Redghar - Orc Pirate

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Ub3r and Xherman!

Just a brief update showing a little more work.  The pictures were taken with my cell phone and using the regular room lights (not my typical photo setup), however I think they still turned out reasonably well.  I continued working on the green skin, doing the rest of the cheeks and into the jaw, then the top/back of his head and his ears.  I started on his teeth, but got pulled away before I could finish them.

post-13634-0-64974700-1470332453.jpgpost-13634-0-68320600-1470332454.jpgpost-13634-0-67058700-1470332455.jpg

• Like 20

Stunning work as always! So inspirational.

I wish I had bought more of these in the KS, I only got the cartographer.

Also, with apologies to bailey03 for a side comment; to those calling me a good painter: THIS is what a good painter paints like :)

Thank you, Cash and Darius!

I've made some more progress on Redghar.  I've continued to work on the skin, moving on to his torso and arms.  I'm working on small sections at a time, so you'll notice the back is still incomplete (just the base coat and shadows sketched in).

post-13634-0-13227500-1470679289.jpgpost-13634-0-95042500-1470679289.jpgpost-13634-0-61748500-1470679290.jpgpost-13634-0-27419300-1470679291.jpg

• Like 20

I love the work you're putting in to this, but I have to say the purple nose just doesn't work for me.  It just jumps out so much it becomes the focal point of the face.  The lips are fine, but why would the nose have such a different tonal value?

I love the work you're putting in to this, but I have to say the purple nose just doesn't work for me.  It just jumps out so much it becomes the focal point of the face.  The lips are fine, but why would the nose have such a different tonal value?

It's like an old dwarf that's drunk too much ale. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone!

Mckenna, that's fair enough.  Although with any fantasy creature, who's to say what is right or wrong?  I took a lot of inspiration from this version of the Papa Jambo bust.  On a human you'd get more red in the nose (at least at the lower edge), so some of this is based on that while clearly being more exaggerated.  I'll think about it more as I keep painting.  I could redo the nose with a mix of the purple and the green skin, toning it down to be much more subtle.  The option is there, I'll decide later whether or not I want to do that.

Edited by bailey03
  • Like 8

great work!

I like the addition of the image of the back showing the in progress steps.  

If possible I would love to steal see more of the actual steps/process you go through to achieve these kinds of results.  

( pretty please with sugar on top )  

or

in case your more of the barbarian type..

Moar!!!.. with a barrel of freshly brewed coffee on top!)

:devil:

• Like 3