Sign in to follow this  
Guildenstern

Orks painting scheme advice

So, I'm about to start really painting my Orks for 40k and my theme for them is Pirate - which is going to include a lot of conversions eventually and what not based on nautical ships.

Where I'm stuck atm is coming up with a more or less cohesive colour scheme for them. 40K orks are fairly garish but dingy, as they've seen a lot of battles. Reds, Yellows, and Blues are common, pretty much primary colours. Their skin is almost always done up in dark greens.

I am going with the greenskin but for an overall colour scheme I just don't know what to do. Some of the guys I've painted with blue pants (which are going to have white stripes on them, eventually). I don't want blue to be my main colour, overall, nor the other two most prevalent just because they're done a lot.

I was thinking about the use of orange as an accent, to tie all the army together.

The metals are going to be pretty usual steel, with maybe some brass here and there. Ruddy leather for the leathers, where appropriate, I think.

40k orks have a lot of orky symbols, and such that people usually paint in a variety of colours - these are more what I was thinking of doing the orange on.

I was wondering what the more experienced painters thought about this idea, and other accent colours to go with? Purple's not too far off the colorwheel from blue, which is across from the orange. I am not into colour theory, I try to stick with what I know goes together, and I really don't know about orange, nor have I every used it to my knowledge, to paint anything other than fire.

So it's good to stretch, and Orks give a lot of room for variety as well, I think. So suggestions are appreciated :D thanks all!

• Like 2

No blue? Traditional sailor outfits included white bell-bottom trousers and the jacket of blue. Ah, well.

Traditional pirate greatcoats tended to be scarlet with gold trim.

• Like 1

Have you looked up images of ork freebooters?

That is the type of ork you described you are going for, pirate orks.

They dressed in lots of whites and blues, stripes mostly.

They used the jolly roger as their symbol, just sub in an ork skull for the regular skull.

I believed they still used a bunch of black and white checks and dags as well.

I loved them way back in the day, their rules were pretty awesome from what I recall.

• Like 1

Earth pirates (for that matter sailors) from the 16th–17th centuries didn't have uniforms. Officers on Naval ships had uniforms but their men maybe had one uniform outfit. They wore that for shore leave, inspections, or any other event where they were expected to look smart.

Going into battle pirates or ordinary sailors wore random articles of clothing, whatever they had on when "beat-to-quarters" (battle stations) was sounded.

I suggest pick a color (other than yellow) and make sure each Ork has at least one article that color.

These are SpaceOrks right? Their tech gear can all be a common color. Boltaz [orky sp?] Shootaz and all that stuff can carry the common color.

• Like 2

@TGP Yup these are space orks! random articles of clothing sound perfect, fits in very well with the whole Ork thing as well.

@Chaoshead: Freebooters are exactly what I need as inspiration so thanks for that! Still learning a lot about actual 40k lol I've really only been into models for a long time other than WHFB and like Malifaux.

So I working on this as a WIP:

post-14692-0-03318200-1468266607_thumb.jpg

Not a great pic sorry but it kinda carries the idea I think. I'm struggling a bit with the pants, and might not do stripes. I've had a couple attempts now, but they have quite a lot of little bits and such in the way you don't necessarily notice initially until after the basecoat.

Also, I think, as with most horde type armies, I suspect the base will really help unify them as well.

• Like 2

No problem.  Anytime actually.  Just ask.

I played 40k orks for almost 25 years before we stopped playing the big gw games.

I still have orks because some day we will get around to some Gorkamorka again!

• Like 2