Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

The Darakan Chronicles

Recommended Posts

(ooc - Going back a bit)

"Good Morning to you, mistress Ametrine. And to you, Giant." A nod to the islander. I move to the Islander's side after Stern has been prevented from committing Squirrel-cide. This creature seems as out of place here as I do"May I talk with your companion, Islander?"

 

Using Animal Empathy I shall 'introduce' myself to Nutkin for a few moments.

 

(Interrupted by the sound of Stern's breakfast vacating his stomach)

By sweet Ehlonna, he can't be drunk again already!

 

(Mykyala enters)

(in answer) - "Yes, my lady. Thank You. You slept well too, I see" (Quietly to her alone) "It seems the giant has been drinking already. I hope he fights as well as he carouses"

 

(Jesset enters)

A nod in recognition toward her, and an appreciative eye over her bow.

Stomach beginning to rumble, I will leave with Mykayla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nutkin races around Robert's head and shoulders then stands and "scolds" the Islander for a few minutes before heading back over to him.

 

"I think he's trying to tell me that I better not leave him again." He says with a smile and another scratch behind the ears. "Believe in me, little one... I don't plan on it."

 

He walks over to where the remaining gear is stored.

 

Hmmmm... I imagine that whatever nobody else takes must have been brought in and belong with me. Perhaps a clue as to my origins will be there, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick saunters into the great room last to enter.  He is all smiles and affable though he is quite aware he was the last to arrive.  Judging from his reaction this fact must please him in some way.  His black leather armor set hugs his lean body but is cut to allow maximum flexibility.  The only thing missing from his previous night's ensemble is the tabard and he wears a fresh white and purple striped shirt.

 

"Good morn to each of you.  I took the liberty of spending an extra long morning with my down pillow as I know it will be the last fulfilling night's sleep I will get for some time," his manner is a winsome as ever despite the lack of enthusiasm his message may bring.  Unflapped, he continues, stretching slightly as he speaks, "It looks as though you are all here."

 

Great, early risers.  Why must everyone I get linked to be an early riser?  Elves and dwarves, far too industrious.  They probably woke the sun up...  *sigh* It seems I am made to suffer.  *grin*

 

"Why don't we make the trip to the dining hall for breakfast?  It is surely going to offer something more appetizing than whatever foul aroma is emanating from what has evidently died in here."  His eyes meet with Stern's almost as if he knows what has transpired before his arrival.  His smile broadens slightly at the notion.

 

"Shall we?"

 

As Mykayla moves that direction he offers his arm to her, "May I my lady?"

 

Looking back to the others he adds, "I will gladly field any questions that may have occurred to you overnight.  I know a few things about the Sorrowful Men, but of Diviners, Fate, and our pending adventure I know precious little.  But I prefer you know what I know at a minimum."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mylayla appraises Warrick cooly

 By the gods I don't know what to make of him. He seems as complex as a minatuar's labyrinth

 She smiles slightly and inclines her head to Warrick and takes his proffered arm. "I am most interested in learning how you came to know so much about these 'sorrowful men'. I feel your insight may prove useful in determining why they have stuck so frequently all of a sudden." During this she gives Robert a discreet hand motion letting him know not to get "overly protective"

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ame also follows them into the dining hall, looking forward to a large meal to start the day, and planning on stashing some fresh fruit into a pouch for later.

 

She grins at the comment regarding the odor of death in the antechamber.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Monday Evening Post! Now with Decision-making abilities!

Enjoy, kids. And remember: It's supposed to be fun!

 

--Begin--

 

With the characters up to welcome the Chariot of the Sun as it begins its journey across the heavens, other, more pleasing smells begin to approach them. The sharp sizzle of bacon, eggs, fat sausages and warm bread greet them as they enter the main dining hall. Like many rooms in this castle, thick stone walls are covered by tapestries, even paint on the walls, murals showing feasts and glorious occasions. This room is lower to the ground, and lighting is provided both my firelight, torches and even tallow candles suspended high in the air by chains. Old, lazy dogs doze quietly before the hearth while cats prowl around for a nibble to beg off someone. Being so early, most of the in habitants are busy elsewhere, preparing for the Regents return to their halls. One of the matrons of the dining hall looks at the lot, shaking her head at Sternís... condition. ìGawds above, canít hold your own, can you? You big baby.î She clucks to her self, reminding one of a mother hen. ìGíwan wií you. Bathe, then come back. Youíll put everyone off their meals.î Her tone brooks no discussion. Stern is to the bathing house.

 

The remaining group breaks bread while waiting for Stern to return, giving them plenty of time to eat. Some fruits are available this cool morning, but most will be saved for their betters. The sharp chill in the air gives some indication that Rain is to be arriving today.

 

Children usually helping with the dayís chores slowly begin to cease their tasks, watching the group of hardened adventurers. Nutkin twists around on the Islanderís shoulders, watching the children, who are beginning to squeal in delight at the little, bright eyed and bushy tailed creature. A tiny girl begins holding out some bread for the little beastie, luring it closer. Slowly, slowly, Nutkin approaches them, chittering quietly and flicking his tail. The other children quiet down as the squirrel approaches. With one tiny paw reaching out, the familiar takes the old roll, larger than he, and begins nibbling on it. The children are delighted with this idea, and begin laughing.  Other inhabitants of the Hall begin noticing, and a pair of emerald eyes in the shadows slowly begin creeping forward. The children are quick, and spot the scrawny cat stalking such a large and juicy squirrel. The magic of the moment is broken as Nutkin drops the roll with a squeak, and dashed back to the Islander.

 

As Stern returns, much better than before, the Dark Skinned man comes to the Characterís table, still wearing his band of back on his sleeve. ìMilady Beleah regrets that she cannot make time to see you all this morning. She asks that perhaps, a later time can be made to meet with you all.î He looks at the Islander and says to him. ìMilady also informs me that you were without a proper weapon, or coin to purchase such necessities. She did say this was with you, when you were... found.î He holds out a string of leather, on it is a tiny pouch. ìMilady also says that itís contents will help you.î He hands the pouch to the Islander. ìI wish you luck, finding your name.î

 

With that, he again wishes the group the Godís favor, an departs for other errands.

 

The question remaining after breaking the fast is: Where from here?

 

--End--

 

--lstormhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick escorts Mykayla to the table seating her before he seats himself opposite her. †He has noticed that Robert has kept close to the both of them and makes a mental note not to antagonize the situation.

 

T'would be a shame to die for having manners, but better dead with them than alive without. †Or something close to that...

 

Warrick scans the group again. †"No holy man to bless this assembly or food then? †Well, just as well I suppose. †We are bound to find our way into situations that gentler men would find uncomfortable."

 

Warrick shows no expression when it is announced that the Diviner will not be joining them.

 

These aristocracy and their flippant ways. †Of course, consistent people are no fun to hunt...

 

"I think I should make more of an introduction for myself. †No doubt you all had the opportunity to bond a bit after a night in the gaol and I must appear the right outsider to your group. †I assure you that I will endeavor to make of myself an equal partner in all that we risk. †Perhaps when I have let a little blood alongside you you will understand my commitment."

 

For the first time he loses his outwardly flippant demeanor and takes on a serious mein. †"I am the faithful servant of our former Lord Hadran. †I am in the service of one of the more specialized units in M'Lord's army. †I served as a Scout for some time before being moved into a small force that specializes in gathering information and acting subtly to counter threats to this fine city be they enemy, rebellion, or even friends that are well-intentioned but risk too much. †It is in this employ that I have come to know the Sorrowful Men. †

 

"My line of work has me frequently moving in the same circles that they do, so I have been aware of their presence for some time. †This is a normal threat in any large and thriving city, so I kept a passive eye on them. †They have rarely attempted to make a political statement. †They are mercenaries interesting in spilling blood for money, little more.

 

"Their recent behavior has made it much more personal for me. †I grew concerned at their patterns and consulted the Diviner often regarding the safety of my Lord. †I could only believe they were building up to a greater target when they struck him. †They have now essentially created a feeling of insecurity within the city and that is trodding in my garden uninvited.

 

"As frightening as they are, I still believe them to be a mere pawn in all of this, though they would not think it. †They are too consistent in their greed. †Someone is paying them to create a power vacuum among the city's leaders and they are the real threat. †I had intended to attempt to infiltrate the Sorrowful Men in an effort to get closer to whomever their employers are. †It was then that My Lady Beleah began telling me of those that have been 'chosen' for the task. †I was equally surprised to learn that I had been 'chosen' to join you. †I am in the habit of working alone but this adjustment may work nicely. †It may afford a greater range of options than having to spend all the time insinuating myself in the Sorrowful Men."

 

Warrick glances about the room to make sure the servants are far enogh away not to hear his next statement. †He even leans in a bit and speak in a hushed tone.

 

"The fact is that even Beleah has come up blank more often than not. †And, frankly, she is almost as good at acquiring information as I am." †He adds a slight smile to indicate his joke. †"Only another Diviner could mask the scryings of one so well-experienced as she. †That is going to make our jobs a little more...challenging."

 

He adds the last with an even broader smile and his usual demeanor returns as he eases back into his chair. †"Of course, these sorts of things only add to the greatness of our impending success, don't you think?" he says with confidence. †He eats little, fruit only, as he reties his hair back and listens on at the reactions of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that wizardry is not the only magik. A servant of a god of secrets, evil or opacity could also cloud the omens.

 

But that is only a digression of the issue before us. You speak almost as if you expect us to... infiltrate? these Sorrowful Men. This would indeed be difficult for me to do.

 

If this is not now the goal, what is? To take a war to them? It would not be unfamiliar to me, nor, I would guess, to Robert, if our role was to lurk on rooftops sending blackened shafts into shadowy targets from ambush. But Stern nor Ametrine seem well used as snipers. They have other skills - and a frightenening hardiness and strength. Do we then storm the guildhall of these Men? Do we even have information about where this might be?

 

I suppose I still little understand our mission. Could you tell me only this, Warrick? Where do the Sorrowful Men abide? If we know not this secret, our options are fewer and we can more quickly make a decision about what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern, freshly returned from his first bath in weeks, hair washed, face cleanly shaven, and the once tangled mess of hair now neatly braided, stands and speaks to Warrick and the others...

 

"I mussa agree with my Skoili friend, the dwarf and I are †certainly no assassins. †We be needin' a do this with a fine mixture of blade, hammer, and cut throat... †If 'in were to track these "men" like an old cave bear so be it, but once we find 'em...(pauses) †I fer one will be crackin' some heads!" (gently pounds a top the pommel of his greatsword)

 

(Turns to look directly at Warrick)

 

"I dunno about you sir Warrick, but I'll cut a man in half if he gets in me way... †I am ready to follow you, serve lady Beleah, protect the majik slingers, and die honorabley if 'in the Gods will have me..."(pounds his leather fisted glove on table) †

 

"And what of compensation?, I fer one expect to be paid well fer this quest... †I've got me eye on a fine piece of land west of Northberry..."

 

Stern again looks to the others for their response.. †With his hair pulled away from his face and neatly braided on either side, it is noticeably clear that Stern is very youthful, maybe aged only 19 or 20 years. †Yet this warrior seems to carry himself with great purpose, as long as he stays away from the drink... †

 

"Now, lemme hear from the others..."

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You say they are making a power vaccum here in Searoad. Any idea who the next victim may be? And we must decide on a plan. For as it has already been said some of us are not suited for combat of the stealthy type. I think the young islander and I are of similar power, both weilding magic. Am I not right?" And Mykayla looks at the islander " And, since it would be rude to keep calling you the islander, may I suggest a a 'temprorary name for you? Shanhaeval? It is elven for 'Shadowchild'."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Islander opens the small leather bag with Nutkin eagerly pressing his face into it, expecting a treat.

 

"Hmmm..." the Islander pauses and pulls out an old brass key, heavy for it's small size, with a smooted handle as if from use.

 

Nutkin sniffs the key, unhappy that it's not something to eat, still keeping a wary eye out for the cat.

 

Next, the Islander pulls out a small golden ring inset with a blood-red ruby surrounded by seven pearls. A strange look crosses his face as he turns it around in his hands. He tries it on, but it is too small for any save his pinky finger.

 

"This... seems... familiar to me. But I don't know why." After inspecting it a bit more, he notices something.

 

"There's writing here! Can anyone read this?"

 

He will hold the ring out so everyone can see.

 

He will hold the ring out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick holds his hands up slightly before him.  "No, no, I'm not suggesting that we infiltrate.  I must not have been clear.  That's what I would have done were I still working alone.  Now that we are a group I think we should consider other options.  One that will draw upon our diverse skills.

 

"I can say nothing about how we will all be compensated.  And, unfortunately I have no idea whether or if the Sorrowful men have a base of operations.  My experience would suggest that they may have a meeting place but little more.  And as victims go, there are too many that would qualify for me to name just one."

 

He breathes a sigh and looks truly apologetic.  "I wish I had more to tell you.  Had I more notice that I would be working with a group I would have tried to have answers to these questions, but alas, I am at as much a loss as you.

 

"We still have options.  We could go down to the dockside of the city or to the warehouse district, the 'rougher' areas of town, to see if the common man has heard any leads worth pursuing.  Or, we could make it clear that we seek the Sorrowful Men and see what sort of attention it brings us.  If we do that we will not likely sleep well ever again.  But such is the risk I am willing to take."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stern bends down to look at the ring as well.

 

"I 'em afraid it looks none to familiar ta me..."

 

Blasted majik, never did like them type o' trinkets...

 

Stern then turns his attention back to Warrick who's started speaking to the group...

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...