Bones vs Liquitex Gloss Varnish

18 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Wouldn’t that be reversible, though? Just to stabilize things until back in the lab? Acrylic sealer is permanent and cannot be easily removed.

Yeah, pretty sure that it was. It wasn't a strong glue either. I think it dissolved in alcohol too. It didn't soak deep into the fossil, just a little bit. Paleo isn't my focus at all, and that trip was a while ago. I can pester my friends in that field to check. 

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

It depends on the effect you are looking for. 

Straight out of the bottle any varnish or gloss medium is going to be thick and maybe leave brushstrokes.

Liquitex itself recommends to “Dilute Gloss Medium and Varnish up to 20% for better brushing and leveling” and “Apply Liquitex (Permanent) varnish in 1-3 thin coats, rather than 1 thick coat.” (A “thin coat” implies at least a little dilution).

Gloss varnish does not need to be thick to protect.

Ohhhhhhh!  For some reason, I had always translated "thin coat" to just mean "only have a little on your brush."  ::P:

Do you think it would be use as effective diluted with matte medium?  I only use the gloss varnish for the protection factor, then finish off with Dullcote, so I don't really care if the varnish is actually shiny.

19 minutes ago, Painting Dog said:

Ohhhhhhh!  For some reason, I had always translated "thin coat" to just mean "only have a little on your brush."  ::P:

Do you think it would be use as effective diluted with matte medium?  I only use the gloss varnish for the protection factor, then finish off with Dullcote, so I don't really care if the varnish is actually shiny.

Matte medium is more porous than gloss medium, which is why we use gloss medium for a protective coat even if we are planning a matte finish for the figure.

• Thanks 1

Cyradis,

There are a few sealants that I have had good luck with.  I describe them on my article page dedicated to sealers at http://how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature-painting-sealer-protect.html if you're interested.

One benefit that I find with sealers is that you can seal a miniature at each step of the painting process, then if you get paint into areas you didn't intend to get paint on, while the paint is still wet, you can lightly scrub away the paint with a damp brush.  It's like having an "undo" function when painting.  :)

Have a great day and Happy Painting!