ReaperCon 2016 Class Descriptions

I tried peeling through this thread as well as some searches to see if this had been answered, so hopefully this is not a duplicate question.

In previous years there were 2 seats per class that were only available "at the door."  You had to go get in line early the day of the class you wanted to try to sign up for it, and they were first come, first served.  Is this still the case? 

If these are still being done, what time does the "line" open? 

Thanks in advance whichever one of you awesome people answers my question!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*faint*  Okay, thanks.  ::(:

I kept checking back the week classes were to go on sale, but the one day I was too busy at work to do so, and then too whupped at home to remember to check was they day they went on sale.  Oh well, guess that's more time to spend painting with board-friends, and more money to spend in the store.

I tried peeling through this thread as well as some searches to see if this had been answered, so hopefully this is not a duplicate question.

In previous years there were 2 seats per class that were only available "at the door."  You had to go get in line early the day of the class you wanted to try to sign up for it, and they were first come, first served.  Is this still the case? 

If these are still being done, what time does the "line" open? 

Thanks in advance whichever one of you awesome people answers my question!

That is not still being done.

For a variety of reasons, mostly logistical, we need to have better more definite numbers earlier in advance, and one of the effects of this is that we now put all tickets online and encourage all attendees to pre-register.

We used to encourage and strongly cater to walk-ins, but have found that this means we cannot accurately gauge attendance. By promoting pre-enrollment in classes and admissions, we can better prepare seating, meal plans, and event planning.

This also has the side effect of reducing strain on you, as there is no longer the need to stand in line each morning and hope for a class to fall into your lap - it is easier now to plan your itinerary.

So no, we put all seats for all events online now, and while there will still be some unsold seats at showtime, there is decidedly not "2 of everything" held back creating an unnecessarily long line every morning.

I believe that there are still some TBD spots that haven't been determined yet. So you may have a chance still. Plus if there are no shows, you might still have a chance.

There are one or two classes that I'm hoping will have a no-show so I can sneak in. If not, I'll cope.

I'm pretty sure we all don't mind if folks come up to the desks and ask questions or ask for demos on things outside of class!  I'm always happy to show how I do things or practice painting.  Feel free to bring a mini by if you want some help or feedback.  I also love demoing washes and glazes on watercolor paper because I think it helps to see paint consistency, etc.  Even if we look like we're deep in thought or focused down on a mini in out laps, we actually want to be "pestered" and interact!

Plus, I'll have candy to give away...

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 10

And I want to echo Corporea!  Now, when I attend ReaperCon, I'm usually spending my time interacting with people instead of focused on a miniature that I'm working on, but that doesn't meant that I won't drop everything and whip out a paintbrush at the first opportunity to demonstrate a technique, give pointers, or otherwise just paint alongside folks who want to paint!  So, in other words, feel free to "bug" me anytime!!!  ::):

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure we all don't mind if folks come up to the desks and ask questions or ask for demos on things outside of class!  I'm always happy to show how I do things or practice painting.  Feel free to bring a mini by if you want some help or feedback.  I also love demoing washes and glazes on watercolor paper because I think it helps to see paint consistency, etc.  Even if we look like we're deep in thought or focused down on a mini in out laps, we actually want to be "pestered" and interact!

And I want to echo Corporea!  Now, when I attend ReaperCon, I'm usually spending my time interacting with people instead of focused on a miniature that I'm working on, but that doesn't meant that I won't drop everything and whip out a paintbrush at the first opportunity to demonstrate a technique, give pointers, or otherwise just paint alongside folks who want to paint!  So, in other words, feel free to "bug" me anytime!!!   ::):

This is just another reason why ReaperCon and all the Artists ROCK!!  ^_^

• Like 2

THIS! ^^^

This is why I love ReaperCon. 

• Like 2

Last RCon I definitely did not Bug any of the artist at their stations.  I really took too much onto my plate in regards to technique.  There is a lot of info out there, and I didn't know where to start or what questions to ask.  I want to get better and asking how can I get better is too general of a question.  What I learned by focusing on NMM through out last year, is that it helped to give me a better understanding of other techniques and how they apply to my work.  While I didn't get all the classes I wanted, I did get a few to help me in areas I am mostly ignorant in.  I figure I can bring or buy a figure or two to practice what I what to learn and ask some of the artists this year (if I can break through my approach anxiety).

• Like 4

Last RCon I definitely did not Bug any of the artist at their stations.  I really took too much onto my plate in regards to technique.  There is a lot of info out there, and I didn't know where to start or what questions to ask.  I want to get better and asking how can I get better is too general of a question.  What I learned by focusing on NMM through out last year, is that it helped to give me a better understanding of other techniques and how they apply to my work.  While I didn't get all the classes I wanted, I did get a few to help me in areas I am mostly ignorant in.  I figure I can bring or buy a figure or two to practice what I what to learn and ask some of the artists this year (if I can break through my approach anxiety).

Something many find exceptionally useful, as opposed to the general 'how can I get better" is to take a model which you think you did well on but know you could improve on, and take that model to the instructor/artist from whom you want feedback.

an example conversation might go like this:

Me: "Hey, Corporea! Your transitions and brands are always so smooth. I painted this and I tried to blend the cloak, but I'm not happy with it. can you show me how to improve the cloak blends? Also, can i have a piece of this candy?"

Corporea: "Go away you disgusting toad! Sure! Let me get a better look. Ok, the first thing I see that might help is...."

*Edit - I'm pretty sure Corpora doesn't think I'm a disgusting toad.

Edited by Reaperbryan