Sign in to follow this  
Loup_Garou_Gras

Glazing lighter over darker colors

I am painting orcs and I base-coated them green.  I am going for a mottled green-yellow color but was wondering if I glaze yellow over green will it be perceived as blue instead of the mottled effect I am envisioning?

I would guess that it would lighten to a more yellow-y green. But the best way to predict how the colors will behave is to make a little sample card and put down some swatches of the base color. Then try layering different colors on top and label each one. It might seem tedious, but it will save you a lot of time re-painting things that didn't quite work out the way you expected. Plus it helps you develop a sense of how your colors work together.

Good luck, and have fun! ^_^

• Like 6

You aren't mixing the colors, if you glaze yellow over green it will become more vibrant green/yellow. I always do a glaze of yellow to my greens to make them pop out, it's the proper way to highlight green.

YELLOW + BLUE = GREEN

GREEN + YELLOW = LIGHTER GREEN

• Like 10

As mentioned, yellow layered over green will just show up as either a yellowish green or a slightly greenish yellow depending on the exact shades involved. You can use yellow to highlight green in order to retain the vibrancy of the color while also lightening it, whereas using white will tend to make the color much paler,

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Ohhh good information here! I'm currently working out a lighter skin scheme for my gretchin (like tiny orks/goblins) so this will be definitely of use!

• Like 1

Color is odd, but for most people Ub3r and Mad Jack have the right of it.  Granted I have used a light blue to highlight a dark green but most times I use yellow to highlight green if I want it to be Green.  White or off whites such as RMS Linen white work well for toning down the green while highlighting it.  I would go with less vibrancy for mottled skin, since in humans it is usually a sign of very bad health.

• Like 4

Hmm - that explains my goblins - I  basecoated yellow and glazed with green and I liked the overall color but it was almost neon.  So use more white to temper the "glow" effect?

As I understand it, that glow effect is from saturated color, and white desaturates most colors making them sorta pastel.  White would help reduce that glow effect.  But try using it in small amounts at first, a little goes a long way.

• Like 5

I am painting orcs and I base-coated them green.  I am going for a mottled green-yellow color but was wondering if I glaze yellow over green will it be perceived as blue instead of the mottled effect I am envisioning?

For the record, green and yellow do not a blue make.  ^_^

• Like 5

Glazing will not really give you a mottled appearance. For that, you should try "stippling": repeatedly jab at your mini with the end of your brush, using slightly thinned paint. Preferable, use an old brush which doesn't hold a good tip any more. Basically you want to make a bunch of small dots. This gives you a mottled appearance. You can highlight and shade by using a lighter color to stipple in the highlight areas and a darker color to stipple in the shadow areas.

• Like 6

Hmm - that explains my goblins - I  basecoated yellow and glazed with green and I liked the overall color but it was almost neon.  So use more white to temper the "glow" effect?

You can add a bit of red or reddish purple to green to desaturate it. And if you're good with glazes, you can use a thin glaze of those colors to desaturate painted bright yellow-green.

• Like 4

I'll add my 2 cents here too...  One thing that I have had success with is to undercoat  the area with a lighter version of the color you are using (ive even used a different color entirely) then paint; stipple; dab a darker color for blotches.  You then glaze the skin with the skin color, repeating several times until the mottling is effective.  The more glazes the more subtle the mottling becomes.  If you want the blotches to be the lighter ones you can reverse the colors.

Good luck and have fun.  Post some pics when you are finished.  I would love to see them.

• Like 2

It will be a few days before I can, but I will certainly post pics.  They are basecoated and clumsily shadowed but ready for "treatment". Will be a fun experiment and hopefully the pics can help out other beginners like myself.  Oh and thanks for the correction on the Yellow + Green not equaling blue to all above. Oops!

• Like 2