Sign in to follow this  
Genghis_Sean

What level painter are you? What about me?

Frankly, I can't be bothered to worry about this sort of thing.  In my opinion, I hardly set the world on fire when it comes to painting, yet people consistently pay me to do their stuff.  YMMV. 

The Egg

• Like 2

I'm agreeing with Dougs Workshop, be like Bob Ross. It's all about what makes you happy!

You could paint the most amazing mini ever and not be happy. Or you could compare yourself to some other painter and never think your stuff is good enough. Just be the best painter you can and paint stuff that makes you happy :)

And you could argue we are all newbies because you will always be learning new stuff. It's an awesome hobby!

• Like 8

Man, this thread is bringing out the rainbows and unicorns!

While I can be pretty hard on my own work, I do enjoy painting and like most of what I do. For me, comparing my work to others and striving to improve is just how I am, it's part of the fun. We're in a golden age of information about the hobby, where the idea of a 'ranking system' is even possible, because you can see what painters in Poland or South Korea are up to. When I was a kid, I knew two people who painted minis! I wasn't one, heh. Heck, being able to sit and watch Soshie livestream is mind-blowing for an old timer like me, what an amazing opportunity to virtually sit in the room with a great painter and watch her work (and totally steal ideas - that's why I was back into 2-brush blending a bit recently)!

Not to say I don't respect others who enjoy the hobby in their own way, not at all!

• Like 9

Interesting discussion:

My input is rather simplistic.  I don't need a label, and I don't need a title.

I am just a guy that loves a great sculpted miniature that is going to challenge me to do my best,

teach me something new, and push my creative envelope a bit more.

I compete against no-one but myself. 

I love what I do, and do what I love with them.

One of my brother's said "jay you are a fool for not selling these"... I responded

"I refuse to interject someone's concepts that I don't know into my painting"

I never want to compromise MY VISION with someone's wants, I would stop painting mini's the first

day I did that.

There are only two labels that concern me.. "Men's Room / Ladies Room" I wouldn't want to upset someone !

The other titles are ehh !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 6

<< Speed Drybrushing

Cuz that's what my post # title on Dakka says :P

seriously, painting's about joy and experience. There is some skill obviously, and art to it, but the lovely thing about this hobby, with a little patience, anyone can turn out a decent model! Anyone!

Unlike some endeavours where even staying in the lines is tough :P

• Like 5

I am a complete and utter hack, and anything that may accidentally pass for talent is simply the result of 29 years of practice...

I aspire to mediocrity. But not particularly hard, cuz I'm lazy like that.

• Like 4

Level 1: Rogue

2: Footpad

3: Cutpurse

4: Robber

5: Burglar

6: Filcher

7: Sharper

8: Magsman? WTH?

9: Thief

10: Master Thief

I wondered if it would be productive to create a universal system here for newcomers to use to describe themselves.

Level 1: Newbie

2: Novice

5: Veteran

6: Advanced

7: Teacher

8: Work for commission

9: Professional

10: Bob Ross

...Thoughts?

Thoughts list:

A) Papers & Paychecks absolutely needs the level titles chart though. We should work on finishing it out.

B) What happened to 3 & 4?

C)...

11. Surrealist

12. Michelangelo

Couldn't think of titles that fit, but somebody said Journeyman higher up in the thread, but they had it after Veteran, and I think it should be just above Novice. I stole it to add to my profile. I think I'm above a Novice, but below a Veteran. That still leaves one more title depending on whether you have Journeyman at 3 or 4. What's the other?

Brush-Licker could be in there somewhere. More amusing and colorful titles are better.

BTW, Magsman is Aussie slang for a type of swindler/thief; a street con-artist, it's associated with the pitch-and-toss coins game (no idea how the con works in conjunction with the game).

• Like 1

I think it's almost a given to all painters to be curious about how good they actually are. I think I did the same thing last year. But in the art world it's waaaaay too subjective, because there are so many different styles that occasionally seem completely at odds with the others.

For example, Rembrandt and Van Gogh are both recognized as masters, but their styles are worlds apart. In the world of minis, Rembrandt would be big on realistic looking dioramas, and Van Gogh would be a speed painter with kickass colors that look weird up close but amazing at normal viewing distance.

Obviously, practice-practice-practice will make anyone better. But you also have to realize how much time some of the "masters" spend on their minis to be competition winners. When one of them talks about layering techniques and shows you wonderful results, but also realize that he said he worked on that kneecap for two hours. You sort of stop to think that though you may have the talent, you may not have the patience to be *that* good. Some painters can spend a hundred hours on a single piece.

From my personal experience, I know the first time I successfully realized my layering was working was after many, many, MANY thin layers of paint. I *was* doing it right, but at the same time I couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't making any significant progress in my free time.

These days, I know I can paint "better" on some minis, but then I reach a certain level of "good enough" for the time it takes me. So I call it quits and move to the next mini in my pile. I could paint a mini a day and still have several years worth of minis, and I currently do not paint every day (nor week), so I have to compromise somewhere.

• Like 5

For example, Rembrandt and Van Gogh are both recognized as masters, but their styles are worlds apart. In the world of minis, Rembrandt would be big on realistic looking dioramas, and Van Gogh would be a speed painter with kickass colors that look weird up close but amazing at normal viewing distance.

Not to tread too far down this tangent, but....

Banshee is pushing for more Impressionist painting in minis, which shares the same risk that happened in the art world. While someone like Van Gogh is clearly a master, if you look at a good exhibit of Impressionism you'll see a lot of mediocre work mixed in, often by well-known artists who sell for 6 or 7 figures.

The thing is, the Impressionists were mostly classically trained in formal art schools (as Van Gogh was, so he'd be a competition-level painter doing speed paints, not an army painter doing them; following your example). This forms a basis for skilled application of his creative flourishes. As the movement gained in popularity, people began skipping ahead to the creative flourishes without the fundamentals. Eventually anyone could sling (sometimes literally) paint onto a canvas and make up some story about how it's art.

So I am concerned about this with mini painting. Sure, things are silly with an over-emphasis on smooth blends as 'the' way (it's a great and valid method, but there is an over-emphasis on blending that can't be denied), and the highlighting everything to white is just silly. So there's room for new voices and styles, certainly. But at some point I can see people who simply can't blend (and I say this as a crappy blender Futurama-Bender-Unit-22-icon.png) and call it a 'style'.

/siderant

To bring it back around, if you're painting for giggles or just to have colored gaming pieces, none of this applies, really. But if you're painting stuff to put on a shelf or even thinking of entering a competition, you should be striving to learn and apply modern fundamentals. The tools to learn are abundant. And learning and improving are some of the most important pursuits in life.

• Like 9

So...wait, I have to be as good as CashWiley to be intermediate?!  *Burns hobby room to the ground*

This seems to be in line with the Tabletop vs Display discussion in an earlier thread.  For myself I am definitely in the amateur stage still, though I have gotten the hang of a number of "beginner" techniques, and have started practicing some more "advanced" techniques.  The most important thing for me is do I like how it looks on the table, and I do!

• Like 7

"Intermediate" is a catchall. People who have just started see themselves as intermediate because they remember all of the things they have already learned. People who are very good indeed see themselves as intermediate because they see all the ways they could be better.

This isn't just a miniatures thing, btw; the same is true in many parts of life.

Separating out that vast middle ground between true beginners and true masters is complex ... and might not be possible.

• Like 7

I'd be a higher level painter, but I've multi-classed into too many other things.

Have you dipped into the best class yet? Barbarian is the best class btw.... 

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.

As an works well, this challengehas been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge again. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1. (not yet updated for the CAV II/III figures)

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little or not as much as one would like, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, post in the bi-monthly thread and include the tag RPChallenge

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)
      I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this - I am making a more concentrated effort in 'bookkeeping' this year. If someone would be willing to assist in such, it would be much appreciated.

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Year long challenge
      Pick a miniature of size large or greater to complete in the Jan-Feb Block. In Nov-December, purchase (if needed) that same mini and repaint in the same scheme to see direct side-by-side improvement or changes in your methods

Jan/Feb: 8: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89751-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9:
      May/June: 8
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 9:
      Nov/Dec: 9:

• By NomadZeke
      LE GASP! I'm on time!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89750-2020-rpchallenge-informationquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      Hindsight! - OK let's be obvious, you SAW this coming. *rimshot* paint a miniature with glasses!

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      Our annual favorite challenge returns. February Fingerpaint! 
      Pick a miniature that is NOT terrain.
      This is pretty self explanatory. 

Hard Mode Challenge!
      February holds "National Margarita Day" and often hand-in-hand with the tropical drink, is gaudy 'Aloha' clothing! Paint a mini if your choice where the majority of the exposed surface must be free-handed in the mannerism of such! Yes that's a lot of freehand.
      (I honestly just wanna see someone paint a slime covered in freehanded palm trees >.>)

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By NomadZeke
      Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge again, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1. (not yet updated for the CAV II figures)

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little or not as much as one would like, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, post in the bi-monthly thread and include the tag RPChallenge

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Year long challenge
      Pick a miniature of size large or greater to complete in the Jan-Feb Block. In Nov-December, purchase that same mini and repaint in the same scheme to see direct side-by-side improvement or changes in your methods

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84372-january-february-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85335-march-april-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 8 https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86376-may-~-june-rpchallenge/
      July/August: 9: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87162-julyaugust-rpchallenge/
      Sept/Oct: 9: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88521-september-thru-december-rpchallenge/
      Nov/Dec: 9: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88521-september-thru-december-rpchallenge/

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
    • By NomadZeke
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

As usual, the new format holds a "hard mode" challenge!

The Last quarter of the year 2019 because real life is a bugbear sometimes.

Your challenge is: 18!

Bonus Challenge: 1!
      Fall! Paint a mini that has fallen over (for whatever reason) (Pompeii guy works for this too!)

Bonus Challenge: 2!
      This is Halloween! - Paint a mini using only colors that have black, orange, and purple in the name. You may also use the paints available from this year's ghoulie bag.

Bonus Challenge: 5!
      Festive feast - Since both US And Canada have their Thanksgiving in this time bracket - paint up a mini (figure or terrain) to have some food being presented, if you can do a drinking vessel to be painting like a full glass, even better!

Bonus Challenge: 4!
      For-lack-of-a-better-idea- December 15th is national Cat Herders' day! Paint a tabaxi, or any other mini featuring a feline. (It's a real holiday, go ahead, look it up)

Hard Mode Challenge 1!
      Jack-o-lantern's light - Paint a mini where the only source of light would be coming from inside a jack-o-lantern. Pumpkin may be part of the mini/base or sculpted

Hard Mode Challenge 2!
      Under Wraps- Paint a mini so that anything that any non-flesh (armor-weapons-cloth-etc) looks like it's patterned wrapping paper. This is assuming a humanoid figure. Dragons or such apply the same challenge to the whole body.

As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!
    • By Sirithiliel
      Neat sculpts, the next KS is going to be fun

I wish Reaper's breakdown of judging criteria actually reflected how high bases score. Looking at their little percentage breakdown, you would never know that the base was so important . 
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)