Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

Vintage British Pathe Toy Soldier Newsreels

I found myself surfing YouTube for old British Pathe newsreels this morning, and came across these great toy soldier clips, and thought you all might enjoy them.

Just another night at the wargame club...

Toy soldier manufacturing:

You can find a bunch more by simply going to YouTube and searching "Pathe toy soldiers"

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

This is really awesome Thanks for sharing. Kind of goes to show that there have always been people who enjoy this culture.

• Like 1

Two things really stand out:

1. The narrator mentions that the kids really like it when the grown ups join in, because it means higher quality on the models. You know, instead of somebody getting creeped out and making the grownups feel ashamed for playing because it's somehow "shameful" for grown men to play.

2. It is a given that respectable grown ups are doing this, rather than them being accused of being "40-year-old virgins."

I guess those are both really the same thing, but you get what I mean.

It was respectable.

• Like 5

I also find it fascinating that all miniatures related activities were done in a jacket and tie. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of Peter Cushing painting minis in an ascot!

• Like 3

I also find it fascinating that all miniatures related activities were done in a jacket and tie. Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of Peter Cushing painting minis in an ascot!

I've seen that old news spot. Very heartwarming. So many cold hearted, stern and commanding roles onscreen, and then this gentle, happy dude in real life, painting his soldiers and setting a layout up on his floor. Awesome stuff.

• Like 1

These were very interesting! Another interesting thing is that I just saw one of these videos earlier this week on Facebook. I think it might have beeen Tre Manor that posted it.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      So, in the course of loading my miniatures onto the storage shelves last weekend, I opened a box of partially painted figures to find this group.  Sold by Archive in the late '70s, I've owned these since then.  My original paint job on them was unappealing enough that I didn't end up rebasing them in the great rebasing I undertook in the late '90s, and they languished until I started reworking vintage fantasy stuff from my collection around 2015.  Unfortunately they have been languishing again since then, so when I found them this weekend, I decided to dry brush the heck out of them and base them up for gaming.  

• By Pingo
      So, as I mentioned, I was given a pristine old Grenadier set of Champions supervillains for Christmas.

On the cover is a little splash logo: “FREE Starter Scenario Game Aid and Figure Accessories”

The “Starter Scenario Game Aid” is just a folded piece of paper with a hex map on one side and some suggestions on the other.

But the “Figure Accessories” are two actual, substantial molded pieces: a pair of rockets and what I think is a hover-scooter.

You can see them in the middle row on the far right, between two figures, here:
      https://mobile.twitter.com/AchronalA/status/1078009215850029058

These two pieces are not pictured on the box art, nor are they listed in the set description.

They definitely go with the set. The box was sealed when I received it.

They are not mentioned nor shown on the Lost Minis Wiki page of the set: 
      http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Champions_(Grenadier)#4002_Super_Villains_Box_Set

Question: Should I document and upload pictures of these accessories to the wiki?
    • By Rob Dean
      Following the muse today, I set aside my vintage Minifigs orcs for these two Adina hill giants. 

I’ve had one of the rock throwers for many years, although I didn’t know what it was for a long time, but recently managed to pull this pair off of eBay. 

I started with the club-wielder:

There isn’t a lot to them, so both are now waiting while base treatments dry.

I should have them varnished by tomorrow. 

I’ll put Sir Forescale in the next picture. Even for 1978 these weren’t the tallest giants around...

• By Rob Dean
      Finally varnished these guys today...as noted last weekend, they amount to a packet of Broadsword P11 and P12 each, and were acquired in a couple of different eBay purchases. 

Since they had some fun and interesting figures back in the day (~1980) and I didn’t have any of them, I conclude that none of my local hobby shops carried the line.

• By Rob Dean
      My significant other is in a songing competition this weekend, and I’m along for moral support. 

Knowing that I would have some quiet time, I brought my travel paint kit and some miniatures. On the left are five Broadsword rangers, and on the right three Minifigs true orcs. The orcs are part of my Mythical Earth warbands project, but the Broadsword figures are a one-off.

I didn’t have any Broadsword back in the day. Apparently none of the hobby shops I visited stocked them. My first encounter with them was in larger eBay lots while fishing for other old figures. I ended up with four of these archers in a large lot early in my eBay history, and then went looking for the command/personality pack later.

I painted the swordsman/captain and the ranger-bard last summer.

Now that they are almost all done, I hope to get them out as a unit of scouts in a Dragon Rampant game soon. 
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 3 Anonymous, 105 Guests (See full list)