Sign in to follow this  
Edsterdoom

Lion Rampant Army - Crusader Arabs

Sometimes I am not sure the house structure works here as I have just decided to invest in a new army at my wargaming club. We have opted for Lions Rampant and I fancied getting some plastic Arabs. The plan is to build a crusader army at a letter date.

Anyway first of all I bought a box of Arab Spearmen and Archers and a box of the Arab Heavy Cavalry. There is plenty of models here for a full retinue so first things first was the initial construction.

The models offer plenty of options and they go together easily.

post-11245-0-11726600-1467057589_thumb.jpeg

I opted to build them all, this way I can play with them even if they are not fully painted. (Although this is frowned upon)

The models were all built and then be bases were textured with a mix of sand and grit and sealed with PVA glue.

post-11245-0-48194500-1467057615_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-55309000-1467057633_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-18207700-1467057647_thumb.jpeg

The models were then undercoated black and left to dry.

• Like 13

Should be fun...I've played a few games of the related Dragon Rampant. Keep an eye out for a few Arabian Nights-style fantasy pieces and you can have them do double duty. What are you thinking of using as units in this warband?

Well I have made a bit more progress in the last few days (nothing else to keep me busy in the uk ;) )

I decided on the 12 archers as the first set of models to paint up. I am aiming to keep the colours fairly basic and to a reasonable tabletop level so the aim is to paint 12 models at a time to keep an element of unit cohesion.

Progress on the first evening is as follows

post-11245-0-32709800-1467058160_thumb.jpeg

Shoes were all painted, bows have been painted and the first base of red has been put on the quivers ( this is to tie the unit together if the army expands)

The plan is to paint a base coat followed by a highlight or two. The models will then be given an army painter soft tone wash.

Some more progress to follow.

• Like 10

Should be fun...I've played a few games of the related Dragon Rampant. Keep an eye out for a few Arabian Nights-style fantasy pieces and you can have them do double duty. What are you thinking of using as units in this warband?

Not sure yet whether it will be 2 units of Bidowers or 1 larger unit of archers. The plan then is two units of Levy Spearmen and then mounted sergeants. I may swap with some fierce foot but I want to experiment with the rules a bit. I played a game with a army of Normans against Saxons and it worked well.

• Like 2

Tonight's progress, I finished the red on the quivers and put some colour onto the socks (grey)

The last step for today was to use some Tanned Flesh and put two coats on the models. Next up will be the robes and trousers.

post-11245-0-24668400-1467062582_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-22922300-1467062594_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-50930900-1467062607_thumb.jpeg

Black undercoat makes taking photos difficult but hopefully more colour will appear on the next photo set.

• Like 9

Lion Rampant is a cool game.  I've got a band of Hundred Years War English and I'm waiting on the Perrys to finish up the French so I can do a quick and cheap opposing force.

• Like 3

Some more progress tonight, but not as much as I hoped. First up is the most complete/ finished model. This one I pressed on with to see what they look like with a Army Painter Soft tone of wash. The plan is to use a limited pallete of light shades for the clothing, blue, green, and a few tan and cream colours.

I have decided to not paint the eyes as this is a tabletop army and I have a deadline to meet for getting them on the table.

post-11245-0-38037100-1467236330_thumb.jpeg

The next two are progressing as well.

post-11245-0-85352400-1467236340_thumb.jpeg

As always comments welcome.

• Like 8

Some more progress on the army, I am continuing with the pale colours. I have slowly got up six models in total now the plan was to put a wash onto a larger group.

post-11245-0-61401100-1467395520_thumb.jpeg

Then I decided it would be a good idea to paint the eyes. The models then looked a bit rubbish as can be see in the next set of photos.

post-11245-0-10566700-1467395545_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-34030900-1467395561_thumb.jpeg

post-11245-0-71743000-1467395573_thumb.jpeg

Not the best idea I have ever had but I can fix this (I hope) by getting the pupil in place and tidying up around the eyes.

Here is the progress so far.

post-11245-0-21996700-1467395616_thumb.jpeg

As always comments welcome. I am sure I will have a few more photos in the next few hours.

Edited by Edsterdoom
  • Like 4

:rock:  hold your fire until you see the white of their eyes....  

:unsure: But Sir!  they are still out of range!

• Like 4