like 1

I like acrylic modeling paste for flexible gap filling. Unfortunately, it's not very good for sculpting and it needs to be applied in thin layers to avoid splitting as it dries.

i use medium superglue to glue Bones and have had no problems. I have occasionally added pins to things like Rauthuros by simply hand drilling a small hole and pinning with a paper clip. Greenstuff actually has a bit of flex to it and I've had no trouble using it as a filler on Bones without mixing it with anything else. I wouldn't flex it a lot but it should hold up to normal handling of a figure just fine.

So, this is me talking, take it for what you will. I like Loctite Gel superglue. Not only does the glue seem to remain usable and good for much longer than other previous types of glue I've tried but it seems to act a bit to fill gaps. I've been using Apoxie sculpt for a few months now as a alternative to green stuff, and I love it. In addition you can mix it with gs or with Milliput to make it more or less flexible. Also, as was mentioned above on bigger joins it's never a bad idea to pin it.

• Like 2

I've been using Apoxie Sculpt {sic} for gap-filler, and to build out bases with Bones.  I find it works very well with Bones plastic, since it has a very slight flexibility even when fully cured (but is still rigid enough that it can be sanded if necessary).  I would advise getting one of the NON-dyed varieties of Apoxie Sculpt for modelling; while dyed Apoxie Sculpt can have its craft uses, the dyed version not only has a tendency of staining whatever it comes into contact (no big surprise there), but it SEEMS to be a bit more fiddly to work with, as the putty seems to have slightly more tendency to tear and crumble when I'm working with it before it cures.  (I sometimes use black-dyed Apoxie Sculpt for some quickie modifications of pre-painted figures, but the plain stuff makes the most sense for anything I'm going to be painting over anyway.)

I'll also second Loim's judgement of Loctite Gel superglue.  It's a bit pricier than the usual super glue I get, but it can be very useful for joining surfaces that aren't perfect matches for each other.  (Although I tend to use putty with a dot of super glue for that purpose most of the time.)  The gel super glue is also useful for a technique I picked up from Hirst Arts on how to make rivets: you basically apply dots of Loctite Gel with a toothpick, let the gel harden, then go back and sand off the top of the resulting bulb of glue, and you have a passable rivet.  Very useful for steam-punkery.

When joining Bones pieces together for kit-bashes/conversions, I generally try to use a hand-pinning drill to make a small hole, and then use some wire (typically just a straightened-out paper clip with the coating shaved off) to "pin" the pieces together.  I can then use gel super glue or putty as gap-filler.  I also sometimes replace spears, etc., with straight wire, by removing the original spear weapon, drilling a hole through the figure's fist (this is a bit of a challenging with the bendy Bones skeletons, but doable), and running the wire through the hole/hand, with a dot of super glue to anchor it.

• Like 1

I'm currently a fan of vinyl repair glue, as I mentioned in this post:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/?p=1127711

I've used it on about 4-5 medium-to-large figures now, including an Eldritch Horror, Ebonwrath, and a Hydra. It's a gap-filling, flexible joint, though it has to be tightly clamped overnight while it dries, and it shrinks a bit (like all solvent-based glues). It can also soften details on the surface if left on too long -- just like a plastic cement, it joins by slightly melting the facing surfaces together.

EDIT: ...And I used it to attach Rauthuros's wings, too!

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 1

Cyanoacrylate super glues have worked well for me for most Bones to Bones applications. When attaching them to other materials a contact cement like E6000 is a good option, but use it outside or with a vented fan. It emits strong toxic fumes, which are slightly less flammable but more carcinogenic in Canada for some reason.