• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

About this project

29d9176bf281e932896b066c341347c2_origina

Heavy Metal by Acheson Creations is a project designed to highlight new and popular pewter castings of tabletop miniatures and accessories in a variety of sizes and genres. This project includes new dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, and modern animals in both 15mm and 28mm from our Primaeval Designs range. We even have our popular 28mm-scale Bigfoot miniature now available in metal. From Kaiju Kaos, we’re offering extraterrestrials in the form of our Xenogygers, Xenogyger spawn swarms and Xenogyger eggs. A new range, 54mm Vietnam, includes both American and Vietnamese characters in a variety of sculpts. Lastly, we’re offering a plethora of accessories to outfit and customize your existing dungeons, miniatures, and terrain. The Pewter Accessories include modern and sci-fi weapons, barrels and crates, Aztec shields, and much more.

Heavy Metal by Acheson Creations… “Rockin’ miniatures and accessories to better your game!â€

I'm thinking that there is some animals in this kickstarter that people have been looking for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/244627251/heavy-metal

ef83bc56a6276509fcce97488a1460c9_origina
 PLAY

An assortment of dinosaurs, weapons, accessories, armor, mammals, characters and creatures perfect for your tabletop miniatures games.

Share:

Pin

backers
$1,101
pledged of $1,000 goal
days to go

This project will be funded on 

Tue, Aug 16 2016 4:00 PM MDT .
About this project
e48434735084e5362160fa65babaa5ae_origina

Heavy Metal by Acheson Creations is a project designed to highlight new and popular pewter castings of tabletop miniatures and accessories in a variety of sizes and genres. This project includes new dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, and modern animals in both 15mm and 28mm from our Primaeval Designs range. We even have our popular 28mm-scale Bigfoot miniature now available in metal. From Kaiju Kaos, we’re offering extraterrestrials in the form of our Xenogygers, Xenogyger spawn swarms and Xenogyger eggs. A new range, 54mm Vietnam, includes both American and Vietnamese characters in a variety of sculpts. Lastly, we’re offering a plethora of accessories to outfit and customize your existing dungeons, miniatures, and terrain. The Pewter Accessories include modern and sci-fi weapons, barrels and crates, Aztec shields, and much more.

Heavy Metal by Acheson Creations… “Rockin’ miniatures and accessories to better your game!â€

f8de736ccd77c4cadb398afbe9cdc999_origina

5ca62bda9e1494b993be1ec75ece3464_origina

Cryptids

Dinosaurs

Modern Mammals

Prehistoric Mammals

356d2a70cde7865458eccffa5e3ac5f9_origina
42af876effdb45a8ec2754af14f99ce4_origina
724b49416c40386b68e87cbf5107511c_origina
** Click Here For More Images ** ** Thanks for helping us fund in 9 hours! **
d5253b6686d63afa21eef944ef2d3601_origina

For this project, we're doing Stretch Goals a bit differently than in the past. Stretch Goals will only be available to supporters who pledge $100.00 or more.

• Stretch Goal #1 @ $2000 = pledges of $100 or more may choose an additional $5 worth of product from the list (ie: receive $110.00 of items for $100.00 pledge / receive $215.00 of items for $200.00 pledge)
  • Stretch Goal #2 @ $4000 = pledges of $100 or more may add on $5 additional worth of products from the list (ie: receive $115.00 of items for $100.00 pledge / receive $220.00 of items for $200.00 pledge)
  • Stretch Goal #3 @ $8000 = pledges of $100 or more may add on $5 additional worth of products from the list (ie: receive $120.00 of items for $100.00 pledge / receive $225.00 of items for $200.00 pledge)
  • Stretch Goal #4 @ $16,000 = pledges of $100 or more may add on $5 additional worth of products from the list (ie: receive $125.00 of items for $100.00 pledge / receive $230.00 of items for $200.00 pledge)
Risks and challenges

Acheson Creations has been in the business of making high-quality tabletop terrain and miniatures since May 2000. Despite our longevity and experience, we are a small company with limited resources and personnel. If this Kickstarter is successful, it will take some time to spin-cast each and every item (and that's after making every mold). Fortunately, we now consider ourselves to be experienced at successfully running projects such as this and we have tried to account for the labor time involved in our estimated shipping dates. We have shipped all rewards from our previous projects and we're ready to move forward

This is the first of a brand new editorial series where I will take a look at recent miniature and hobby related kickstarters that are open for pledges at the time the article was released.

My goal here is to bring new kickstarters to light as well as to give consumers information to make informed decisions.

This article is for the Heavy Metal kickstarter by Acheson Creations: https://stonetowerreviewsblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/kicksmart-heavy-metal-by-acheson-creations/

If you have any kickstarters you would like me to look at, please let me know!

• Like 3

@ Cregan:

While I don't really disagree with your comments, you have avoided mention of what is clearly the best portion of their range - their animals. the sculpts are decent to good, and they depict some animals which are not easy to find (eg the hippo, zebras, etc).

Also, I think an opine of aesthetic quality is of limited utility as the basis for whether a KS is worthy of being backed - surely people are capable of making a judgment based on their own opinion of the pictured sculpts.  not every sculpt needs to be expertly crafted to be useful on the game table. pointing out potential scale issues (as you did) is far more useful than berating the sculpting choices that are plain to see (as you did, extensively). More to the point, I don't see how that criticism relates to the customer-perceived value of items in the KS or risk associated with the KS, the two most critical factors, IMHO.

Keep in mind that there are people with feelings on the other end of every kickstarter. Mind the feelings of others.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

I admit that I am a "miniatures snob," as one of my close friends says. I value the sculpt and aesthetic qualities of a miniature very highly. As for the judgement of people, sometimes we don't always take aesthetics into account. I know I've seen things that I wanted on first blush only to realize there were quality issues after a friend pointed them out.

The pricing of a great many of the miniatures in this kickstarter is too high, especially in the accessories section. The pricing gets a bit better in some of the other sections, but this kickstarter based on comparisons between their main store seem to be a full retail value. That is one of my main complaints mentioned in the article that, perhaps, I did not emphasize enough.

The following is a quick review of each of the Modern Mammals. The majority of them are on the level of acceptable quality and very few are good.

The Hippo is acceptable, but it shows the continuing problem of integral bases eating the feet of their miniatures as the back feet are nonexistent. While the argument can easily be made that this is an aesthetic choice, to make it look like the hippo is walking in the mud, my argument is that was a lazy choice by the sculptor and shows a pattern of poor execution when taking tolerances into consideration between a sculpt and its base. $10 is a good retail price for this miniature, but is expensive here.

The Walking Zebra is clearly a donkey. a Zebra's head is much smaller in proportion to its body with very small ears. For the walking zebra (donkey) the head is large in proportion and the ears are at least twice the size of zebra ears. This was either a poor sculpting job or a bad decision to reuse a miniature for a different purpose. Again, evidence of integral bases eating feet.

The Dead zebra is an item of concern for me. While it looks decent for a desiccated and picked-over corpse, I have concerns over its scale. I am also concerned by the visible patina of the metal. Based on previous experiences with miniatures this is either a poorly mixed alloy or a very old miniature. It again raises the question in my mind that perhaps some of these miniatures were purchased from an old line and reused here. This is not a problem, but if it is the case I would appreciate knowing if that was the case.

The leaping zebra is overall quite decent when it comes to the design and proportion of the animal. I do question the design choice of the tree as its directionality suggests that the animal has slammed into the tree during its jump, making me wonder if it has impaled itself, but that's of little consequence here.

Between the "white" rhino and the "black" rhino, the black version is superior. It's probably one of the best sculpts in the entire line. The white rhino is a terrible sculpt. Multiple stiff, flat lines compose the majority of the figure. The horns lack the roundness of an actual rhino horn, and the face is covered with texture that does not look good at all. The pricing for these seems good for retail, but the elephants are only $5. I would love a sense of scale to know how close in size there are to the elephants. If these rhinos were $5 I would declare them an excellent bargain for a kickstarter.

The Cape Buffalo is too blurry and only shows a single angle, which worries me. No way to find redeeming qualities in the sculpt based on source image.

The Rabbit is another example of bad pricing to me. Without being able to see the scale of this animal I assume that is will be quite small. 10 of them is not worth $5 to me, especially given the overall lack of definition. Details are roughly hinted at. The paint job may be hiding better details, it's hard to say. The eye is well sculpted, but Reaper has a superior bunny miniature.

The raccoon is terrible. Obvious gate circle on the advertisement model is never a good sign. Fur is very poorly sculpted.

The beaver suffers from similar issues to the raccoon and the wolves with bad fur and stiff posing. It also looks like the animal is dragging its butt along the ground.

I honestly can't tell what's going on with the hyenas. If this is the image of a green, then the color saturation seems way off. $10 is overpriced for animals of this size, especially when compared to the other $10 animals.

Chimpanzee's quality is obscured by either poor painting or bad picture quality. $10 is extremely overpriced in relationship to the other animals.

The juvenile african elephant is decent looking. The cross-hatching to texture the skin on the belly is too uniform and deep, but the sculpt shows more imagination and effort than most others. Here is an example where they are getting much closer to a truly dynamic sculpt. The sense of movement is good, although it's not fully realized into the rear and tail of the animal, but it's an overall improvement. At $5 this feels like one of the best deals in the kickstarter.

The juvenile indian elephant falls short of the level of his african cousin. Proportionally he needs a bit more width. It looks like he's choking himself with his trunk and the pose is too stiff.

• Like 1

Addendum:

I would honestly love to hear from one of the returning backers to this project, as the only people pledging are those who have supported their past projects.

What do they like about the work of Acheson Creations and why are they supporting this project? That would be a useful data point.

Better. It accounts for both the quality and pricing of individual pieces making it useful for persons who fill the spectrum of miniature consumers, from those looking for inexpensive placeholders, all the way to competition painters.

FYI the dead zebra is a green, as are many of the other sculpts. That this is not explicitly stated is in itself a valid criticism.