Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Darakan Chronicles

Recommended Posts

"Well done then, I accept. †But, as it was suggested, this decision should be reviewed once we are outside Searoad. †I am comfortable in most environs but it will be up to you to judge. †In the meantime," he says as he rises from the table, "let us be about this very short tour. †Most of you have seen where the rooms are and this is the main hall. †But there are a couple of secrets Nick stows that I can share with you."

 

Warrick steps off to the side a moment and confers with Nick in hushed tones. †Curiously, Warrick is careful to hold the knuckles of his right hand to his mouth as he speaks with Nick. †The astute will realize the basic convention to keep lip readers at bay. †The end of the discussion draws Warrick another hearty clap on the back and a raucous laugh from Nick.

 

"Right then, Nick has cleared the way." †Warrick motions to Robert and Stern to join them. †"We will go behind the curtain there that leads to the kitchen. †Nick will talk up about the 'reluctant tastes of picky eaters' and will moan about 'special dinner requests,' but he is merely providing a public reason for our entering the kitchen. †Come, follow me."

 

Without looking behind him, Warrick strides confidently toward the curtain even as Nick draws it back and begins chastising the peculiar tastes of dandies and elves. †Warrick guides them through the kitchen deftly maneuvering between serving and preparing personnel.

 

"Over there is a rear exit to the street level. †That can be handy to know since it is not obvious from the common room. †But that is not the real secret." †Warrick moves to one of the few walls that does not bear shelves or cooking implements. †There is a stark, greasy tapestry depicting what might have once been a proud tree but the tapestry has long since faded and been smeared with who knows what. †It hangs four feet wide from ceiling to floor and Warrick sweeps it back to reveal a wooden door. †Tugging the door open, the rogue waves the group down a narrow stairway and takes a lit lantern from Nick to lead the way in.

 

The group empties into a basement filled with preserved foodstuffs in crates, casks, and the like. †There is a single table in the room that bears little dust and is abutted by eight sturdy wooden chairs. †Along two walls are built-in wine racks where several and various wine bottles lay aging. †Warrick says nothing until Nick closes the door at the top of the stairs.

 

"My friends, this is a private meeting room that Nick provides certain of his guests. †As I mentioned, sometimes dignitaries visit Lord Hadren but do not stay at the castle for one reason or another. †This room has served as site for many a clandestine agreement or undercover treaty signing. †The world will never know the historical significance of this room, but it has seen plenty of use.

 

"Nick has made this room available to us whenever we wish it while we are here subject only to the unexpected arrival of a foreign minister on royal duty. †He does not anticipate such an interruption, but during these times, one never knows. †At any rate, it is ours until he tells us otherwise.

 

"There are two things of importance to our mission in this room. †The first is a secret compartment useful for storing important items, contraband, or magic that we intend to keep secret. †I cannot show it to you because Nick has revealed it to no one. †However, if we need something of that nature hidden, Nick will do it for us. †Actually, to be completely truthful," a sheepish look comes over Warricks mein, "I actually know where it is, but I promised him I would not tell. †He once had a visitor that was an official 'mark' for me and I was required to break into the Blind Monk and steal the illicit materials this person was ferrying. †Were it not an order directly from Lord Hadren himself I'd not have done it. †Nonetheless, what's done is done. †It took Nick a long time to forgive that little escapade because the safety he provides his guests is renowned in certain circles. †But Nick is a good soul and looks for a reason to forgive and old friend."

 

Warrick pauses a moment to collect himself from an unfortunate memory. †With a sigh and an unconscious shrug, he resumes his trademark smile and considers the group again.

 

"All that is interesting information, but there is one more secret Nick hides that he shares with only a very few. †Because you are with me, he is trusting you to keep this very secret. †Do not even discuss this amongst yourselves for mine and Nick's sake." †Warrick pauses to let the sincerity of what he's saying to wash over them.

 

Without another word he steps to the middle part of the floor-to-ceiling wine racks on the wall opposite the stairway they came in on. †Removing a particular bottle and reaching into its space, Warrick triggers some sort of release with an audible 'click.' †Next he pulls on the whole wine rack and instead of crashing down, the rack and the wall behind it swing slowly open revealing a dank, featureless 10'x10' alcove. †The only thing of note in the space is a stone trapdoor set into the floor in the middle of the room.  A stale and somewhat acrid smell emanates into the room.

 

"This, my friends, is what I think the Blind Monk can best contribute to our assignment. †You see, occasionally the dignitaries that visit Nick are not governmental dignitaries. †Rather, a number of them are wanted men or, more often, powerful people that have enemies. †Nick has provided an escape route from the Blind Monk that will attract no attention whatever. †You see, that trapdoor leads to the sewers of Searoad. †And while it provides an olfactory sensation you won't soon forget, it also guarantees you have an escape route that none can scry.

 

"For us, it leads to the last place Jack the Ratcatcher was seen alive, and possibly, to the site of whatever he may have seen that he should not have. †That last bit is pure speculation at this point, but it is a lead worth investigating. †No?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Definitly."

 

(To Jessett) "If you are blessed with the Dark Vision you should lead - I will be beside you."

 

(To Stern) "Help me lift this stone"

 

With Stern's help (if forthcoming) I will lift the trapdoor. If Jessett says she does not have Dark Vision (or doesn't want to go first for any other reason) then I shall obtain a torch and head down the hole, allowing Warwick to advise me if there is more than 1 direction available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern moves with the group to the secret place within the Inn. †He is very interested and soaks up all the details of Warrick's disclosure. †

 

Speaking to Robert, "Aye, I shall give ye a hand with that." †(Helps Robert open the stone hatch).

 

Speaking to Warrick, "Farin' we go down in ta the bowels of the city, me thinks we'll be needin' our gear..."

 

To the group, "I shall go fetch our gear and the dogs" (if no one objects) Stern will go get everyone's gear and the two dogs.

 

Upon his return, Stern speaks again to the group, "What say we decide on a marchin' order that best serves us in case of attack." †

 

To Warrick, "Jesset and I would best be used at point, with the dogs, and of course her night vision." (nods to Jesset) †

 

Lookin' foward to finally knockin' some skulls... †Argh, I be lovin' the sound of crackin' bones

 

"Mykayla and Shan should stay close to the middle, Ametrine, Robert can ye watch our backs?" †

 

Stern, obviously has his own ideas, but looks to the group for a response regarding marching order.

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mykayla gives Stern her consent to fetch her gear. All the while looking at that "whole" in the ground.

 By the gods, why does it HAVE to be the sewers? deep breath. You can do this.

 "I have no problems with the order in which we descend. I do think Warrick should be out front too. I think his skills would be most appropriate in this situation." She gives Warrick a wane smile.

  Mykayla doesn't look too pleased with the prospect of going into the sewers, but dies appear to be putting on a "brave" face.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern places a large leather-gloved hand upon Shan's shoulder, looks him straight in the eyes, and speaks to him...

 

"Fear not me friend, no harm shall come t'ya. †Ya have me promise on that... Stay close to Warrick, Jesset, and ma'self."

 

Still seeing Shan's look of fear, he adds- "Shan lissen' ta me, if 'n things get ugly (snaps his fingers once, which brings Hammer to their heels) Hammer here will protect ya as well... †(looks at Hammer and gives the command "PROTECT" (gently pats Shan's shoulder). †Hammer barks twice, and proceeds lick Shan's face profusely.

 

Stern waits to enter the sewers.

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Right.  Well, let's take it slow to start with.  It will take some time for everyone to get used to the smell.  Don't be embarrassed if you lose your lunch down there.  Just about everyone does on their first trip in.  There is a concrete platform about seven feet straight below the trap door.  I'll go first so we have some light down there."

 

Warrick sets the lantern next to the entryway and pauses long enogh to don some black leather gauntlets cut to match his armor.  With a wink to the party he swings down slowly to be sure he gets a good stance on the muck-covered platform.  He quickly takes the lantern from the hole and drops to a crouch drawing his main-gauche and holding it forth, just in case.  Satisfied that it is safe for the others to follow he motions to Stern.

 

"You should come down big fellow, so you can lower everyone else in safely, including the animals."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Stern moves to the sewer entrance Mykayla steps forward. "I'll go next if you don't mind. A bit of magical back may or may not be prudent."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mykayla gets her footing, looks around and says. "Nice. The 'atmoshpere' leaves a bit to be desired." She smiles and chuckles. "Mind you though, I see any spiders bigger than a copper piece, I'm throwing you at them."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern responds to Warrick, "Very well then..."

 

Stern moves to enter the sewers, but waits, per Mykayla's request, and helps her in next, "In ya go m' lady, watch yer step now..."(lowers her down to Warrick with his right arm)

 

Light as a feather! She canno' weigh but a few stone...

 

Stern then lowers himself into the manhole and calls for the others to begin climbing down...

 

"All right then ya lackeys! †Who's next?"

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mykayla smiles when she see Robert and moves carefully to stand slightly behind him, letting him now watch the sewer passage while she makes sure she's ready to back him up if needed. She will occasionally turn to watch the progress of the others as they descend into the sewer.

 LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the others are preceeding her down the let, Jesset takes a moment to resin her bowstring, knowing that any slip or splash in such a foul place could put a corroding muck to the string... and she would rather not risk a break.

 

"Ho," Jesset calls in a coarse whisper - I don't really want all this gear." Removing a good bit from her pack, she carefully digs out the few small items she might need in the next few hours, then repacks her rucksack and stows it in a corner of the secret room.

 

Heading back towards the hatch, she catches a full breath of the sewer gas. Her gorge rises, but she does not vomit.

 

Well, i've been in Orc drek this foul before, if not so plentiful. And the stink from an owlbear den is almost this bad if their recent kills have a chance to rot.

 

Here I thought the city a clean place next to the trenches and gullys in which my recent war was fought. Well, at least I detect no odor of zombie gore. Now that is a foul smell! Ah, here's my turn...

 

Seeing her chance to descend, she takes it, then gestures to stern which end of their corridor she will guard, leaving him the need only to watch in one direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame quietly follows the tour of the tavern.  

 

When the party begins to enter the sewer, she goes last with her warhammer at the ready.

 

She declined the retreaval of her gear, as all she needs is upon her.

 

c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×