brushmistress

Tamiya Clear Colors

I really like the Reaper Clears thinned down and the Scale 75's Inktensity thinned down, both can be easily thinned down with water alone to become more translucent to create the glaze and tinting you want I think. Inktensity dries pretty shiny tho, so you'd have to make sure to it it with a matte sealant after you are all done with them to knock it down.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the help and answers.

@Clever Crow - I bought 2 pots of liquitex inks, but it seems to me that they have an opacity to them (like there is white in the ink). Maybe I just picked the wrong ones? I'm looking for intense color that is translucent. 

And it sounds like the Tamiya clears are far too goopy for what I'm looking for.

I painted the below model many years ago, using the GW Purple ink as my shade, and it produced an effect that I haven't been able to replicate since. :(

The liquitex may have some white but I have used them for some great color shifts and adding intensity with minimal base color impact. They have 3 really fun violet/purples that are great. Might be worth a try.

I have tried the scale 75 inks and they are good but as a;ready mentioned they can be shiny.

• Like 4

Another option: Vallejo Game Inks, which I've found to be very intense and very clear.  They thin like normal acrylic paints.  They're what my FLGS stocks and I've been happy with them.

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 2

@Clever Crow - I bought 2 pots of liquitex inks, but it seems to me that they have an opacity to them (like there is white in the ink). Maybe I just picked the wrong ones? I'm looking for intense color that is translucent. 

liquitex inks list their transparency on the bottle. some of them are opaque, many are translucent, some semi (they are ok, but I only considered trying to use them as highlights on translucent minis.

I can't find the color chart from the liquitex site but found one that indicates which ones are transparent

liquitex-acrink-colorchart.jpg

It seems like they only sell sets now, so maybe the individual ones are hard to find. I bought a ton because they were always on sale. Or maybe it's just what they sell from their site.

Daler Rowney has more colors than liquitex and have about 17 transparent colours (you have to download the pdf from their site to get the listing of which ones are which. But here's an idea of the color range

inks-FW-acrylics.gif

• Like 2

If the old hex pots are the late-90s old hex pots before GW reformulated, then Coat D'arms inks should be exactly the same.  It only diverges where GW began to use smaller pots (though it may still be a close match for them).  CDA is the old citadel with a new label.

It really depends how you define old.

• Like 4

A WIP from tonight, on the bracers I used the Tamiya Clear Orange over several layers of RMS Scorched Metal plus Citadel Dwarf Bronze:  

ronan1_zps534uhnu4.jpg

• Like 3

I really like the Reaper Clears thinned down and the Scale 75's Inktensity thinned down, both can be easily thinned down with water alone to become more translucent to create the glaze and tinting you want I think. Inktensity dries pretty shiny tho, so you'd have to make sure to it it with a matte sealant after you are all done with them to knock it down.

Thanks Uber.  I was wondering if someone was going to mention Reaper paint.  Has anyone else had good experiences with the Reaper clear paints?  How does the red work for blood?

• Like 1

Anne has described the Clears as just pigment plus binder, without any additives to increase their opacity. IME, they really work nothing like the Tamiya Clears.

That said, I find them quite useful for tinting and glazing, because they're highly saturated pure colors.

• Like 3

The clear red is very much a "cherry" red, so not great for blood. Mix in just a bit of clear purple improves it greatly.

• Like 2

I stay away from Tamiya paints in general.  I find them the most difficult to work with, they dry very quickly, and their shelf life is relatively short.

Just MHO.

Thank you all for the help and answers.

And it sounds like the Tamiya clears are far too goopy for what I'm looking for.

I painted the below model many years ago, using the GW Purple ink as my shade, and it produced an effect that I haven't been able to replicate since. :(

The liquitex may have some white but I have used them for some great color shifts and adding intensity with minimal base color impact. They have 3 really fun violet/purples that are great. Might be worth a try.

I have tried the scale 75 inks and they are good but as a;ready mentioned they can be shiny.

Yeah, the brown is silly shiny.

I stay away from Tamiya paints in general.  I find them the most difficult to work with, they dry very quickly, and their shelf life is relatively short.

Just MHO.

I mix the Tamiya clears with their thinner in small amounts on the concave side of glass beaker lid.

This lets me see if they are thinned enough for brushing and monitor their drying easily.

The Tamiya clears at least have a long shelf life, I have used some of my fathers 10 year old jars and they work fine.