Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Darakan Chronicles

Recommended Posts

Looking up from examining the ring, Mykayla says " Perhaps some should go to the docks and the places you suggest, I would be out of place in such locals. But let us not forget that sometimes the ambitions of the nobles extend to treachery. Perhaps some of us could 'circulate' in the higher ends of society and see if we hear any words of discontent there."

Lady Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern speaks again, "I am in with Warrick and Mykayla, to the docks! Let's find out what we can about these men..."

 

I think this rogue can be trusted...

 

Stern reaches for his pack and begins to secure his weapons.

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame takes the ring after the others have a chance to see it. †She admires the craftsmanship in the cut of the stone as well as the forging of the gold. †If the letters are known to her, she reads them aloud, else she just smiles sadly and hands it back to Shad.

 

Ame listens to the conversation, the suggestions about the docks and nobles. †"I would go where we must, however the talking would be better if not left to me. †I'd see Shad better equiped, perhaps a run through the market for gear could be combined with information gathering."

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"It may be useful to speak with the nobles, though most of them know only fear at the moment.  The Sorrowful Men are usually contacted through a middleman in the less attractive areas in town so I doubt there will be many leads to them among the nobility.  Still, someone is paying them and it would have to be a landed person with disposable treasury.  Perhaps you can track down who may have recently called in several notes of transfer from the Merchant's Guild or Custom House.  I think the slaughter of an unsuspecting noble usually runs in the range of 5000 pieces of gold, though the price may have risen in recent days.  I usually do not keep up with such matters."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert does not ask to see the ring, knowing that the language skills of others are beyond his.

 

All these men have been killed, it would seem almost ritually every 7th day. Why such a regularity? And what links these victims - there must be a connection

 

Hesitantly, as though not used to making long interjections, Robert speaks.

"Master Warwick? Why do you think these killings take place with such regularity - is there some dark religion which holds a seventh day in special favour or some superstition in this land which might account for it? Also, we are assuming that their is 1 person, or group of people behind this. If that is so then they must be choosing the targets for a reason. There must be a connection between all the dead men, surely?

"I cannot see how killing the aged abbott of a monastery would help create an absence of authority - Are you sure there is no connection?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick considers Robert's observations before answering.  "I am afraid the details of religion are beyond my capacity.  Suffice it to say that I cannot answer you suitably, though I have certainly considered that possibility.  However, this, in my opinion, would intensify my suspicion that there is a force driving the Sorrowful Men rather than their choosing to commit these crimes.

 

"You see, to date, the only religion the Men have is money.  And this detail should not be lost:  their usual mode of operation is to attack once, and then disappear for an extended time to allow the trail to go completely cold.  The regularity of the currently crimes are highly unusual.  I believe this is a significant clue to unraveling their mystery.

 

"As far as numbers, I'm afraid your question has bested me again.  The Sorrowful Men are composed of many assassins to be sure.  But, and again I assume someone is holding their leash and feeding them coin, there may be one or a group giving them orders.  I fear I have no information on that.

 

"Your suggestion that there is a connection between those slain is sound.  I concur.  The unfortunate victims all shared the distinction of being a trusted voice by Lord Hadran.  My Lord would frequently seek their counsel in matters that would affect their area of industry.  Apart from that, they were all respected people that carried a great deal of local influence.  Including the abbot.  Do not underestimate the influence of a religious counselor.  I do not know from where you hail but in this area, such guidance is sought and treasured, from the least to the greatest.  Including Lord Hadran.  The abbot was indeed a powerful man despite his apparently frail disposition.  He was also an excellent chess opponent as well.  A pity he is gone."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC transmission from Gruppe Kommandant:

 

Sorry, kids. RL went stupid tonight. Feel free to make with the discussion, come up with a game plan, and then watch me laugh as I tear your ideas down one by one.

 

er, what I mean to say is: Continue RP tonight, until you come up with a plan, then I'll inject something close to a plot.

 

--lstormhammer, Gruppe Kommandant

 

*we now return you to your RP session, already in progress*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mykayla speaks up again. "Who would benifit the most if Lord Hadran was no longer in power? If Hadran's son were disposed of, who would rule next? Or, even more likely, who would act as Regeant while the child grows up? If those who were murdered were those that Lord Hadran took 'council' with they would be were I would look first for the funding."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Shadowchild. That seems to fit. I like it. For those unfamiliar with the Elvish pronunciations, let's just shorten it to Shan."

 

This name is more appropriate, than they think. I am lost in the shadows.

 

He smiles and nods to Mykala.

 

"Thank you, milady. A name is a great gift that I hope to one day repay."

 

He watches carefully, as the ring is passed around, still curious as to what it says.

 

"By the way, it seems to me that the Lord's advisors and confidants, as well as those who make the city run well, are the ones who are being dispatched. Perhaps we can figure out who is left and see that they come to no harm. Our hostess springs to mind. Who else around the city could be a target? We should compile a list."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the ring with great interest. It is the first time Jesset has had a chance to look closely at pearls...

 

hmm. this is... stone? it is very interesting. and the writing... Well!

 

"If I might make a suggestion," Jesset interposes while still turning the ring over in her hand, "we now know that there is no one guildhall we can storm. There seem two likely paths: one, to ask the Lady to intervene with the Gods & reveal the next victims that we may guard them. Or two: to attempt to communicate with these Men - whether through intermediaries or no. The other suggestion here, making a visible effort of looking for the Men seems only likely to make us targets, and we can accomplish that well enough by frustrating their assassinations. Why tip our hand?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, with the exception of the one called STern, they all seem to think before they act. Which is good. And Stern will learn with experience as he is quite young I see

 

†"I think Shan's idea of seeing who is left in the power circle is a good idea. And Jesset's thought of seeking Lady Baleah's advice/help also has merit. After all she knows this city better the we. Unless you might know of some likely targets Warrick?"

†"At the same time rather than sit with our handes folded in out laps waiting, some inquiries may be fruitful. Perhaps going to the seedier side of town. Since it we were all acosted by the gaurd and thrown into the goal, there is a reason that some of us might be down there looking to "extract" a little revenge of our own."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see what a bunch of strangers could find out that this local with his knowledge could not already

 

"How are the next likely victims being protected?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern looks from person to person as they give suggestion regarding the next step...  He is eager leave the castle, but listens to each person, staving off the urge to strike out on his own.

 

Talk, talk, talk...  We are a wastin' time Stern!

 

Stern speaks to the group, "I think we best stick tagether, what ever we decide."  I'm juss no g'at sneakin' around, lookin' over me shoulder ever time the blasted wind blows pass ma ears! (Stern moves toward the door, hoisting his gear and greatsword to his back) "I'm going down to the court yard to check on me hound...  Comin' fetch me when ye've decided on a plan..."

 

Stern exits the room and makes his way down to court yard with the assisstance of a page.

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame watches the conversation,

 

I hate this decision making, we don't know each other well enough to take a stand, and yet we need to agree to a course of action, I am not a leader, I am more of a loner, I like these people, maybe even could call them friends someday... do I speak up? †but what would I say? †there seems to be no obvious solution to tackle, no best way of doing things, I am so conflicted, Stern took the easy way, leaving the room, would that I could too, I don't want to make ourselves targets before we are prepared to deal with the Men, I don't like waiting, decisions, making decisions.

 

Ame paces in the background, listening to the discussion.

 

"Ahem", she clears her voice, "I prefer to not be targeted before we are ready, I think interfering with their already chosen targets is a better choice. †While asking for more help from the Lady is okay, sitting here waiting on her to see us isn't. †I'd rather hit the local area for some familiarizing of the layout of streets, and buildings, and traffic patterns, and the like. †Some shopping in the market area would be useful, easily covered by Shad's lack of belongings, and if the Lady is done with us, we might be needing to find our own lodgings or a place to camp nearby. †We should not dither about here for much longer. †I am not comfortable with idle hands."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick presses his fingertips together as he considers each comment. †Seeing that most are itching for action he weighs that need against the fact that no one really knows where to begin.

 

Right then. †Let us start simply. †Perhaps we shall build momentum from there. †Sort of like the night that I was to deliver that silver pin in secret to Lady Beshear. †But of course this momentum won't be nearly as delicious...

 

"I think we have spoken well. †It is good to test each other's minds to see how we each approach things. †I suggest this: †Let us approach Lady Beleah and inquire about two things. †Firstly, who might be among the most likely 'next targets' among the nobility? †Secondly, who stands to gain most by such a power vacuum?

 

"Once we have these answers perhaps we can take some time and I can show everyone about our fair city. †We will all benefit from such knowledge as we are likely to become very familiar with it.

 

"Also, at least for now, let us take the giant Stern's wise counsel and stay together, at least for the first few days. †If we are indeed ourselves targets for the Sorrowful Men our safety will be in numbers.

 

"Lastly, I agree that we should move outside the walls of the keep. †We might also consider never spending more than a couple of nights at any particular locale. †Such movement will at least force the Sorrowful Men to send more assassins after us, increasing our likelihood of hearing about their movements, or at least keep us alive for as long as possible. †Besides, taverns are home to such interesting people.

 

"We may even learn of how we are to be compensated. †Despite being chosen by whatever god has taken interest, we must still put food on the table.

 

"If we are agreed in this then I shall endeavor to coax audience from Lady Beleah." †Warrick stands as he prepares to find the Diviner.

 

"Is this an acceptable first step?"

 

Ah, consensus. †Friend of the nobles and diplomats, tool of rogues, weapon of bureaucracy. †Perhaps if this group can decide on a leader it mustn't always be so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×