Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Darakan Chronicles

Recommended Posts

Hey all. Sorry about the delay. Just sat down to do this and choked half-way through. Need sleep, or something. Enjoy!

 

--Begin--

 

ìMay thí Gawds bay wií ya.î

 

Nickís final farewell to the group before he closes the hatch to the sewers. Making sure first the group is readied for their journey.

 

The smell is quite unmistakable. At least this stench is away from the streets above, the brick and mortar work of the sewers being one of the last kind things the Empire did for this town. The stones under your feet are fitted tightly together, showing almost Dwarven ingenuity. Their rough edges have been worn smooth from years upon years of use. The wet, heavy air clings to everything, and leaves those same smooth stones dangerously slippery. One should be cautious while moving around in here. The room the companions are in is tiny, more an alcove built later on to give access to Nickís. Stepping onto the main walkway, the first thing noticed is the smell becoming worse. A thick, oozing river, heavy with greenish scum lazily rolls its way downstream. The walls curve over, becoming ceiling then the far wall, imitating Dwarven techniques. Exceptionally tall humans have need to be doubly cautious, the ceiling tall for a regular Human or Elf, cavernous for a Dwarf, but annoying for an Orc.

 

The smallest sound echoes thunderously around the tunnels, making this small group of companions sound as if the Orc Hordes were descending upon the land once more.  The two main routes the companions have are upstream, which one would assume brings you further into the maze of tunnels, or downstream, which would bring you out to the water, eventually.

 

Nick, in the meantime, shakes his head softly and turns to his wife. ìSweetíart! Best get the Apothecary supplies. Knowing Warrick, ëeíll needím.î

 

--End--

 

Alright, enjoy.

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now: the superfunhappywheewe'regoingtodie! bonus round: Respond to the posting of you all in the sewers, not this one. This one you speculate about on the OOC threads. Bwhahaha!

 

--Begin--

 

Regent Fedlak does return, a glorious image in his thick, rich violet garb. His beard is colored a bright yellow and oiled in the fashion of the Darakan, forked into three distinct points. He allows the cheers to wash over him for a moment, then asks for silence. ìMy people!î He calls out to them. ìSearoad will never truly overcome the loss of Lord Hadren. We were brothers, and word of his death reached my ears, I went to the temples, wishing the Gods to favor his soul, for he has done so much for all of you!î More cheers, then he raises his arms once more, asking for silence. ìI have been told!î he pauses. ìThat our own Diviner, Lady Beleah has found prophecy! Seven have come to strike those responsible down with the fury of the Gods!î At this, the cheers become genuine and louder. ìAs we speak, they are already on their paths to greatness! So I beseech you, good people. Give your thoughts to your tasks, except to the Gods, which all our thoughts are firstly to.î He waves once more to them, then turns and heads into the castle proper. His fixed smile continues all the way to the Regentís Office.

 

Once the door latches, his smile becomes a scowl.

 

ìWhat in Helís name is that Witch thinking!!î he snarls aloud to his lackey. Fedlak crosses the room, taking a bottle of amber liquid to his lips, drinking deeply. ìWas she there? Find out. I need to know, and find out what dimwits sheís corralled into doing this. See what she knows, and what foolís errand theyíre going to go about.î He sits heavily in his chair, sighing as he looks out over the Southern Seas. ìGO!!!î He lashes out at the lackey, tossing the carafe clear across the room, shattering against the door.

 

When the room quiets down, the Regent sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose, as if to squeeze out the pain contained in his head. He stands, going to get a glass of wine from the same table as the amber liquid. He sits back down and sighs again. Too much is riding on this one. But if it all goes well...

 

A foot fall, thatís all the warning he gets before he snaps his head up, looking into the fish-eyed stare of a Sorrowful Man. ìBy the Gods! Make some noise when youíre not trying to kill someone!î he snaps, then calms down. The Man stares at him further. ìWell. Are they all removed? I /have/ been away, you know.î

 

ìAll but one.î The assassin says, his voice chill as a grave.

 

ìWhat do you mean, ëall but oneí? Your vaunted skills leave you at a bad moment?î

 

ìHe jumped.î The Man says, in that same dead voice.

 

The Regent spits up the wine he was sipping, his head coloring like a beet before he can control himself enough to speak. ìHeóJumped!î Fedlak sputters, but controls his voice longer. ìWhere?î

 

The Man nods in the direction of the Seas. ìInto the water.î

 

Fedlak calms down to control his voice. ìAnd you made sure he was... disposed of?î

 

The Man shrugged, ìHe fell, the Guard close by. He could not survive.î

 

The Regent looked about ready to pull his own beard out. White-knuckled he grabs the desk, so tightly he breaks nails against the polished wood. ìWhat do you mean, ëhe could not surviveí!î he spits the words out, wishing he could do more to this servant of death.

 

ìTide rolling out, fell from a great height. He has joined the Otherworld now.î

 

The Regent takes a swallow of wine, calming down. ìYes... of course. Such a treacherous cliff, it is. A terrible shame, of course.î Fedlakís calm demeanor returns, even being sociable to this.. tool. ìBegone. Should I need you, you know how I will contact you.î Fedlak takes another deep swallow of wine.

 

When he looks up, the assassin is gone.

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer, Gee Em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame looks both up and down stream, "Warrick, which leads to the last place the ratcatcher was seen?  I suggest that would be our direction too."

 

Ame will follow without complaint which ever direction the others pick, she prefers to stay as one group and not splinter off, and she will bring up the rear of the entourage unless requested differently.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet orge's arse! †That stench... †Breath through yer mouth Stern, yer mouth!

 

Stern, after making sure all have made it safely into the sewers below, holds his Greatsword low at his side. †Stern will position himself toward the rear of the party with Ametrine, for now...

 

Speaking to Warrick in low clear whisper, "Which way Sir Warrick?"

 

THWACK! (Stern bangs his head on the moist ceiling)

 

Blasted low tunnels!

 

Looks to Ametrine, who seems to be smiling, and speaks, Canna ya be ma eyes dwarf?, or maybe I best fire up a torch light.." †

 

With a nod and an even wider smile Ametrine, suggests a torch might me a good idea...  With that, Stern manages to light a torch from his pack...  

 

The newly lit view is dismal.

 

Stern whipsers again this time to the majic-users, "Shan, Mykayla... Stay close to the group."

 

May the Gods guide us true...

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"To be completely honest, I only have a vague idea where Jack the Ratcatcher usually worked.  As you might imagine he was frequently in the sewers but he didn't stay in only one place.  If we follow this passage it will lead us to a central network in the system.  That was the point that Jack most frequently entered and exited and probably where he was most often.  I was going to head there and see what we could see.

 

"If we don't find any leads then I suspect I won't have to work hard convincing anyone to exit the sewer lines to develop another plan..."

 

Warrick begins to move forward slowly even as he works to ignore the oppressive smell.  He moves slowly and carefully making sure each footfall is steady.  He holds lantern and rapier forth as he makes his way down the line to the main artery in the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shan wrinkles his nose and Nutkin sneezes, chittering angrily.

 

"I know, little one. I hate it too."

 

This is the smell of too many pushed together.

 

He smiles at Mykala standing next to him and looks visibly relieved when Stern lights the torch.

 

"Thank you... I felt as though the dark was about to strangle me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesset has her bow out and in hand. After a brief conference with Warrick, she tells the others: "We'll let Warrick get 20' ahead, or so, then we can follow. He'll be more effective with a little space around him to work. If I ever become comfortable with the dangers of these sewers, I'll take point - my eyes are better suited for it - but his skills and instincts are better suited for now. In the meantime, make sure no one passes me unless battle erupts or new orders are given."

 

Reaching down she scratches garr's ears. He whines softly while she scratches, but returns to silence when her hand is withdrawn. "You see him and smell him, still - don't you boy. He's our friend and it'll be our job to keep the worst from happening to him, okay?" Slipping into orc speech, she gives garr some soft commands, then shifts to elven, though low, as if talking to herself: "I'll protect him as if he were you, Garr. He is a brave one to take the lead in these sewers. Brave and... intriguing. Compelling." Then in a louder, coarse whisper, "Well we should be off."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a sigh. Mykayla quickly ties up her dress to allow more movement and to keep as much of it as possible out of the muck.

Definitely going to need a bath after this! I hope this isn't for naught.

†She will fall in behind Robert, glance back at Shan, (return his smile) Glad I am not the only one uncomfortable down here. and prepare to follow the others out of the nich.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, buckaroos! Here's another installment of 'Down and Out in Searoad'! More atmosphere, I rolled for a random encounter, nothing...

 

...this time.

 

--Begin--

Misery loves company, and this company has plenty of it. The light given off by Sternís torch helps, but even it seems to be suppressed in such dismal surroundings.  Even the companionís shadows take on menacing shapes against the walls. Tiny wisps of spiders silk brush against faces and hands, the stones cool and wet against touches and the slightest sound becomes eerie in these surroundings.

 

Those blessed with the ability to see in this gloom can detect little more. The flow seems only a jump wide at this point, but none dare find out how deep it really is.  

 

Warrickís steps ahead with caution, soon he becomes the only bright silhouette ahead of them. As the companions delve further, the air becomes staler and takes on a rancid tinge, almost as if you could taste the air, a disgusting thought at best. Warrick shares his lonely vigil with the rats, natural denizens of such environs. They mingle to themselves, and hope to stay out from under foot. As the rest of the group closes, the rats find better climes to be in, lest they become a snack for such powerful dogs.

 

Further and further the companions travel. The pass several pipes, emitting everything from plain rain water to fouler things. None seem to be wide enough for a person to pass through, so the companions continue onward.

 

Time is a hard thing to tell in this eternally dark realm, but even the dimmest realize that time has past in their travels. Soon the noise level rises with water coming into the sewers. It must be raining on the surface. A trickle becomes a flow and given enough time, even this stagnant water will pass out of here. The air, however, still leaves something to be desired.

 

Thank the Gods Warrick seems to know where heís going, turning only occassionally. Deeper into the heart of the laberynth he leads, and with time, there is enough room for two people to stand side by side. The tunnels become wider and higher, a comfort for some, but this only means the companionís lights seem smaller and smaller...

 

--end--

 

Enjoy!

 

--lstormhammer, Gee Em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern will continue walking, but moves to Ame's left flank as the sewer passage allows. †

 

I 'em ready fer ya beasts o' this place, look alive now Stern...

 

Glancing from the corner of his eye, Stern speaks to Ame in a low whisper, "Stay ready dwarf..."

 

Stern will continue moving with the party. †

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[maintaining same marching order]

 

Jesset glances frequently upward - distrusting this warren of tunnels & knowing well how often she has hidden in trees above her enemies.

 

Almost as frequently, she glances backward with a protective instinct towards Shan and then Robert.

 

The humans will be easiest ambushed in this gloom. May Ame's eyes sight danger first. Stern has the same weak eyes, but even in an ambush he just may surprise an assassin. Should I keep Garr with me, or send him back to protect Shan?

 

[ORC] [Whisper] huh boy? you think they need help? yeah, maybe, but why don't you stay with me so if you slip in the muck I can pull you out. here, give me your ears. yeah, that's a throat-crusher, aren't you boy? [/ORC][/Whisper]

 

Jesset returns her attention to searching out an ambush...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the gods this place is opressive. I hope we find what we are looking for soon. Mykayla pulls her cloak in closer around her. It's raining above. I hope these sewers don't get too full.

 She will stick close to the middle of the group and stay on the alert.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame stays as alert as possible as she follows the procession through the sewers. †She keeps taking a glance behind them at the way they have come, as well as keeping an eye on the ceiling surfaces. †She appraises the construction of the tunnels and compares the craftsmanship with her home.

 

this water level best not rise too much, at least the stench is flowing with the added waters, but still, it is foul, is it time to eat yet, I might be hungry, the water, yech.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert walks with seeming ease but also great care. I am ready to help Mykayla should she stumble.

 

Why has everyone got their weapons drawn? Perhaps it's to keep them out of this muck - I don't want to appear a novice......

 

I draw my longsword. I pay more attention to my ears than my eyes - I am listening intently. I am quite happy to follow Jesset - her comments in elven cause an eyebrow to be raised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...