SparrowMarie

Darkstone Hydra: Shadows of Brimstone

I did this yesterday as a quick paint. Took about an hourish overall. I'm pretty happy with it, could probably use a few tweaks here and there. I'll pull out my light box later and post it up on my blog for a better quality, I just took it with my cell phone for now.

post-13972-0-08090900-1467913014_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Oh, now thurr is a most handsome snake monster. Makes me want to go buy the game!

• Like 2

Is that from one of the expansions? It looks cool. I found the minis from the base game to require a lot of prep to make the assembly look decent when primed.

• Like 1

Is that from one of the expansions? It looks cool. I found the minis from the base game to require a lot of prep to make the assembly look decent when primed.

Yes it's from an expansion pack. The newer models are a little nicer but still take a bit of work to look decent. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Diversity is important, and my Imperial forces and Venerians have been lacking. Well, I mean there's some ethnic diversity, but all the Venerians are ladies and all the Imperials are men. So here's a male Venerian (Hydra Valkeeri Mind Slave B if I recall). He looks like he should be played with minimal charisma by an actor named Brick Manjaw. Or Chet Chesthair, something of that nature.

Him with the gals: 

And likewise from the Valkeeri line, here's Empress Xenovia. But a) she's an Empress, and b) the outfit seems a bit more like the Imperials of Lord Zarek than the retrofuture vavoom Valkeeri. 

And the whole crew: 

• By Maledrakh
      All Hail Hydra!

This one I have put off painting since way back when. In it's unpainted form I thought it had soft details and was a bit crude. As soon as I started painting it now, the drybrushing revealed another side to it, so to speak.
      It turned out much better than I expected, mainly as the faces are easier to read than when unpainted, and the details are not as shallow as I had thought.

Again, I use a big brush when painting big bones, this one was mainly painted with a 15mm wide flat and a 5mm flat. It was painted mainly with drybrushing with no washes used at all.
      I started over a black undercoat, I painted the entire thing with new Citadel Incubi Darkness, and drybrushed this heavily with new Citadel Kantor Blue. Next was a heavy drybrush with old Gamecraft Olive Green on the top half and Vallejo Game Color Dead Flesh on the bottom half.
      The stripes are in an old dark red I think is Leviathan Fire Dragon Red. I am not quite sure, as it was poured over into another pot at some point, and I did not write what it was on the new pot. I drybrushed the stripes with new Citadel Wazzdakka Red.
      The back ridges, horns and claws were done with new Citadel XV-88, Bleached Bone and Reaper Splintered Bone. The mouths were painted Kantor Blue followed by Citadel Screamer Pink and Wazdakka Red, and a mix with yellow at the edges. Eyes in bleached bone, Yriel Yellow and Wazdakka Red. Teeth in Reaper Splintered Bone.

I printed out a base for it, and built it a little up on the front end to make the beast stand a little taller. The cracks and edges were hidden with clumps of tufts.

Many of the miniatures in the first Bones kickstarter were based on metal minis already in production. Might this be a factor for softer details on those than on the newer ones?
      This was a paid add on on the KS.

77191 Hydra
      Reaper Bones, from the first kickstarter 2013
      Sculpted by Sandra Garrity
      Made from Bonesium PVC
      Bespoke printed 130mmx80mm base
      Currently available from reapermini.com

• By Rigel
      As every space-cadet knows, life exists just about everywhere it can. Our spiral arm is just teeming with sentient species, Space Monsters, and things in between.

These silicious stalagmen, the Slishans of Titan, are probably in-between. They're from Hydra's Retro Raygun series, and their grumpy expressions and rugose crusts are delightful. 

Meet Gak and Yurk: 

And their colleague, Vork. Wait! Vork's got a gun! How did it get a gun? IS it actually a gun? Does it know how to use it--and if so, will Vork be a benevolent leader? 

Last but certainly not least, Old Grandcestor One-Tusk. I got a Roper in one of those WotC random boxes, and then never used it for a year. So I got some Green Stuff and put lips, tusks, a tongue, and an extra pair of eyes on there. 

What great spacebastards they are!

• By Rigel
      A wonderful piece of pulp adventure terrain, suitable for the Serpent Men of Valusia, the Yuan-Ti or Lizardfolk, or any game with dinosaur cults or a reptilian civilization. @Glitterwolf might find this useful--and it's a very painter-friendly sculpt.  

For scale, we have a 28mm Kirangozi and a 32mm safari explorer. 

• By Rigel
      If anyone looks qualified to declaim the Litany of ZAREK into an Omnicrophone from atop a golden hover-chariot, it is surely 62107, the Aeon Priest from Reaper's Numenera line. Look at this robed and jowled hierophant!

I feel like I should put more patterning on the robe, besides the Eye of Marduk. Any suggestions? 

There was also a Githzerai Monk I got in a grab-bag some years back and never used. A quick repaint and a pair of chainmail rings later, and hey presto! an Imperial assassin. 

And here's the landing party in total. If they need to conquer a *second* planet in the same day, they might ask for backup. 

(A lot of alien worlds look like the southern California Desert; this is well-known.)
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 266 Guests (See full list)