One at-a-time or Batches?

Clearman

Depends on the pieces. I'm working on some Stormtroopers right now. Batch painting is the only way to do it. But If i'm doing the a few Hero's I'll prime them at the same time and maybe do some cross over if something causes my eye. I think it's really just a tool and when you need to batch paint or not.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to watch out for with batch painting is fatigue. It can be depressing to spend a few hours and look at the results and think "well, I got all the base coats and a couple shades in, but everything is in a 'looks like crap, part of the process' phase", 

When you start to feel that too often, it's time to switch how you approach things for a while, even if it means less efficiency in the long run.

• Like 3

So, what y'all are saying is that, even among mini painters - nobody likes to watch paint dry.

Google Hangouts say otherwise.

But yeah, batches allow layers to dry on individual minis while working on others.

• Like 1

I do both, but I limit how many projects I have on the desk at any one time. Usually from one to four character models and one unit. Units ar done in batches, characters are done individually. By doing it this way, my production numbers have skyrocketed.

I paint most of my stuff in single form.  Takes forever in some cases, but I have LOTS.  In some cases, I do batch paint, but I find I get overwhelmed if I paint more than 4-5 models together.  I know a few people batch paint huge armies, especially for larger than skirmish games, which I do not play (currently).

Edited by Darkmeer

Just realised I never actually answered the question.  Oops!  :ph34r:

For myself, I like to do both batches and single minis.  I find that both give me a different feeling of satisfaction and that switching between them helps to keep my motivation up.

For batches - I like the feeling of satisfaction I get when I finish the batch and look at ALL of the minis that I just finished painting.  I'm a really slow painter so this feeling is actually worth something to me!

For single minis - I tend to spend more time on detail than I would on batch minis so the satisfaction comes from a mini painted to the best of my (limited) ability.

Mr. Thorne probably should tell the funny story about how I had Nethyrmaul pretty much complete until I realized I had /forgotten to paint one of his legs/.

I did find and rectify this horrible mistake, but I was freaking out until I had.

That's the only problem I've ever had with batch-painting a large mini. ^^;

• Like 1

I focus on 1-2 models at a time, but I typically have several models in various stages of completion on my desk.  I jump around from model to model depending on what I feel like painting at that time.  Currently, I have five models in various stages on my desk (I've been as high as 20+ individual characters, but that's not recommended).

I usually have several minis in various stages of completion at any given time. Sometimes, when doing a group of similar minis I will actually batch paint them in stages. If I am working on character/monster models that I am really excited about then I make SURE to have more than one going at a time. If I only have a single mini on the table at a time then impatience has a better chance of getting its hands around my throat and forcing me to rush paint a mini that deserves a better job.