Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Looking for suggestion on which of the Bones dragons would be a decent match for the Pathfinder Cloud Dragon for use in the next book of the Giantslayer campaign that I'm currently running. I have maybe a month or two before they encounter this bad beast. He is considered an Adult dragon, size: Huge.
Finally finished something for myself - woohoo! One of the set of Rocky baby dragons from Bones IV. Went with a red scheme on this one. Not going to win any awards with all the mold lines I missed! Was supposed to be a quick speed paint, and yeah, that didn't happen. Anyway, though he turned out pretty good, although the pictures don't show the highlights on the red. Tried three different set-ups and still looks flat here. Ah well.
I admit to getting a bit more than just the core set in the Bones 4 kickstarter....but I have decided to paint the entire core set before tackling any of the expansion sets. However, there are also a bunch of add-ons to do. Most of those are rather large... but we start with some mid-sized ones:
These are the "Skeletal Monsters" add on subset. A Chimera, an Owlbear and a Manticore, plus a heap of monster bones / spawn pile scatter terrain piece. Also there is a sprue of different heads to you can convert to other monster skeletons if you like.
I am keeping the sprue of monster skulls in the bitsbox for now.
The wings are in a much more rigid (and presumably more brittle) material than the bodies that seem to be in the more rigid bones 3 material.
I made a 3D printed 70x50mm oval base for this one. These were hollowed out from the top so the miniatures own base fit inside, with some putty to fill them out.
I made a 50x30mm base for this one.
This one has a 60x35 base.
The bone pile scatter terrain bit.
I have a bone to pick with you guys...
How I painted these:
Black undercoat with white ink zenithal sprayed on. After this was thoroughly dried out, I painted Citadel Skeleton Horde contrast (yes! Contrast paint! It works like a thicker ink or stain!) all over.
When this was thouroughly dry, I drybrushed in varying degree with several bone-type colours, both yellowish and whiteish ending with Reaper Splintered Bone at the very tops.
Details such as horns, beak, teeth, stingers and claws in various black and grey colours I mixed on my pallette.
Base in Vallejo Earth followed by some tufts and my autumnal flock mix, finised with black rims. All of them done from basecoat in an evening including drying times.
add-on subset from the Bones 4 kickstarter, 2017
Sculpted by Julie Guthrie
Made in Bonesium PVC
should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future
So my favorite inlaw and I were talking Saturday morning, and she mentioned to me that she really wants me to paint her a dragon. One thing lead to another and before you knew it, she was picking Blighfang out of the bones catalog.
She then asked if it would be possible to base the colors on a favorite tea set, to which I really agreed because it's a little unusual
I made a quick mock up that got the approval
It didn't take me long to get to the store and pick up a dragon.w
Last night I sat down and did the assembly. There were a few gaps but nothing major.
Today I had about an hour to play with it, so I spent it using some Stynlrez to prime and sketch in my colors.
Still really rough, and not really the blue-black I want to end up with, this is mostly a color sketch done really fast work the airbrush so I have something to start with. Pretty much everything from here will be brush work. I'm a little on the fence about the yellow in the membranes, though I really like it on the belly.
So, here I am again, starting another WIP; I'm hoping I actually finish this one.
Anyway, I have a need in some upcoming games for a colossal red dragon as a lieutenant to the BBEG. I'm expecting this to be a reoccurring character, so I want a decent paint job on it. That said, I am not aiming for much more that table-top quality here, and will be using every speed painting technique in my toolbox to crank this one out, hopefully before the next game in mid November.
I am also going to use it to christen my new Patriot airbrush and airbrush booth. Last night, I primed the whole model in Brown Liner. It took about 3/4 of a bottle, and I didn't have too much over spray. This is a big model.
As I have said in the past, I like trying something new with every project; this one it is the use of an air brush. I want to use this model to develop control and precision both with my Patriot and Sotar brushes. Prior to this, I really haven't attempted much more than priming with an airbrush.
Here's a picture of him in my spray booth.
Have a great day!
Who's Online 31 Members, 0 Anonymous, 203 Guests (See full list)
- Doug Sundseth
- Disciple of Sakura
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Darsc Zacal
- Pezler the Polychromatic