Genghis_Sean

What level painter are you? What about me?

Tossing this out there, unsure of the appropriate forum board to use.  It's probably unimportant, but I'm wondering how to describe myself as a miniature painter.  I started this hobby one year ago and since then my profile has described me as a painting newbie.  I no longer think of myself as such having painted probably 25-30 figures since then, watched hours of YouTube tutorials, purchased and watched Jen Haley's DVD, posed questions on the forums and had them answered, learned how to prep, prime, base, drybrush, wash, and highlight.  So, what level painter am I?

I thought about graduating to myself from newbie to novice based upon the one year, but rate of painting applies.  The first six months I didn't paint at all, being petrified of making mistakes.  It took me that long to make a few attempts and gradually I got more and more confident. 

Should painting level be based on:

Number of years as a miniature painter.

Number of actual miniatures painted.

Mastery of certain painting skills (drybrushing, highlighting, etc).

Sheer awesomeness of finished results

Other?

In AD&D, 1E that I grew up playing, every level had a title.  You graduated from title to title.  Take the thief for example:

Level 1: Rogue

2: Footpad

3: Cutpurse

4: Robber

5: Burglar

6: Filcher

7: Sharper

8: Magsman?  WTH?

9: Thief

10: Master Thief

I wondered if it would be productive to create a universal system here for newcomers to use to describe themselves.

Level 1: Newbie

2: Novice

5: Veteran

6: Advanced

7: Teacher

8: Work for commission

9: Professional

10: Bob Ross

Maybe that's too complex and there should only be five levels rather than ten.  Anyway, I'm graduating myself from newbie to novice, but I no longer feel like a novice.  I'm not sure I've earned the title of veteran, either, so I'm somewhere in between whatever that is.  Thoughts?

• Like 8

I'm at the 'Paints mostly between the lines, and knows what shading is'... Does that mean I'm a newbie or novice?

Honestly, I don't care what level people are at(not just because most are better than me), only that they try their best and happen to enjoy it.

I think a better scale would be:

My Boss makes me do it... yawn...

Eh, it's something to do.

It's kind of relaxing, you know...

Moar! I need more paints! More Bones!

I dip Bones minis in Brown liner because that makes them even tastier...

(That one is reserved for Buglips. )

And this thread probably belongs in Off-Topic...

• Like 6

In my gaming group we have an expert painter, 2 casual painters who haven't really painted in a couple years and even then was just 40k "get it on the table level", a non-painter, a newly discovered miniatures and wants to paint painter, and myself. I describe myself as an "enthusiastic amateur". I have painted minis since early highschool (I am 40) but do it for fun, and don't have any illusions about my skill level... especially seeing some of the stuff posted here...

But I still paint, and occasionally post, and I am happy with that.

So titles?

Mundane- You have never painted a mini, or have painted once.

Newbie- You have not painted much but are excited to paint more

Novice- You are still a newbie but are no longer new

Veteran- you have painted a while

Journeyman- You have participated in painting competitions

Master- You have won painting competitions or make money off of your painting

Grand master- You are regarded as one of the best, are a professional painter used for professional photos on websites

Guru- You teach your skills to the masses

So, "Enthusiastic Amatuer would probably put me as Veteran age with Novice skill... :)

• Like 4

I don't think this is something you base on the individual.

What I mean is that for some things I just 'base coat and dip'. Others are taken to a 'competition level'.

I think it's entirely subjective and based on what level of painting one wants to put on a model. Whether or not you can achieve certain results is not a matter of being a 'Master'. Some things just come more naturally to some than others, and that's why I'd rather base the subjective analysis of whether or not a model has a 'masterful' paint job on it, than the painter themselves.

I'm not sure what I'd classify myself as....a veteran? Professional? I've been painting miniatures for 33 years now. But, I've only made significant strides in the past 10 or so. I've won many competitions and awards, painted hundreds of models for commission, teach what I know on YouTube, and I am currently painting up an entire line of models for a game company. Does that make me a Master? Teacher? Pro? I'm not really so sure.

I prefer to just let my paint jobs speak for themselves, and let them tell me if they're masterful or not.

Edited by Ghool
  • Like 9

Too subjective, really. There are bad painters that think they're awesome, awesome painters that think they are mediocre, and mediocre painters hanging out a shingle and doing commissions. Even something like a rating system can be gamed by model choice, trendy paintjobs, cult of personality, etc.

I'd say I'm lower to mid intermediate, mostly because I don't have the time to put into painting to get good at it.

• Like 10

Too subjective, really. There are bad painters that think they're awesome, awesome painters that think they are mediocre, and mediocre painters hanging out a shingle and doing commissions. Even something like a rating system can be gamed by model choice, trendy paintjobs, cult of personality, etc.I'd say I'm lower to mid intermediate, mostly because I don't have the time to put into painting to get good at it.

Cash hits the nail on the head imho (though he sells himself short). I think it's fair to label yourself however you want and at whatever you feel most comfortable with. To me, the only time it really matters is perhaps when you go seeking advise or constructive critiques. Then it only matters as a means for others to make suggestions. For example, I am very much a newbie painter (been dabbling for about the last two months after a brief start a while back). As such, there are certain techniques that currently are likely to be above my pay grade and so I would think if I were seeking advice others might not suggest those techniques if they new my level of experience.

But really, I am not a big fan of labels anyway, so I think everyone should describe themselves however they are most comfortable.

• Like 5

Too subjective, really. There are bad painters that think they're awesome, awesome painters that think they are mediocre, and mediocre painters hanging out a shingle and doing commissions. Even something like a rating system can be gamed by model choice, trendy paintjobs, cult of personality, etc.

I'd say I'm lower to mid intermediate, mostly because I don't have the time to put into painting to get good at it.

Very subjective is right.

And I think I'm at the level you think you're at, but believe you to be very close to some of the instructors at ReaperCon. You don't win Golds being intermediate :;):

• Like 10

This is highly subjective.

For me, I've been painting for over 35 years, but have taken long breaks. You could call me a veteran painter.

Over the years I've learned a lot, either first-hand or on the internet or from face to face instruction. You could call me a instructive painter as I do share what I have learned.

Even if I take a long period of time off from painting, each new piece I do is better than the last, and I strive to do my best work each time. You could call me an advanced painter.

If I wanted to, I could charge commissions. I think my talent is good enough for that.

But... I am not any one of those singularly. I am all of them, but still a novice with new techniques.

I am just a minipainter. No descriptive words required. ::):

• Like 10

Just because someone has painted for 25 years doesn't mean they are a 25th level painter.

It is possible to move up from level 0 to become a 1st level painter, 25 times.

Don't ask how I know. :mellow:

• Like 9

8: Magsman? WTH?

I wondered if it would be productive to create a universal system here for newcomers to use to describe themselves.

...Thoughts?

Thoughts list:

A) Papers & Paychecks absolutely needs the level titles chart though. We should work on finishing it out.

B) What happened to 3 & 4?

C)...

11. Surrealist

12. Michelangelo

• Like 3

8: Magsman? WTH?

...Thoughts?

Thoughts list:

A) Papers & Paychecks absolutely needs the level titles chart though. We should work on finishing it out.

B) What happened to 3 & 4?

C)...

11. Surrealist

12. Michelangelo

Couldn't think of titles that fit, but somebody said Journeyman higher up in the thread, but they had it after Veteran, and I think it should be just above Novice.  I stole it to add to my profile.  I think I'm above a Novice, but below a Veteran.  That still leaves one more title depending on whether you have Journeyman at 3 or 4.  What's the other?

• Like 2

This is highly subjective.

For me, I've been painting for over 35 years, but have taken long breaks. You could call me a veteran painter.

Over the years I've learned a lot, either first-hand or on the internet or from face to face instruction. You could call me a instructive painter as I do share what I have learned.

Even if I take a long period of time off from painting, each new piece I do is better than the last, and I strive to do my best work each time. You could call me an advanced painter.

If I wanted to, I could charge commissions. I think my talent is good enough for that.

But... I am not any one of those singularly. I am all of them, but still a novice with new techniques.

I am just a minipainter. No descriptive words required. ::):

This, so much this!

• Like 3

I splash paint on minis..

Sometimes I like the results, sometimes I don't .

Sometimes others like the results, sometimes they don't

Main thing I'm having fun doing it.

• Like 9

I'm going to go with "Bob Ross."

Bob's theory of painting was to do something you love, and have fun doing it.  The stuff he taught was accessible to others, no matter their level of artistic ability.  Plus, he was happy with his painting.

I'm better than lots of local painters, but I don't compete.  I'm speedpainting my undead army, giving only minor consideration to mold lines, but I've got a diorama on my shelf where I focused on trying to create "art."  I'm still learning, but I've been doing this for almost 30 years.  I've met people who are very proud of their mediocre work, and I'm humble about reaction to my own. 

I'll be helping with the Paint-n-Take at Gen Con next week.  Some people show up never having painted a figure, others show up who only paint at Gen Con (yes, it's true!).  There are some experienced painters who sit down for a spell.  Everyone paints, everyone has some level of fun.  There's frustration and learning and camaraderie.  For a while, everything is good in those painters' worlds.  No level needed.

• Like 8