Say that 3 times fast! ::):

This will be a thread for my sculpting journey. Critiques and tips are GREATLY appreciated (I wouldn't mind a kind word every now and then too ::P:).

I'll get into more details later, but right now I'm looking to a nice Saturday night spent sculpting!

BLkNlIA.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 22
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Say that 3 times fast! This will be a thread for my sculpting journey. Critiques and tips are GREATLY appreciated (I wouldn't mind a kind word every now and then too ). I'll get into more details l

To explain the first post a bit better - I've got my sketchbook out and drew what I wanted to sculpt! This way I can clearly see what I want to sculpt and it keeps my daily drawing going. It's also n

Ahhh! I learned so much at ReaperCon!   So I was saying before that I wasn't really happy with the wolf but I couldn't quite figure out why....   THE FUR (See first fur in the post above).   Cap

Posted Images

To explain the first post a bit better -

I've got my sketchbook out and drew what I wanted to sculpt! This way I can clearly see what I want to sculpt and it keeps my daily drawing going. It's also nice to see at a glance which way fur goes!

I've also got some inspiration - a big photo of the pose I'm looking for, and a lovely wolf painted by Guindyloo for a sense of scale and detail. I believe she said it was a Dark Sword mini.

The white body on the top right is a BIG deer that I'm working on my for mother-in-law. I'll post progress on that if there's interest.

The tiny white dragon by Becca Golins is the size that I'll be looking to create with polymer clay (the ideas I briefly mentioned in the Randomness thread). I've learned that it's always good to have a masterpiece nearby for inspiration and reference. ^_^ I'm not sure if I should post those in this thread - it's sculpting and I'd love to get critiques on it, but it's a different scale and material. :S

Settles in with a soda and box of Raisinetes®.

Hahah!!! Actually....

7VsRQfb.jpg?1

I will say that name brand is way better than the store off brand for these....

While I'm letting the green stuff cure a bit on the wolf's joints, I went back to my very first green stuff attempt - this little guy was almost Flareon, but I wasn't happy with him. So I've stretched his front legs forward a bit to give him a longer body (I'm using old scrap wire, it's pretty pliable). I think the fluffy fur of a snow leopard will suit him nicely. ^_^

We're leaving for the store right now for some sugar and limes  :ph34r: , but then I'll be back to sculpting once this hardens a bit!

• Like 17

Looking good so far!

One critique, everything will go easier if you attach the armature to a cork or vice base that you can use to hold it.  You really don't want to be touching the sculpt itself as you work on it.

• Like 4

Looking good so far!

One critique, everything will go easier if you attach the armature to a cork or vice base that you can use to hold it.  You really don't want to be touching the sculpt itself as you work on it.

Yes, thanks! I didn't know that when I was making Flareon, so my snow leopard will be a tricky. I'm not what to do about him yet.

It was difficult finding a good way to attach a part on the wolf since I wanted her to be free standing (free sitting?). I felt like the back paw would be the easiest place to clip and disguise the connection.

--

This is what I have so far. I've clipped the wire heads off of both of them. I think I was making them too long because I was looking at the fur, not how the muscles sit inside it. I bulked up the wolf body last night, and today I added the paws to both. I'm too clumsy to do more than a couple paws at a time. I keep smushing them!

I'll be messing with polymer clay for the rest of the day while they cure. I haven't figured out if it's alright to post that scale/material here yet. :O

CAlAGjT.jpg?1

• Like 12

look at lots of reference pic of wolves for the anatomy, especially in different poses.  remember your proportions- sometimes it's even good to measure head of time and make sure you have the limb to torso ratio where you want it.  TS's way of building up from a skeleton to the final is fantastic exercise in this.  Awesome project and I hope you have lots of fun with it!!  Enjoy the sticky goodness!

• Like 3

look at lots of reference pic of wolves for the anatomy, especially in different poses.  remember your proportions- sometimes it's even good to measure head of time and make sure you have the limb to torso ratio where you want it.  TS's way of building up from a skeleton to the final is fantastic exercise in this.  Awesome project and I hope you have lots of fun with it!!  Enjoy the sticky goodness!

Thanks! I found a few websites dedicated to comparing wolves to dogs (long, sad topic, people like claiming their dogs are part wolf like it's a good thing and then trying to make money off of it). The photos are invaluable though - like how wolves have more rounded ears, longer legs, etc. ::):

• Like 5

I'll be messing with polymer clay for the rest of the day while they cure. I haven't figured out if it's alright to post that scale/material here yet. :O

<MOD> Yes, that is fine.  Anything to do with sculpting, so long as you are not using the site for marketing research for for profit sculpts (i.e., posting sculpts you intend to cast and sell with the intent of getting feedback on what people want and discussing the where and how to get the sculpts.</MOD>

• Like 8