Sign in to follow this  
etherial

Release the Kraken!

All right, time to break out all the elementally aligned minis. My players have decided that their next two adventures will be Urupa, a bustling cosmopolitan coastal city, and Death's Sea, a lake of molten lava. So, Sea Kraken or Fire Kraken?

• Like 5

Neither. Spiced Rum Kraken.

Oh, you mean to combat your players? If you are only doing one (seriously buy another kraken and do both, I would go with the sea kraken as it will have the largest potential for reuse. Save the rum for yourself and drink it as you unleash your creation upon your players.

• Like 8

I agree with dilvish, sea kracken will have the most usability. But a lava kracken, that is a unique and awesome idea!

I'd probably steer away from running two kracken for your adventures though, unless you make them to have greatly different abilities.

• Like 3

Lava kraken! Seriously, yeah you'll get more use out of a water kraken, but who wants to fight one more than once or twice anyways? Either way you'll use it like once per campaign - but the water kraken will be an "oh yeah, we did that" while the KRAKEN OF FIRE will live on in myth. 

Seriously, we still talk about the time we almost got TPKed by THE SEVENTEEN-HEADED PYROHYDRA. That was awesome. Be awesome.

• Like 5

Neither. Spiced Rum Kraken.

Oh, you mean to combat your players? If you are only doing one (seriously buy another kraken and do both, I would go with the sea kraken as it will have the largest potential for reuse. Save the rum for yourself and drink it as you unleash your creation upon your players.

I agree. And save the rum for after you paint it. Or drink all the rum during and make an "artistic" kraken..

• Like 5

Fire Kraken.

Because as much as I agree in theory that a sea Kraken would potentially have broader use, reality has taught me that unless we are somehow working a model into a recurring wargame, most GM do not ever really get round to re-using the big bads. Orcs, yes. Goblins, yes. Even demons, if we are in a long running, demon-filled campaign that contains demon grunts. But a Kraken? Pull the same sea Kraken out twice in two different campaigns, your players are going to roll their eyes at you.

So why not just go for the nutso --- er... gusto? Fire Kraken.

If you have to go with two (and I am not fond of that idea), then at least make the two of them siblings and give them some cosmic, elemental backstory to fit. Some story-driven, in-world reason why there are two, that can overcome the otherwise goofy fact that there are... you know... two.

• Like 5

Hard to say. Yes the sea Kraken would possibly see more use, the fire Kraken just sounds cool!

While looking up stats for the various Death's Sea monsters, I realized that the bugbears that Reaper keeps foisting on me will make great Magmabeasts. Now I just need a use for Gnolls...

• Like 1

With the gnolls, you say? And you have magma bugbears?

The answer is obvious.

Not magma bugbears. Magmabeasts, which look close enough to bugbears for the bugbears to be able to act as substitutes. But there's nothing Gnollish in Barsaive.

• Like 1

With the gnolls, you say? And you have magma bugbears?

The answer is obvious.

Not magma bugbears. Magmabeasts, which look close enough to bugbears for the bugbears to be able to act as substitutes. But there's nothing Gnollish in Barsaive.

PIRATE WEREWOLVES is all I'm sayin'. Don't have to be local.

And this is Earthdawn, right? As I recall, weren't there Jackal-weres or something down in Creana? I based a whole tribe off them in my homebrew setting, but as I recall, they're pretty much exactly gnolls. You could have a bunch of them who were... say, stolen as kits and sold into service on a ship, who later killed the captain and became pirates since they know nothing of any life but the sea. Or merchant traders, bringing their goods to the sea to sell. Or smugglers, moving goods inland from the ships. Or heroes, trying to rescue their own kits (who are being sold as slaves).

• Like 2