Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Darakan Chronicles

Recommended Posts

Stern walks along with the group as they head toward the Blind Monk Inn. †He makes small talk with Ametrine, Shan, and Robert. †He pauses every so often glancing at Jesset and Warrick as they speak to one another. †It also strikes him for the first time how beautiful Mykayla really is... †He tries not to stare at her too long.

 

I must protect them all, but especially her, (Mykayla) she reminds me of...

 

Stern contines to walk until they approach the Inn. †He senses something...

 

Yer being watched (hunted). His father's voice rings in his head, stay on yer guard boy!

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ame stays alert and cautious on the trip to the Blind Monk, trying to memorize the details of the town: streets, people, neighborhoods.  She will engage in small talk with those near her, only when they have initiated it, she is rather distracted with the town and its details to concentrate on chatter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little back tracking here. Almost forgot. before leaving the keep Mykayla will seek out the stables and retrieve her mount. An elegant and delicately bone bay gelding. For the first time you will see her "really" smile as she greats her horse. The gelding lowers his head and nibbles at her fingers as she strokes his head.

 "come on Dowel, it's time we head out." She will then secure here stuff to the saddle and lead him out of the stables. Pulling her hood up, she will lead him out of the courtyard and follow the others into Searoad.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shan walks in the middle of the group, gazing around at the buildings and press of people.

 

So many... so packed together. Like a great herd... how can they live like this?

 

He lifts his head and sniffs the air, smelling the scents of the city.

 

"To tell you the truth, I don't care much for this place. No offense meant to you, Warrick. I hear the pride in your voice when you speak of it. It's just... I miss my home, even though I don't know where that is."

 

He falls into step with Robert and Ametrine.

 

"You two seem as discomfited as I am, let's stay together and watch out for each other." He says, smiling at the pair.

 

He then laughs. "Whichever god or spirit has gathered us must have a sense of humor to collect such a motley bunch!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I know. Finally. Forgive the lateness this time. The Spellchecker was set to 'automatic' and I had to convince it not to change my dialogue of Nine Fingers Nick. Couldn't spell anything like he would be speaking (accented) without the frikka-frikka thing trying to correct me. Nick's known for his resources, his fine applejack, his small biers, but not his elocution!

 

--Begin--

 

With minds made up, and belongings gathered, the companions cross the city to the Blind Monk. Close enough to the Docks to make travelers seek them out, but far enough that the rougher element keeps away, the Blind Monk is in a perfect location. With a busy street to the front, one of the city wells nearby and the vicinity to other trades, the Blind Monk sees many a person enter its age-smoothed doors. The building itself is a well-crafted, two-story tavern, with plenty of windows to let in the Chariotís light. The sign above the door proclaims (in Common) ëThe Blind Monkí. Lights pouring from the main windows show a cheery fire in the common room, just the tempting thing on this crisp, overcast day. To the side of the main building appears to be stabling for horses.

 

The group enters the common room, the hear a tiny bell ringing above their heads, arranged in such a way as to announce the entrance of customers. The common room is strangely empty of the usual travelers. A boy looks up from his scrubbing of the floor and approaches the group. Upon seeing Warrick his face lights up with a bright smile and he calls off ìDA! Warrickís ëere!î

 

ìWa?î comes a voice from the left. A curtain separating the kitchen from the common room parts, allowing a man large as Stern, but rounder past. His hair is thin on top, and a bushy beard rests on his chin. His clothing is simple, but clean as his brown eyes light up at the sight of Warrick, and his entourage. ìWarrick, man!î the great balding bear comes over, hugging the Rogue fiercely a moment. ìGood! You look good man! Much better than I, Iíll tell you that much.î One meaty hand slaps his barrel chest and Nine Finger Nick has a good laugh at his own expense. Itís easily apparent why heís named so, missing his middle finger on his right hand. ìCímon in!î he says to the group, a quick eye noticing each of them. ìElves, eh Warrick?î He notices the Skoli, and sobers a little. ìTheníis  true.î He says quietly, a finger rubbing against his lower lip as he ponders. ìBah! ënoughía that. Come in, come in. Welcome ta thí Blind Monk. No finír estabbishmení in alla  Searoad. Will ya be neediní food? Drink? A place ta rest yer heads?î

 

Nick reminds one of a friendly uncle, the kind thatís always glad you came over. With a quick word given to his equally plump wife, he has bread, cheese and thick bier brought out, and places before the guests. ìBah! Away wií you. Yer coinís no good here, Warrick!î he pushes the purse back when Warrick attempts to pay for his keep. ìIíll haví plenty aítime ta talk ter yer later.î

 

ìSo?î Nick says, sitting down in the quiet common room with the companions. ìWaí brings yer to the ëMonk?î

 

--end--

 

Enjoy, kids. I sence a lot of Q and A in this one. Those that take Nick aside, or such can just PM me, and we'll play it by ear.

 

--lstormhammer, Gee Em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern arrives with the others at the Inn. †The odd sensation of being watched preoccupies his mind... †He offers to take the dogs and Mykayla's horse around to the stables while the others file in... †(If there is no objection, he will do so).

 

Stern returns shortly thereafter and carefully enters the Blind Monk. †He sees Warrick and the others talking to Nick at a near by table. †The smell of good food and hushed conversations fill his senses. †

 

Stern assesses the room, looking for any possible threats, alternative exits, potential conflicts (sizing up other patrons)...

 

Stern speaks, "Ame what say I buy ya an ale?" †If she accepts, he'll make his way to the appropriate area and order Ame a mug and himself two. †If not, Stern will approach the bar maid alone and purchase an ale for himself.

 

After getting the ale, he begins to slowly pull large statisfying gulps from the mugs (one in each hand)...

 

Hair of the beast that bit ye, eh Stern?...

 

Stern will make small talk with Ame and others acordingly, but will eventually move over next to the main entrance, alone. †Watching, waiting, looking...

 

He will remain in ear shot of the table with Nick, Warrick, Jesset and the others as they speak of matters at hand.

 

Stern will continue standing at the door's side. †

 

No harm shall come to thee, ma new friends

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick's smile is genuine as he is crushed in his friend's embrace.  "Always good to see you again, Nick.  It's a pleasure to be back where people are honest and sane.  These are friends of mine assembled for Milord Hadran's pleasure.  Of good purpose they are.  Your kind of people, Nick."

 

Warrick puts away the coin purse as instructed and seats himself at the table.  "We'll be needing rooms sure enough.  Er, preferably those that lead to the basement, Nick."  Warrick's tone is conspiratorial and the glance he exchanges with Nick is a clear sign to the others that an unspoken conversation is taking place.

 

Knowing that Nick will catch his drift, the rogue continues.  "In fact, Nick, I'd like to give my friends a tour of the place and show them the...amenities you offer.  I believe they will find that interesting.  It suits our purpose well, but of that, old friend, I'll have to speak of in private.  Your other guests wouldn't be interested in any of that sort of thing.  I'll mention it when you take us to our rooms later.

 

"But for now, I believe we were just going to plan out our day."

 

After Nick departs Warrick turns back to the group with a bit of a flourish.  "You are going to love this place, I assure you.  In any event, Jesset brings up the need for leadership.  She comes from a more structured background than I, but what is everyone else's view on it.  We may want to decide this before we cast our votes for what to do with the rest of our day.  Besides," his eyes gleam a little, "we may be on the trail of our man Jack the Ratcatcher sooner than any of us think," he adds cryptically.

 

Warrick spends some time during the discussion looking about the tavern taking in the other patrons and marking any he knows or has heard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, perhaps we should see to the rooms first so we may store our gear. And then discuss a 'leader'. Though, since we are in a stange town and you DO know the area, I think you should be the leader here and now Sir Warrick. Perhaps in another situation this will change, but for now it makes the most sense."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Warrick himself knows from our walk, I too would like to see our band place trust in him to guide and protect us. This is the role I see for a leader: to insure that none of us, in working for the weal we may see, neglects an unseen danger. Warrick seems a likely man to keep in mind a picture of both a larger battlefield and ... more political situations? If we trust him to be this guide and protector, it may be his job to issue a command that needs be obeyed without time for discussion or thought. If we trust him so, we may find our backs less exposed - even than Stern's watchful eye can arrange." She says this with a bright eye & a thankful nod towards the company's large guardian.

 

"I do not propose we be peasants to a king. But I have noticed that we sometimes speak long - myself included - and I would rather have a different plan in battle where long talk may shorten the breath. So, shall we place our trust in Warrick? Since you know my answer, I shall take this moment to stow my goods as fair Mykayla has suggested. Then to the bier and cheese!"

 

So saying, she does ask Nick's son for guidance to a room and there stores her things. When she returns, she slices an apple with a very sharp knife from her own belt, cleans it, places it away, then uses Nick's tableware to place cuts of cheese right on the apple. She sighs as she bites in: "Ah! Johnagold is what we call these apples and they are some of the fairest I have tasted. The name comes from a human who husbanded fruit at the borders of my Bole's forest. We would trade with him, often gold dust from our mountain streams, for the best of his apples. He died when I was only twenty, but I remember him as an elf friend. I wonder who grows his apples now? For his own orchards were burned by migrating orcs three years ago: I know, I fed his grandchild's grandchildren when they returned from hiding. Even if they chose to stay, they could not have restored the orchards so soon. I shall enjoy these apples all the more, never having believed I would encounter this variety again. It gives me hope that many things thought lost in the past few difficult years may one day be regained."

 

Here she falls silent, but her attention turns to Shan, then Ame, then Mykayla, and last to Warrick. She appears to think deeply of each of them as she gazes, but what those thoughts are, none can guess. If there is any hint at all, it is that Ame and Warrick hold her gaze longer than the other two, Ame longest of all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shan asks Nick for some peanuts or somesuch for Nutkin and orders a cider. He sits back watching the interplay between the others.

 

"Warrick is a good choice for leader. He knows the area and people. Robert and I are out of place here, besides the fact that I'm even more lost without my memories," he smiles, "the three fair ladies are too exotic for the citizens and Stern is... well, perhaps too imposing is the best way to say it. You are the best choice and I will gladly follow your lead."

 

That said, he and Nutkin will go and speak to Nick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern listens carefully from the door way, taking only a small break from his self-assigned guard post to store his gear in one of the assigned rooms...

 

Stern pulls long once more from another mug of ale as he stands guard.  He's relaxed a bit thanks to the effects of the drink, but remains watchful.

 

"Aye, I agree with ya.  Warrick seems a fit man to lead us." (makes eye contact with Warrick and nods reassuringly to the others as they speak)

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame accepts Stern's offer of an ale but doesn't do more than sip at it. †Her distraction is easily noticed.

 

"Warrick seems a fair choice given all we have discussed. †I will follow him for now", †she sips her ale and continues, "maybe another if we leave the city would be a better choice, let us all keep talking plainly so we have no misunderstandings."

 

Ame will stow her gear as well, not leaving the room unless at least four of the party are present. †Her warhammer however remains strapped to her back.

 

"Stern, that does be three, be paced with those man, we don't need another round like last night, eh friend." she winks and grins quickly before resuming her usual face.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mykayla goes and puts her things away too. When she returns she is carrying only her staff. She will take her seat and order some water. After everyone has stored thier gear, she looks at Warrick.

 Ond now perhaps we should have this "tour" you were speaking of. And a word with the inn keep, Nine fingered Nick? It seems he may know some of what has transpired.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern, crouching to one knee, responds to Ametrine, "Tis noted me small friend, I shall slow it down a wee bit... †We need 'a stay on our toes, (looks from side to side) me thinks we're bein' watched...

 

Stern directs his attention to Mykayla as she re-enters the room...

 

By the stars, she is a beauty, don't stare at her ya big oaf... okay Stern, try and sound casual...

 

"Yes, m'lady a tour would be a fine idea... very fine indeed."

 

Looks to Robert briefly...

 

Keep her safe ranger!

 

Stern prepares to have a look around the inn.

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert refuses a drink, taking only a mug of water. I notice Stern in position at the door.

 

I thought him an oaf, yet he is the only one to take care to be on guard. Perhaps I have misjudged this man. There is much to being in the city that is new to me. I cannot always expect to hear the enemy approach - It seems I cannot always even expect to know who is an enemy and who is a friend. It's much easier when you're hunting brigands

 

I listen to the talk of 'appointing leaders' around the table.

As I have no gear to store, I don't bother going upstairs but following Stern's lead I check out an alternative exit to the Inn, in case of trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×