Mouselings from Bones (77290, 77287, 77288) Pic Heavy

In between working on my Summer Exchange piece, and a couple of pieces for one of my players, I found time for these little guys. 

As you know heroes come in all shapes and sizes. They were inspired by one of my favorite comics to date, MouseGuard by David Petersen. These were a blast to paint, and actually didn't take very long. I completed them over two nights - a week apart - during our paint and chat sessions online. We are planning to run a Mouseguard RPG game soon, so these might actually end up on the table.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did painting them!

Also, sorry about the lighting. My white light lamp has gone kaput and I need to pick up another one. Eventually I am going to get around to making a lightbox. That will solve a lot of the lighting issues.

post-7013-0-81119500-1468939357_thumb.jpg

post-7013-0-28724500-1468939378_thumb.jpgpost-7013-0-92186000-1468939378_thumb.jpg

post-7013-0-63928700-1468939379_thumb.jpgpost-7013-0-29179700-1468939380_thumb.jpg

post-7013-0-19850700-1468939398_thumb.jpgpost-7013-0-90466900-1468939398_thumb.jpg

post-7013-0-58311400-1468939399_thumb.jpgpost-7013-0-30337800-1468939400_thumb.jpg

post-7013-0-97202200-1468939400_thumb.jpgpost-7013-0-63299600-1468939401_thumb.jpg

CAH

• Like 19
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, sorry about the lighting. My white light lamp has gone kaput and I need to pick up another one. Eventually I am going to get around to making a lightbox. That will solve a lot of the lighting issues.

I like the minis quite a bit. They're a very coherent group.

On photography, a few suggestions:

• Your camera is seeing the stone grid you're using for a background as a fine place from which to pull focus. (It has strong, straight edges, which most focusing algorithms like.) On the shots where it did pull focus from the stone, the mouseling is out of focus. I'd recommend you either use a single-point focus mode (if your camera has one and you know how to get to it) set on the face of the figure or use a less strongly patterned background.
  • Your brightest current light is coming from camera right and behind the subjects. Some of that light is entering your lens at an angle, then bouncing around and giving you that slight fogging on all your shots. If you rotate your shooting setup so that light is coming in from over your shoulder (I'm assuming it's from a window, otherwise, move the light), you should lose the fogging. In addition, that should give you fine light on the fronts of the minis, which are a bit underexposed right now.
  • It also looks like you're using a mix of warm white and cool white light (daylight and tungsten or indoor balanced LEDs for instance). This is giving you a shift toward orange on the camera left side of the figures and a shift toward blue on camera right. I'd recommend using either all warm lights or all cool lights (a mix of daylight and daylight-balanced LEDs, perhaps).
  • A light box is unlikely to help your photography. Miniatures, at least erect bipedal miniatures, really should be lit from the front (just like people), not the top. Lightboxes are designed to give you diffuse light from the top, which is great for photographing computer mice*, but not so much mouselings.

Hope that helps some.

* And jewelry, and many other Ebay-able sorts of products, which is why they're popular with people who shoot those things.

HTH

• Like 4

I like the minis quite a bit. They're a very coherent group.

On photography, a few suggestions:

• Your camera is seeing the stone grid you're using for a background as a fine place from which to pull focus. (It has strong, straight edges, which most focusing algorithms like.) On the shots where it did pull focus from the stone, the mouseling is out of focus. I'd recommend you either use a single-point focus mode (if your camera has one and you know how to get to it) set on the face of the figure or use a less strongly patterned background.
  • Your brightest current light is coming from camera right and behind the subjects. Some of that light is entering your lens at an angle, then bouncing around and giving you that slight fogging on all your shots. If you rotate your shooting setup so that light is coming in from over your shoulder (I'm assuming it's from a window, otherwise, move the light), you should lose the fogging. In addition, that should give you fine light on the fronts of the minis, which are a bit underexposed right now.
  • It also looks like you're using a mix of warm white and cool white light (daylight and tungsten or indoor balanced LEDs for instance). This is giving you a shift toward orange on the camera left side of the figures and a shift toward blue on camera right. I'd recommend using either all warm lights or all cool lights (a mix of daylight and daylight-balanced LEDs, perhaps).
  • A light box is unlikely to help your photography. Miniatures, at least erect bipedal miniatures, really should be lit from the front (just like people), not the top. Lightboxes are designed to give you diffuse light from the top, which is great for photographing computer mice*, but not so much mouselings.

Hope that helps some.

* And jewelry, and many other Ebay-able sorts of products, which is why they're popular with people who shoot those things.

HTH

Thanks for the insight, I do appreciate it.  I'm going to do some more reading on picture taking, and lighting, see if I can use what you posted as a jumping off point to better picture taking.  Just another reason I love this community!

CAH