I needed a break from Nathavarr, so I pulled Juliette out of my "to paint" box. Base coated with grey liner, and then primarily Sapphire Blue and Spectral White, and Breast Cancer Awareness Pink.  

13466517_10208327574579258_1227738575961

13450082_10208333200999915_4429262315209

13537591_10208373493927213_5950818303048

13502004_10208373494287222_4553587418482

Not quite done. I can see some cleanup that needs doing around the corset... And the snow effects need some work. 

Before I call it done, any thoughts or suggestions? 

• Like 16

I think she looks great.  The flowers and flowering branch (cherry blossoms?) on her outfit are a neat touch.  

So is somebody beginning to prepare their next Frostgrave warband? :)

Is the blue staining in the snow accidental or intentional?  

I think she looks great.  The flowers and flowering branch (cherry blossoms?) on her outfit are a neat touch.  

So is somebody beginning to prepare their next Frostgrave warband? :)

Is the blue staining in the snow accidental or intentional?  

Thanks! I wanted to do something... different. A little more decorative than I usually do. 

Not necessarily... But maybe... 

Intentional. I wanted to see how the snow effects would look with blue under it. How opaque it is. Think I'll probably go with white or grey in the future. 

Also just realized I forgot the frontal view.

13533061_10208373494087217_5644642944278

Edited by David Brawley
  • Like 5

I do like your color scheme and Asian inspired design. The blue and pink really work well together and it reminds me a lot of the final fight scene of Kill Bill. The blue under her boots is actually a nice effect. It would suggest ice underneath the snow which is not bad at all. I really like the freehand. It really adds to the rather plain robe and fits well the icy surroundings.

Some suggestions to improve the paint job further:

1. I think the freehand could benefit from some highlighting and more contrast. You could outline the branch with a dark brown and the flowers accordingly with a darker version of the base color.

2. On the top of the corset a bit of cleanup where the blue migrates into the white would enhance the look further.

3. The leather straps on the corset would benefit from one more highlight to really make them stand out and delineate them more from the corset.

4. I think some pink migrated to the lower half of her face? If so, I would clean this up, too.

I think the miscast is a bit  of a problem and will affect the final impact of your work. You could paint it as scar tissue, giving her a more menacing appearance. I could also see a tattoo on the side of her face that is miscast to draw the eye away from the imperfection. The best solution would be a head swap in my opinion, but might not be practical in your case.

In general I think the paint job is inspired and does make the best out of a miscast Juliette.

Edited by Peithetairos
  • Like 1

I do like your color scheme and Asian inspired design. The blue and pink really work well together and it reminds me a lot of the final fight scene of Kill Bill. The blue under her boots is actually a nice effect. It would suggest ice underneath the snow which is not bad at all. I really like the freehand. It really adds to the rather plain robe and fits well the icy surroundings.

Some suggestions to improve the paint job further:

1. I think the freehand could benefit from some highlighting and more contrast. You could outline the branch with a dark brown and the flowers accordingly with a darker version of the base color.

2. On the top of the corset a bit of cleanup where the blue migrates into the white would enhance the look further.

3. The leather straps on the corset would benefit from one more highlight to really make them stand out and delineate them more from the corset.

4. I think some pink migrated to the lower half of her face? If so, I would clean this up, too.

I think the miscast is a bit  of a problem and will affect the final impact of your work. You could paint it as scar tissue, giving her a more menacing appearance. I could also see a tattoo on the side of her face that is miscast to draw the eye away from the imperfection. The best solution would be a head swap in my opinion, but might not be practical in your case.

In general I think the paint job is inspired and does make the best out of a miscast Juliette.

Thanks!

1. Good idea! I'll give that a try, though I might use the colors that are already there as the darker color, and just put a lighter color on top.

2. Already done, just haven't taken pics of that yet.

3. Agreed

4. The pink was supposed to be lipstick... :unsure:

As far as the scar/miscast issues on the face... It's mostly hidden by the hair on that side of the face.

You are a bit far along to try this, but my Ellen Stone arrived in similar condition, and here is how I dealt with it:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64003-80003-ellen-stone-cowgirl-bones-version-of-50003-face-off/

I remember seeing that thread. I'm actually perfectly happy with my green skinned alien cowgirl. ^_^  Plus, that seems like way more work than I'm interested in investing in a random bones mini. If I really cared that much, I'd just get the metal version of her. That you pulled if off as well as you did does amaze me though...

• Like 1