Jump to content

Recommended Posts

No sculpting this week ::(:

 

But for a good reason! I received some anatomy books from my better half and it reminded me that I need to get the basics done first! So I'm working on drawing fundamentals. I'm so ready to sculpt RIGHT NOW but if I can learn to see basic shapes and anatomy first, my sculpting should be much better. ^_^

 

If you value your sanity, don't get too hung-up on anatomy until you've sculpted at least one human figure just for fun. I have spent the last 3 years "de-bulking" my sculpts down to size, correcting proportions and reducing the size of heads by about half - no kidding, the heads I (try) to sculpt now are literally half the size from 3 years ago. Don't worry too much about proportions or correct anatomy, just try to get the shapes right. It's taken me 6 months to sculpt a woman's butt the right shape.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Say that 3 times fast! This will be a thread for my sculpting journey. Critiques and tips are GREATLY appreciated (I wouldn't mind a kind word every now and then too ). I'll get into more details l

To explain the first post a bit better - I've got my sketchbook out and drew what I wanted to sculpt! This way I can clearly see what I want to sculpt and it keeps my daily drawing going. It's also n

Ahhh! I learned so much at ReaperCon!   So I was saying before that I wasn't really happy with the wolf but I couldn't quite figure out why....   THE FUR (See first fur in the post above).   Cap

Posted Images

 

No sculpting this week ::(:

 

But for a good reason! I received some anatomy books from my better half and it reminded me that I need to get the basics done first! So I'm working on drawing fundamentals. I'm so ready to sculpt RIGHT NOW but if I can learn to see basic shapes and anatomy first, my sculpting should be much better. ^_^

 

If you value your sanity, don't get too hung-up on anatomy until you've sculpted at least one human figure just for fun. I have spent the last 3 years "de-bulking" my sculpts down to size, correcting proportions and reducing the size of heads by about half - no kidding, the heads I (try) to sculpt now are literally half the size from 3 years ago. Don't worry too much about proportions or correct anatomy, just try to get the shapes right. It's taken me 6 months to sculpt a woman's butt the right shape.

 

 

Okay, I'll definitely try to stick with learning the basic shapes then. I want to be able to properly draw people too, so I figured learning anatomy to simplify body shapes would be good.

 

And maybe I'll work on Nerali in a few weeks!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

HAH. I didn't sculpt for months. I've been working on drawing anatomy! I hope that when I can seriously sit down and sculpt in June, it will come in handy!

 

I have a couple questions about green stuff. I am working on two little critters at the moment. And the last minute, I decided I didn't like the face on one and cut it off.

 

This started a weird unraveling process where the little details I had put on a smooth GS surface were easily picked off. First question: Is there a certain way to connect GS parts together that are meant to be separate parts? Like buckles on clothing. The clothing is smooth, so the buckles can't really "stick." Should I rough up the surface a bit?

 

Second question. I had already completed the base and covered the wires when I cut off the head. Now I need to put it back on the cork to resculpt the head. Will hot glue work secure GS to a cork without tearing it later, or is there another already tested way to do this?

 

Thanks :D

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

HAH. I didn't sculpt for months. I've been working on drawing anatomy! I hope that when I can seriously sit down and sculpt in June, it will come in handy!

 

I have a couple questions about green stuff. I am working on two little critters at the moment. And the last minute, I decided I didn't like the face on one and cut it off.

 

This started a weird unraveling process where the little details I had put on a smooth GS surface were easily picked off. First question: Is there a certain way to connect GS parts together that are meant to be separate parts? Like buckles on clothing. The clothing is smooth, so the buckles can't really "stick." Should I rough up the surface a bit?

 

Second question. I had already completed the base and covered the wires when I cut off the head. Now I need to put it back on the cork to resculpt the head. Will hot glue work secure GS to a cork without tearing it later, or is there another already tested way to do this?

 

Thanks :D

 

 

Are you using Vaseline? Petroleum jelly is great stuff but I use it judiciously because it has the side-effect of making the Greenstuff somewhat brittle. If you don't use Vaseline at all, the Greenstuff will retain more pliability and toughness. I wouldn't it worry about it too much though, if you intend to make castings the original will be destroyed in the process anyway, or if you just want to make-it-and-paint-it, you can seal the whole thing with a layer of varnish.

 

If you are applying a small piece such as a belt buckle, you might need to blend it into place with the aid of a little Vaseline; the Vaseline will help to "melt" it to the surface or at least lubricate your tool enough to stop it pulling the buckle off. But yes, roughing-up a surface is definitely a thing; you might scrape it with a craft knife to remove any unwanted oils or sheen.

 

I don't quite follow your second question; do you mean you cut the wires off of the base of the feet?

I top my corks with plastic (glued on with general-purpose "white glue"), if you glue a bit of plastic to a cork, you can superglue a miniature's feet to the plastic. It can be removed later with careful use of a craft-knife and/or removing/bending the plastic.

 

 

IMG_0053.JPG

 

(btw, this armature looks great in the photo, but only in the photo! I had to file it down drastically)

Edited by Speak_Centurion
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, Speak_Centurion said:

Are you using Vaseline? Petroleum jelly is great stuff but I use it judiciously because it has the side-effect of making the Greenstuff somewhat brittle. If you don't use Vaseline at all, the Greenstuff will retain more pliability and toughness. I wouldn't it worry about it too much though, if you intend to make castings the original will be destroyed in the process anyway, or if you just want to make-it-and-paint-it, you can seal the whole thing with a layer of varnish.

 

If you are applying a small piece such as a belt buckle, you might need to blend it into place with the aid of a little Vaseline; the Vaseline will help to "melt" it to the surface or at least lubricate your tool enough to stop it pulling the buckle off. But yes, roughing-up a surface is definitely a thing; you might scrape it with a craft knife to remove any unwanted oils or sheen.

 

I don't quite follow your second question; do you mean you cut the wires off of the base of the feet?

I top my corks with plastic (glued on with general-purpose "white glue"), if you glue a bit of plastic to a cork, you can superglue a miniature's feet to the plastic. It can be removed later with careful use of a craft-knife and/or removing/bending the plastic.

 

(btw, this armature looks great in the photo, but only in the photo! I had to file it down drastically)

 

Thanks for your response! I am using Vaseline sparingly, only on my tool , not mixing it in. I'll try roughing it up before resculpting it again, then!

 

And yeah, so I've read that to finish the base, you cut the wires that were in the cork and bend the extra under, and then finish the base. I thought I was done, so I did that. But now I need to work on it more, so I need a way to stabilize the mini for more work on it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
On 4/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, Morihalda said:

HAH. I didn't sculpt for months. I've been working on drawing anatomy! I hope that when I can seriously sit down and sculpt in June, it will come in handy!

 

I have a couple questions about green stuff. I am working on two little critters at the moment. And the last minute, I decided I didn't like the face on one and cut it off.

 

This started a weird unraveling process where the little details I had put on a smooth GS surface were easily picked off. First question: Is there a certain way to connect GS parts together that are meant to be separate parts? Like buckles on clothing. The clothing is smooth, so the buckles can't really "stick." Should I rough up the surface a bit?

 

Second question. I had already completed the base and covered the wires when I cut off the head. Now I need to put it back on the cork to resculpt the head. Will hot glue work secure GS to a cork without tearing it later, or is there another already tested way to do this?

 

Thanks :D

 

Question 1: I often use a knife to dig a little trench or hole under the attachment point of a small item.  It gives it something to hold onto.  For studs (like on the iron maiden from Bones III, I actually drill a small hole under each one with my pin vice to ensure that the new feature is well anchored.

 

Question 2: Double-sided carpet tape (unless you nee to do a lot of hard pressure sculpting, then you are likely to have to hold the base with your fingers.

 

How's the fur working out?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 7:23 AM, TaleSpinner said:

 

Question 1: I often use a knife to dig a little trench or hole under the attachment point of a small item.  It gives it something to hold onto.  For studs (like on the iron maiden from Bones III, I actually drill a small hole under each one with my pin vice to ensure that the new feature is well anchored.

 

Question 2: Double-sided carpet tape (unless you nee to do a lot of hard pressure sculpting, then you are likely to have to hold the base with your fingers.

 

How's the fur working out?

 

Okay, I will do those things tonight when I work on them!

 

I ended up spending Sunday with my dad for his birthday :bday: so I didn't get to any fur sculpting until yesterday. I grabbed a mini and just started layering it on there, removing it when it dried, and doing it again. It's turning the plastic yellow.....

 

These were the last three tests. I can not for the life of me do long fur properly. Yet.

17918217_424525211256903_1466815162_n.jpg?oh=5831eabff2b73bd854fa24bddaefa090&oe=58F062F8

 

I'm missing the second step, which throws all of it off. I even tried segmenting it to imitate the layers you had but that definitely turned out wrong haha!

See? Layers.

How are you lifting up the epoxy to make a higher layer? Or is this just a super thick piece, and you're flattening the GS less and less as you build each higher layer?

17806972_1306240972796136_1057374840_n.jpg?oh=ed0ed38ba264c80cde521bfc41885bfc&oe=58F0488F

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

 

Okay, I will do those things tonight when I work on them!

 

I ended up spending Sunday with my dad for his birthday :bday: so I didn't get to any fur sculpting until yesterday. I grabbed a mini and just started layering it on there, removing it when it dried, and doing it again. It's turning the plastic yellow.....

 

These were the last three tests. I can not for the life of me do long fur properly. Yet.

17918217_424525211256903_1466815162_n.jpg?oh=5831eabff2b73bd854fa24bddaefa090&oe=58F062F8

 

I'm missing the second step, which throws all of it off. I even tried segmenting it to imitate the layers you had but that definitely turned out wrong haha!

See? Layers.

How are you lifting up the epoxy to make a higher layer? Or is this just a super thick piece, and you're flattening the GS less and less as you build each higher layer?

17806972_1306240972796136_1057374840_n.jpg?oh=ed0ed38ba264c80cde521bfc41885bfc&oe=58F0488F

 

Yeah it is pretty thick.  The putty should be the shape and volume (or close to it) that you want the final fur to be. Then you just insert the tip of the tool and flick back, out and up to lift it.

 

 

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Fur real, I've got to HAND it to you. ::P:

 

LOL.  The hand was from another inpromptu tutorial I did for another friend.  I didn't bother removing it when I showed Mori the fur technique.  Fur is really hard to explain how I do it.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhhhh. So if I'm doing fluffy fur, I need to leave the body thin enough to bulk out with a bit of fur then? Instead of filling it out to the final couple mm?

 

I'll try practicing on a flat surface first then, so I'm not subconsciously thinning it too much to match the cat's shape.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what I need to do is buy a fluffy mini for an example. I bought some wings from the melt table so I could use them as reference one day, but I didn't think about fluffiness! That way I can look and see exactly what the lines I make are doing - if it's the space between fluffs, or if I'm supposed to be making 2 fluffs at a time and the stroke is in between those 2 fluffs, or what. Maybe I'll beat the heck outta some paperclips and see if I can't get a slightly flattened one, instead of using a needle....

 

Cause right now each tiny part looks like this:

***| |***
***| |***
**/ _ \**
*/ /+\ \*

* space between fur tufts that I created with my tool
+ some weird bit of putty that doesn't go anywhere

Instead of... I dunno, however it's supposed to look. That's why I need to get a fluffy mini ::): 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Morihalda
      This thread is brought to you by the number 3!

       
      Table of Contents:
      - Mori Tells a Story: Below
      - Rambling, Part 3: Throughout
      - Mannequin: Completed
      - Kiara: 1: Design, 2: Workflow and Blockout, 3: Finished Blockout,
      - Amaya:
       
      2020 was STILL spent on my brain and learning, even if my hands wouldn't let me practice it.
      Between my arms getting worse and *gestures broadly in 2020,* that didn't leave much energy for socializing either.
      But now that I have fixed arms, I'm excited to pace myself get my butt into the art chair! Wooo! Nevermind, my arms are still dying and the doctor said I have to pace myself.
      As much as I would like to continue with green stuff sculpting, I just can't sculpt physically as long as I can digitally. So for now, digital practice it is!
       
      While I couldn't actually *do* anything with the information I learned over the last year and a half, I took tons of notes and tried to reread them when I could.
      I'm happy to list the videos and books if folks are interested. :)
    • By Morihalda
      Wooo! Since I have arms again, I can paint again!
       
      I know it can be more difficult to get better blends on larger surfaces, but some semblance of brush control seems more important to get back first. That seems easier to do with larger areas first. And I've been dying to work on this piece for years, so it all works out!
       
      These bookends were a gift from a friend a couple years ago. He was moving across the country and entrusted his more fragile Lord of the Rings pieces to me. I loved it. It's a Weta Workshop/Sideshow Collectible titled, "No Admittance."
       
      Bookends in their well-loved, gifted state and after a *very* good dusting last week!

       
      Primed a couple days ago! The weather has been kinda meh for priming so this is the best it's gonna get haha.

       
      I put some color on this morning! Reaper paints, of course. I grabbed The Hobbit audiobook from my library's app, so I'm very excited to cozy up with a good book and get to painting this winter!

       
      (Current time excluding prep: 1.5 hours)
       
      Bah. I'm gonna have to edit this later so Gandalf stays on the right side throughout my photos!
      Edit: You know, I think he looks better on the left. Then you can see both faces properly when turned.
    • By Morihalda
      I apologize for not being on the forums (or doing art) so much lately! Between "2020," a new house, and my arm problems, I lost a lot of drive. Kinda hard to keep up the discipline of practicing and/or enjoying art when you physically can't do it....
       
      We finally saved up enough to get my right arm looked at in late September. I've only mentioned it a few times, but I've had problems in both hands for several years. I already couldn't do too much each day, but back in March my right elbow began to be in severe daily pain too. I couldn't do anything at all for seven months.
       
      My doctor listened (!), called for a test that we were able to do right away, and confirmed that I had pinched nerves in both arms. He said it likely happened when I was a kid and that's why I've had all those other misdiagnosed issues for so many years! Within 10 days, he performed the surgery on both elbows.
       
      I couldn't do anything for another month except pout on the couch LOL but I am finally cleared for all activities again! My hand strength is half of what it should be and it will take some time, but I have a list of exercises to fix that. He also set me up with another doctor who will look at my back problems in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll be able to start running around again too! I miss nature!
       
      I promised the doctor I would take it slow. But! I'm so excited to be back here with everyone for art and friend time!
       
      So how are you all holding up?? I've missed well over 400 pages in the Randomness thread!
    • By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 



    • By Morihalda
      I had to change the title since apparently "March of the Murlocs" is already a thing in the current game. And I was so proud of the name, too!
       
      My husband loves his gift (the biggest and bestest success!!!) but it would have been great if my painting for my ReaperCon entry wasn't so awful two years in a row.
       
      All the details, rambling love stories, and modding/creation details are in my WIP thread here!
       

       

       
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)


×
×
  • Create New...