Need help identifying a dragon / dino / possibly monster.

TGP

I spotted this big dragon/dino thing on a blog page. Can anyone ID the maker or source? I would like to find one.

gruntz%2B783.JPG

The blogger said he found it at a garden store. Spoilered for huge 1600x1280 picture.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HA!   ::P:  ::P:  ::P:

Very first sponsored hit on an image search for "toy dragon", lol....  ::D: (Link to picture only)

It's the Schliech "Dragon Hunter"... Currently sale-priced for $13 (regular $17.49) if you order it from WalMart.Com...

(I thought it looked familiar, but the paintjob threw me off for a bit... Generally, though, for any sort of dragon-ish/monster-ish creature of that size, if it didn't come from a hobby shop or online retailer your first and most likely image search should be for something like "toy dragon" or "plastic dragon" and brand names like Schliech, Safari LTD and Papo.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7

Thank you Jack! My google-fu** was not up to snuff today.

It may become a Dread Saurian.

**do not try "wingless dragon toy" as an image search at work. highly un-recommended.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

The downside to Schliech and Safari LTD toys, though, is that there's actually a secondary market for the discontinued figures, which jacks up the prices on pretty much all the figures (discontinued or otherwise) if you get them off Evilbay or anywhere else other than the company website or a physical store... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I was very pleased/amazed it only took this forum 10 minutes to ID the mystery mini.

Wondering if it is a little on the small side for a DS....but the DS may just look large in pictures.

• Like 2

Eh, actually not that hard to identify - the fact that it was acquired in a store that normally wouldn't sell miniatures was the main give-away. Plus, the other miniatures provided a scale reference, and there are only a limited number of miniatures of that size - nearly all of which are dragons and well-documented/well-known/well-remembered... As it wasn't one of those, that either means it's something fairly recent, or not a miniature. Since it doesn't have the particular style of any of the major miniature/gaming companies - and was acquired in a garden store - that meant that it was almost certainly a plastic toy. Since it's a high-quality well-detailed sculpt, that narrowed it down to basically the three major brands of plastic creatures: Schliech, Safari LTD or Papo, or at the very least provided a very likely place to start searching.

• Like 2