Sign in to follow this  

Another Mini from the $5 box at Sarge's Comics in New London, CT that I picked up on the way home from the last NEMPA paint day at the Citadel in Groton, CT.

Just a base coat of 4 drops Caspian Blue with 2 drops Inktensity Black, and 1 drop of Inktensity Blue added...

(Paint was still wet when I took the pics, nice and Scale Color flat now...)

post-14271-0-02968500-1467173572_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-86868300-1467173572_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-62988000-1467173573_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-31369900-1467173574_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-81217100-1467173581.jpg post-14271-0-58625800-1467173583_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-27434100-1467173585_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

George

• Like 15

Looking forward to seeing what you do with him. A classic mini.

Mine has been used as a stand in monster for countless encounters since he first came out.

• Like 1

So I sort of decided on a color scheme for it...

Thinking that since they hang head down from inside cracks in cavern walls, they would likely have vertical striping to help them blend in as a camouflage...

So I started some stripes with Abyssal Blue, Petroleum Grey, and Eclipse Grey...

post-14271-0-24620700-1468140268_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-59110600-1468140275_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-60679800-1468140276_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-64834200-1468140277_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-61409100-1468140278_thumb.jpg

Seems to be following along with what I had in mind...

The eyes are going to be fun! (I am remembering my Cichastus....) I might try them with metallics like the recent Xorn minis...

and I am wondering how hard it might be to make a vertical "L" shaped base with a cavern wall sculpted on it to hang him from...

Thoughts and suggestions??????

Thanks for looking!

George

• Like 8

The only issue with the base is that, because you need a decent-sized area on the bottom to keep it balanced due to having a back wall (and possibly some ceiling on it), you lose focus on the individual miniature and end up having more of a small diorama rather than just a "base" for the single mini...

When you're hanging miniatures off the back wall or ceiling, getting the structural integrity and balance right becomes a much bigger concern - generally the "floor" of the scene is much heavier than the other parts just by default, but when you start shifting miniatures and larger background elements onto the walls and ceiling that can shift the weight and balance of the piece dramatically...

For a cave fisher, you could do a chunk of the cavern floor, have the back "wall" be a fairly thin stone column where stalactite and stalagmite met in the middle, and then have a much smaller chunk of cavern ceiling on top. For a piece the size of that cave fisher (if I recall correctly, it's just under an inch wide, innit?), you'd probably want at least a 2.5-in. base, possibly a metal disc with little bits of lead sprue glued to it to rough out the basic shapes of the details of the base and provide weight, with putty spackled over the top for the finer surface details. You could then drill a hole near the rear of it and glue in a stiff wire or small metal rod to form the backbone of your vertical element, and use wire and putty to sculpt whatever sort of "roof" detail you might want on the top. If the fisher's actually going to be hanging from the roof portion, you'll need to reinforce it a bit: best to put a wire directly from the vertical post out to where the mini itself will be positioned rather than just mount it to whatever details are present.

• Like 2

I will ponder this and draw something.

I like the stripes camo scheme. I think the eyes should stand out in high-contrast somehow.

Bright orange?

Glossy, shiny, black? ...something.

• Like 1

I will ponder this and draw something.

I like the stripes camo scheme. I think the eyes should stand out in high-contrast somehow.

Bright orange?

Glossy, shiny, black? ...something.

With you on this, but not sure what color yet....

Did some more stripes with GW Codex Grey...

Was using my Raphael size 1, as I am trying to force myself to use larger brushes instead of the ubiquitous size 0s...

post-14271-0-70700700-1468210998_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-07033900-1468211000_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-02998400-1468211001_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-32756900-1468211011_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-44501500-1468211012_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-40661900-1468211013_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-40661900-1468211013_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-59502700-1468211014_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-19867900-1468211016_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

George

• Like 6

I like the idea of a small vignette/scenic base for this one.

About the eyes..most cave dweller creatures actually turn blind in nature.

In deep caverns they loose their color and go pale pink, a bit like a pale salmon color.

Maybe this would be a good color for the eyes??

Edited by Xherman1964

I said I was gonna draw up some ideas about a base...

post-7586-0-77001100-1468263716_thumb.jpg

...and with magnet tricks he could have a plainer cave floor alternate base for when he is caught scuttling between ambush spots. 

• Like 4

I've always liked that old Grenadier Cave Fisher sculpt.  Can't wait to see you finish painting it.

The Egg

I'd contemplated grabbing it myself a few times - they have almost the whole box set it's from at the store - but couldn't justify the expense just to satisfy my collecting urge...

Edited by Mad Jack