The darakan chronicles

Stern Kestrelmann

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 old dwarves and four Ed Pugh skeletons

I like dwarves, and Ed does nice Skellys. †Is it Thursday yet? :)

I'm thinking I'm going to toss the Guardians of the Heavens and Dragons don't Share into my pile as well, after all Christmas is coming. †I'm also thinking about Kaladrax and Gauth but I'm not sure I'm up for the painting challenge, or if hubby is, as they'll be for him.

cbs

Yes, Gauth, what a massive dragon!  I got Gauth for x-mas in 2000.  I should get him out of storage and take some photos of him for all to see.  I painted him as an ancient red, used a whoe bottle of Scab and Gore red.

Hmm, where did I pack him?

As for Kalandrax, this woud be fun to paint as you coud really do a lot with all that bone...

SK

that's what I'm thinking, I do bone well, and wow, there sure is a lot of it.

we've never attempted anything big before, Wyvern Blacksting is the largest painted mini we've completed followed by the hydra.  So it would be a big step for us.  And then space is a consideration, we don't have a safe place to keep them in progress, so I am not sure we'll get to start them yet, but I'm fairly sure they'll come live at my house.

cbs

As has been said elsewhere: Gauth is huge and impressive.

My understanding is that s/he really requires pinning to hold her together properly tho'

Got experience with pinning? I've never even seen an explanation of this process, though I can guess really easily (put dot of paint on part 1, put part 1 together w/ part 2, drill both sides at the paint dot, stick in some wire on both sides, glue everything as normal - this right? all you experts?)

Anyway, the painting is a piece of cake, it's the assembly that'll get ya if you don't do it carefully. (a couple of my early dragons paid the price for my inattentiveness...)

That's about the long and short of it CD. Something else might find useful; before drilling anything, where you have 2 large pieces that need to go together, put black paint on the adjoining edges, or faces. Then when it's dry, kind of 'rub' them together - where the black paint gets rubbed off indicates where you need to do some filing to ensure a good fit.

hey, nice tip smokin'!

i've had to learn painting by myself from scratch (no mentor  :( ) so i have had problems making pieces fit before. i've used putty or gap filling glue to cover it over, but making the pieces fit correctly to begin with is such an elegant solution!