GCB tries foam core joinery

post-13048-0-02805200-1469346048_thumb.jpeg

Steps are cut! Since the shelf is going to sit on a wire frame I decided to reinforce the bottom edges by cutting a half inch off the bottom, leaving the paper on one side, then scoring with my mechanical pencil and folding over, scoring again and folding again and gluing, to leave a fully wrapped edge.

The back of the top shelf row is going to also be the back of the paint rack, so I cut 3/16 of an inch off the back so that the top row will match all of the other rows in width.

Once these are glued, I will start cutting out the back and shelves for the rows.

EDIT: I'm not as full of energy as I once was... It's 1:30 AM in the PNW, and I'm gonna have to rest and continue this in the morning.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 10

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a good rest and breakfast, I was ready to go cut more:

post-13048-0-98616500-1469389252_thumb.jpeg

This is all the cuts for the rows, and the front and back to the rack. Very little wastage here! Before I could do this, I first had to do some maths:

Length of all steps, risers: 19-1/2"

Width of step: 1-3/8"

Width of last step: 1-3/16"

Height of risers: 1-1/8" step + 1/2" divider = 1-5/8"

Height of first riser: 1-1/8" step + 1/2" base + 3/16" step = 2-5/16"

Height of last riser/back: 10 x 1-1/8" step + 1/2" base + 3/16" step + 1-5/8" back riser = 11-15/16"

Cut of risers: 1-5/8" + 1/2" fold-over = 2-1/8"

Cut of first riser: 2-5/16" + 2 x 1/2" fold-over = 3-5/16"

Cut of last riser/back: 11-15/16" + 2 x 1/2" fold-over = 12-15/16"

Did I mention? I hate fractions. I'll find out if I made any mistakes when I assemble these. I should switch to metric measurements.

Now to lay out and cut the risers and the sides. It looks like I might need just a little more than 3 sheets to finish this project.

Oh, and yes, I'm using a vinyl floor mat for cutting the foam core. It doesn't seem to dull the blade much, and it needs replacing soon anyway.

• Like 9

Of course. I was test-fitting the pieces together, and noticed the back with a little short. I checked my mouth and:

Height of last riser/back: 9 x 1-1/8" step + 1/2" base + 3/16" step + 1-5/8" back riser = 12-15/16"

Cut of last riser/back: 12-15/16" + 2 x 1/2" fold-over = 13-15/16"

I'll recut what I capn into risers and try to measure the back on the next sheet.

I'm bad at the maths.

• Like 4

...Checked my "mouth"? That stupid text to speech is worse than auto-correct. But it's correct in this case.

I did manage to salvage the back into six risers. i'm folding over the edges on on each and gluing them, and working on the layout of the sites while they dry.

Man this is so fantastic. I love the ideas.

I'm actively checking the forum while I'm working on this today, so if you have any questions feel free to post.

• Like 2

post-13048-0-61999500-1469411774_thumb.jpeg

The sides and the back are cut now. You may think that I haven't cut the fold-over edges for one of the sides. Actually I have, but because they are left and right pieces, I want to fold the edges over so they are hidden on the inside. Similarly, the back piece appears to have only one fold-over edge, but I have put the second fold-over edge on the other side, so that only one of them is visible on the back when the rack is assembled.

Measuring out the sides proved to be something of a nightmare. I finally gave up, and used the step supports I had cut out as a template, tracing them on the board and adding outlines for the steps and risers. That gave me enough to measure out the rest -- a full-size CAD elevation drawing would help here, but I don't have the patience to design this on the computer.

Next up, I finish wrapping the edges. Gluing the pieces so far has proved to be rather troublesome. The Aileens Tacky glue is not drying quickly, so the longer fold-over edges are coming apart quite frequently. I'm having to re-glue each riser several times. I may have to sit and hold each piece until it dries. That will slow me down.

EDIT: For readability. Text-to-speech can make some very "creative" interpretations.

• Like 5

post-13048-0-18320700-1469420216_thumb.jpeg

How do you glue something that's too long to hold? You find some heavy books and a flat surface, or you find something straight and a bunch of clamps to hold it together. You put the glue on and let it dry partially so it will be more tacky when you attach it, and you heavily crease any folds so that the paper won't try to lift up. You glue on something non-porous or put freezer paper down underneath, so that the thing you're gluing won't stick.

And you make several extras, in case you mess up.

I've quite a ways to go, yet.

• Like 5

Since I didn't have any way to clamp the larger pieces while they dried, my evening has been spent this way:

post-13048-0-70079100-1469508215_thumb.jpeg

About 1/2 hour on each riser -- don't move. Thank goodness for YouTube videos!

Here I am bracing the other side:

post-13048-0-33718400-1469508287_thumb.jpeg

If you take the time to get the initial pieces absolutely square, the rest of it goes quickly:

post-13048-0-17080500-1469508455_thumb.jpeg

As I put down the steps I find I don't have to use pins to hold them down. I might be finished tonight!

• Like 8

...and the finished result, in place with paint:

post-13048-0-70529600-1469550281_thumb.jpeg

After getting all the steps and dividers glued on, I glued the sides on and set it sideways for about 45 minutes with books to hold it down.

I dropped all the new paints onto it, and still had enough room for my remaining unshelved paints and a little space left over. I dropped the divider height from 3/4" to 1/2", which allows me to see more of the bottle and read the lower Game Color labels; I wonder if it will make the paints more prone to tipping out. I'm thinking that 3/8" might be more of the ideal divider height.

It's not as polished as the first one I made; I had to trim about 1/8" off the back edge of the side panels to get them to fit on the shelf, and the back panel got damaged when I left a sewing pin on the desk underneath it when I pushed down on it. Still, that's in the back where no one will ever see.

I can now see all of my paints at once on the two racks; and it's bad, in that the wife can also see all of my paints at once, too. I don't think I'll be building more paint racks (or purchasing more paint) in the near future.

Total materials used: 3-1/3 sheets of foam core, two razor blades, and about 1/4 bottle of glue.

Now to rest and try to shake off this great headache I have this morning...

• Like 16

These are so full of awesome, I don't even know where to start.  I wish I had that much flat space around my painting desk to put something like that.  I need something like a long rotating carousel so that I can set it on the edge of my desk and just rotate it. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I had to specifically clear out those spaces for the paint racks. Before this, I just had containers for the paints that I spread out on the floor around the work desk. Even now, the stuff that was on the shelves is now mostly on the floor where the paints were before.

I imagine that if you had a lazy Suzan, you could cut circular bases and kerf long strips to make divider rings, and build up a foam core turntable rack that would look a bit like a wedding cake. I don't know how practical that would be, but it would look neat!

• Like 2