What should I know about brush-on primer?

Vallejo also has a Liquid Mask you can use to seal off the base. 

You can also cut off the miniature from the base. Easier to paint the underside that way.

With this many mini's, stick with the spray primer. Zenithal prime with a complete spray in black, followed by a highlight spray in white.

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vallejo also has a Liquid Mask you can use to seal off the base. 

You can also cut off the miniature from the base. Easier to paint the underside that way.

With this many mini's, stick with the spray primer. Zenithal prime with a complete spray in black, followed by a highlight spray in white.

Five minis will take so much time that I should spray?  I presumed priming with brush-on would go quickly given that I just need to apply it to everything.  Am I wrong?

I'm fearful that if I apply tape or whatever to the base, I'm going to miss something.  Not thrilled about repainting the bases either since they are color coded to match their pieces.

• Like 1

One figure takes long enough that I'd rather spray.  ^_^ And from your first post, it sounded like you would prefer to use spray as well.

But as can be seen from other responses, YMMV. There's nothing wrong with using brush-on other than the whole brushing thing.

If it matters, you can clean off overspray pretty easily with organic thinner as long as you get to it soon after you spray.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I ended up going crazy with the tape for about ten minutes, tearing off tiny strips and taping all around each of the bases before priming with Army Painter Fur Brown.  There's a little color on a few of the bases, but overall they turned out pretty well.

post-14161-0-15801500-1467858235_thumb.jpg

post-14161-0-88743800-1467858300_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Five minis will take so much time that I should spray?  I presumed priming with brush-on would go quickly given that I just need to apply it to everything.  Am I wrong?

I'm fearful that if I apply tape or whatever to the base, I'm going to miss something.  Not thrilled about repainting the bases either since they are color coded to match their pieces.

Oh, I thought Scythe had more than five mini's. N/M.

So, if these are five unique figures, paint the lighter areas in white, and darker areas in black. Any areas you're not sure don't really matter. Frex, this mini's arms are exposed, so I primed them in white. Guns are typically black, so I primed them in black. The rest was white primer washed with ink, but could have been black primer highlighted with white. You can also see with brush-on primer how little of the base gets the primer on it. For the edges of the bases, with brush-on primer, you can just wipe off any stray paint with your fingers.

pic3087213_md.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, I thought Scythe had more than five mini's. N/M.

So, if these are five unique figures, paint the lighter areas in white, and darker areas in black. Any areas you're not sure don't really matter. Frex, this mini's arms are exposed, so I primed them in white. Guns are typically black, so I primed them in black. The rest was white primer washed with ink, but could have been black primer highlighted with white. You can also see with brush-on primer how little of the base gets the primer on it. For the edges of the bases, with brush-on primer, you can just wipe off any stray paint with your fingers.

pic3087213_md.jpg

<waves>

Not that's a picture I recognize from BGG! 

• Like 1

for the overflow of paint on the bases, you can probably carefully scrape it off with an exacto (I'd prolly use the dull, back part). Check that the plastic on those minis is coloured plastic and not some sort of cover or paint (can try the underside, see if you scrape any off). This is what I do when I slop a bit and it usally comes off ok.

Great lots of advice in this thread! keeping it all in mind

Dumb, dumb, dumb for a novice like me, but I decided to do the tiger first.  Should be interesting.  Did the whole thing a rusty orange, then tried to drybrush on some white up front on the face and neck.

Think I'll continue this thread as a WIP.

post-14161-0-41448200-1467953000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Genghis_Sean

Not really wanting to start yet another new thread for this question, so let me try just throwing this out there:  If you look at my pic directly above, you'll see that the primer is textured.  I'm told this is because it was because I primed in too high humidity.  I'm not sure how to gage that, but I primed in the afternoon on an 80 degree day.  Would doing it in the morning or at sunset have made any difference?

Now, my true question:  What do I do about it?  At arm's length, the face texturing doesn't look noticeable, though it is in the closeup above.  Do I go ahead with it or strip it somehow?  I don't care about the rest of it because a tiger should be fuzzy as should her cap.  If I do anything to wipe the face, I might do the rest of her as well.  Should I?  And if I should, how do I go about it?

Lots of questions, sorry, but thanks for any advice.

High humidity you need to check for yourself looking at the current weather in your location, lots of regions it varies during time of day, year, temperature, elevation, etc.. I'm thinking it's anything over 60% (but I live in the desert and anything over 20% is "high" to me haha!).

The only way to fix that would be to strip the primer with something like simple green cleaner. Then re-apply at a time the humidity is lower in your area or use brush on primer at any time. This is one of the reasons so many like brush-on primers, they don't care about humidity or temperature variations and you can do at your desk rather than going outside or having to wear a mask.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

If you want to fix small areas, a brush with Simple Green might help.

You can also try some isopropyl alcohol carefully and lightly applied with a cotton swab will remove the icky primer. Just be careful as it could melt plastic.

You can then use brush-on primer to touch up these areas.

• Like 1