Vintage British Pathe Toy Soldier Newsreels

Chris Palmer

I found myself surfing YouTube for old British Pathe newsreels this morning, and came across these great toy soldier clips, and thought you all might enjoy them.

Just another night at the wargame club...

Toy soldier manufacturing:

You can find a bunch more by simply going to YouTube and searching "Pathe toy soldiers"

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things really stand out:

1. The narrator mentions that the kids really like it when the grown ups join in, because it means higher quality on the models. You know, instead of somebody getting creeped out and making the grownups feel ashamed for playing because it's somehow "shameful" for grown men to play.

2. It is a given that respectable grown ups are doing this, rather than them being accused of being "40-year-old virgins."

I guess those are both really the same thing, but you get what I mean.

It was respectable.

• Like 5

I also find it fascinating that all miniatures related activities were done in a jacket and tie. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of Peter Cushing painting minis in an ascot!

I've seen that old news spot. Very heartwarming. So many cold hearted, stern and commanding roles onscreen, and then this gentle, happy dude in real life, painting his soldiers and setting a layout up on his floor. Awesome stuff.

• Like 1