These are three different miniatures representing Jon Pertwee's Doctor from "Doctor Who".  Pertwee played the third incarnation of the Doctor from 1970-1974, with a guest return in 1983.

So there's a cute story here.  My husband is playing a sort of an academic in a Shadowrun game, someone a little flamboyant but not into weaponry or the usual Shadowrun visual tropes.  I mentioned that the Doctor would be a pretty good proxy for that sort of thing, and he found me Crooked Dice's unofficial (but a very good likeness of) Jon-Pertwee-as-the-Doctor figure (as well as a good number of other Crooked Dice figures as a gift). 

The character won't be painted up quite like the Doctor (although as it is turning out the resemblance is pretty strong).  So to satisfy my slightly pedantic interest in having a figure of one of my earliest favorite Doctors to go with my Reaper Bones police box, and also to have a couple of figures to test things on, I pulled out two Black Tree Design miniatures of the third Doctor that I bought last year.

So I have here three completely different miniatures of the third Doctor:  a modern 28mm unofficial, fairly realistic and dynamic one, and two 25mm licensed and official but somewhat cartoony and more static Old School ones.

Here they are based, primed, and washed with Burnt Umber to bring out the details.  The faces are only roughed in, but I think this might be the only picture I took of them all together where you can see the wibbly-wobbly scales.

post-8022-0-00547900-1467766167.jpg

I very quickly fixed up the faces.  I think an argument could be made for the Doctor wearing gloves, but I prefer bare skin for his hands.

post-8022-0-29424800-1467766275.jpg post-8022-0-22296000-1467766282.jpg

I am trying to give the Shadowrun not-Doctor darker hair.  I painted darker hair on the other two too, because I've found it makes a more realistic-looking undercoat for grey hair.

post-8022-0-95929100-1467766421.jpg

post-8022-0-99879100-1467766450.jpg

I lightly brushed a little light brown over the Shadowrun not-Doctor's hair and mixed up a transparent cold not-quite-black from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna and washed it over the parts of his outfit which will be black. 

I find I prefer blacks to be made from multiple layers of dark transparent colors rather than solid opaque layers of a single color.  So there will be more colors added to this clothing.

post-8022-0-68164900-1467766666.jpg post-8022-0-94620200-1467766675.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 17

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor; first Who I ever saw was on PBS on Sunday nights out of the San Antonio channels. I was deeply confused to discover that while Pertwee was the Doctor I was watching (one episode a week!), the Doctor the Brits were watching in that same time frame was some upstart named Tom Baker.

I did not completely understand this until Pertwee "died" at the end of Planet Of Spiders, and mutated into Tom Baker, right there in front of my face. I found the whole thing most traumatizing. Fortunately, I had a tremendous crush on Sarah Jane, and she didn't mutate into anything, but remained this gorgeous little treat with a British accent, and was therefore able to nurse me through the difficult transition period until I realized that Tom Baker was pretty awesome, too.

Black Tree's Pertwee is quite good. Their Tom Baker is mediocre, and their Sarah Jane is awful. I look forward to seeing how your Pertwees develop.

And that sounded really awful, didn't it?

• Like 6

Looking good so far! I've had Dr Who minis on my wishlist for quite a while now and Reaper's Bones police box really has made me want to get them even more, but I've managed to resist so far until other projects are done. I'm really going to enjoy watching you paint yours.

• Like 1

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor; first Who I ever saw was on PBS on Sunday nights out of the San Antonio channels. I was deeply confused to discover that while Pertwee was the Doctor I was watching (one episode a week!), the Doctor the Brits were watching in that same time frame was some upstart named Tom Baker.

I did not completely understand this until Pertwee "died" at the end of Planet Of Spiders, and mutated into Tom Baker, right there in front of my face. I found the whole thing most traumatizing. Fortunately, I had a tremendous crush on Sarah Jane, and she didn't mutate into anything, but remained this gorgeous little treat with a British accent, and was therefore able to nurse me through the difficult transition period until I realized that Tom Baker was pretty awesome, too.

Black Tree's Pertwee is quite good. Their Tom Baker is mediocre, and their Sarah Jane is awful. I look forward to seeing how your Pertwees develop.

And that sounded really awful, didn't it?

Sarah Jane Smith the character was marvelous. 

I misremembered her, mostly because of "The Five Doctors".  The combination of that awful pink dress with the giant bows and the terrible script -- which made her utterly useless and even annoying -- messed up my memories for a long time. 

Then "School Reunion" came and she was brilliant!  Classy and and beautiful and plucky.  And her story was sweet and funny and a little bit tragic.  Then "The Sarah Jane Adventures" came along and they were great fun and so I sat down with the kids and started rewatching the old, old Whos.

And that's when I realized how unjust I had been to poor lovely Sarah Jane Smith.  She was quite a decent companion, and Elisabeth Sladen, the actress who played her, sounds like she was the nicest, most generous soul.

As for Black Tree Design's figures, they are a mixed lot.  All the minis are older sculpts and they only cover Old Who.  They do go through Doctor #8.   The Tom Baker figures are kind of meh and yes, the female companions are terrible.  On the other hand, they are the only people anywhere with genuine 25mm Daleks and fortunately they are pretty good. 

I have found their orders to be a little shambolic, slow, and error-ridden.  I have yet to have an order appear in a timely fashion, or with everything I bought and only what I bought.

BTW, it appears that Crooked Dice now has figures for both Sarah Jane Smith and Jo Grant, but I cannot tell which one is "Plucky Assistant A" and which is "Plucky Assistant B".

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite methods for getting a rich, solid red.  It relies on the optical properties of the pigments: Red Iron Oxide (a.k.a. Mars Red) is solid rust, an opaque, warm orangeish red, generally considered dull but actually pretty useful for most purposes.  Quinacridone Reds are intensely bright but completely transparent and a touch magenta-pinkish on average.  They also are pretty weak tinters; you need a lot in a color mix to have an effect, and they are easy enough to make subtle glazes with.

I start with a layer of Red Oxide.

post-8022-0-83492100-1467854905.jpg

post-8022-0-79386000-1467854912.jpg

post-8022-0-67467800-1467854922.jpg

Then I glaze over it with Quinacridone Crimson.  The cool violet cast of the Quinacridone neutralizes the warm orange tones in the Red Oxide and one is left with a bright red that is not flat but has subtle variations of cast and tone.

post-8022-0-53069500-1467855063.jpg

post-8022-0-71972300-1467855075.jpg

Then I start laying on highlights.  They look absurdly pink, but this is not a problem because I am going to glaze over them with a blend of Quinacridone warmed up with some transparent yellow.

post-8022-0-52293100-1467855152.jpg

post-8022-0-37666100-1467855158.jpg

post-8022-0-95820100-1467855164.jpg

And here we go.  Quinacridone Crimson blended with a dab of Hansa Yellow Light makes a pretty red color with terrible coverage but great glazing properties.  It takes those highlights right down and smooths them out.

post-8022-0-12776700-1467855246.jpg

The last thing I do here is mix a transparent violet from Quinacridone Crimson and Phthalo Blue and glaze it into the shadows of the cloak lining.

post-8022-0-46094700-1467855324.jpg

post-8022-0-43143000-1467855330.jpg

Using the same pigments in the mixes means that the colors will harmonize with each other, something useful for smooth, satiny blends.  You can get more jazzy, exciting results by mixing similar shades from completely different pigments, which is something I use in other areas.

• Like 11

Sarah Jane was THE companion. Admittedly, I was prepubescent at the time, but I'd have followed her across the universe and back. And she was one of the first companions to NOT make a point of getting run over roughshod by the Doctor. She was as interesting as he was... although that accent...rrowr.

Some part of me still felt that way when she came back for "School Reunion" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures." Sigh... <3

Am I mistaken, or does Shadowrun NotDoc look a bit like David Morrissey as The Next Doctor?

large_doctor-who-next-doctor.jpg the-walking-dead-david-morrissey-governo

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3

Am I mistaken, or does Shadowrun NotDoc look a bit like David Morrissey as The Next Doctor?

Possibly? I suspect the resemblance is enhanced by the dark color of this figure's hair. If it were painted white or pale grey the resemblance to Morrissey might be less obvious.

I think that David Morissey's character in that story was very deliberately costumed and made up to be visually reminiscent of a number of Doctors combined.

The miniature artist did a good job of sculpting a likeness of Jon Pertwee's face, I think. Whoever Crooked Dice has working for them has a real talent for portraiture.

• Like 2

Here's another one of those mind-blowing color things.

So I painted a little greenery on their bases.

The green is mixed from Hansa Yellow Opaque -- a very bright lemon yellow -- and a tiny (it has to be a very tiny amount) dab of Carbon Black.

And that's all.

I worked on the bases wet, sloshed on a layer of Hansa Yellow Opaque and blended a tiny brush-tip of black right in to the wet paint on the bases.  I adjusted with a little more yellow here and there, and let the brown underlayer show through a bit. The shadows are just a tiny bit more black added to the mix.

post-8022-0-04886500-1467905889.jpg post-8022-0-26917700-1467905895.jpg

post-8022-0-66639400-1467905926.jpg post-8022-0-20560600-1467905934.jpg

ETA:  Oh yes, and I painted some white and pale grey on the two older figures' hair.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 12

So cool! Lovely job on the models and wow really does look like Pertwee.

So sad when Sarah Jane passed. I know I know I mean Elisabeth Sladen. I have her autobiography and to be perfectly honest I haven't been able to bear to read it, even.

I feel your pain as well Dr. Bedlam, that's the way I felt with #2 turning into #3 - was such a shock. Though I was quite little so probably wouldn't have understood it anyway. Plus remember we didn't have internet so the news as to who the new doctor was, was horribly slow back then!

Anyway, your Pertwees look marvelous so much nostalgia there!

• Like 1

Ooo, I saw it that time on the cloak: the magic Pingo moment! Where everything goes from looking unfinished to suddenly gorgeous and awesome all at once! :wub:

I keep flipping back and forth between the picture of before the Quinacridone Crimson/Hansa Yellow Light glaze and the picture after, and my mind is just totally blown.  ::o: I think I may need to do more experiments with glazing.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

I took the transparent near-black mixed from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna and washed it over the older figures where they were going to be black.

I'm planning to put the pointing one in a black cloak lined with purple satin to match an old FASA figure of Pertwee I used to have.

I think I'd like to paint the standing one in the sort of overcoat he was wearing in "The Five Doctors", camel with red and black tartan.  I also put a very light wash of transparent violet (mixed from Phthalo Blue and Quinacridone Magenta) on his jacket as a reminder of where I'd like to go with it.
post-8022-0-27976800-1468085461.jpg post-8022-0-88997300-1468085473.jpg

post-8022-0-54188100-1468085467.jpg

I  took that transparent violet and washed it over the lining of the pointing Doctor's cloak.  While it was still wet I worked some Titanium White into it, at first just a little and then in smaller areas a little more.

The underlying dark brown shows through the transparent violet, but the opaque Titanium White makes the color both paler and more pure.

post-8022-0-29808200-1468085718.jpg

• Like 5