Grayfax

Reapercon First-Timer: What do I Need to Know?

I think I will be able to make it to ReaperCon this year, but I've never been to this convention.  What do I need to know right now?

I should be able to buy tickets in the next 2 weeks.  Are there things to look forward to other than some of the classes I hope I can get in?

Also, will there still be VIP tickets left by then (or are they pretty much already gone and I should have known about this earlier)?

Not trying to enter into any of the painting contests (will save that for next year), I just want to have fun and see the sights, learn a lot and maybe play a few games.  I'll probably also spend too much money...

VIP tickets aren't limited this year, but do have a cutoff if I remember right. Pretty sure that was not this month.

Games are pretty constantly going, so there is that.

Then there is the factory tour, which should probably be a must-do.

Hanging out with forumites, wandering through the contest entries gallery, random painting at tables, random BS sessions, and vendor area. Oh, talking with the invited artists and watching them do their thing.

And if you've got anything painted that you are proud of, you should enter the painting contest. It's not against other entries for the most part, so no reason to be shy. My purposely painted ReaperCon entries from last time didn't do as well as one I had painted for fun. So don't discount taking something just because you didn't make it specifically to enter.

• Like 2

I think I will be able to make it to ReaperCon this year, but I've never been to this convention.  What do I need to know right now?

I should be able to buy tickets in the next 2 weeks.  Are there things to look forward to other than some of the classes I hope I can get in?

Also, will there still be VIP tickets left by then (or are they pretty much already gone and I should have known about this earlier)?

Not trying to enter into any of the painting contests (will save that for next year), I just want to have fun and see the sights, learn a lot and maybe play a few games.  I'll probably also spend too much money...

Admission passes will be purchasable at least until Oct 1, and I *think* they regular 4 day passes should will be available until Oct 7th. VIP Passes are not limited, so if you want one, you can grab it as long as tickets are for sale. I am unsure if VIP passes will be available on site or not. VIP passes will not be available on site, as we must order the food beforehand and will not have extra meals available.

Games are free, and a Games schedule is being worked out, with open submissions for attendees to run games themselves opening sometime this month.

Edited by Reaperbryan
corrected the data

Thanks guys!  And as for entering "anything I am proud of", well, I am late coming to this hobby.  Part of it is going to the classes to "git gud"... in another 4-5 years.  Like I said, I'll probably bring something next year just to see how all of that is done with zero expectations.  

Ticket Knowledge: Check
Games: Watching for Updates
Painting Entry: Delayed till 2017
Factory Tour: Listed, Check

Oh, and how do you handle taking your brushe(s) between classes, etc.?  At home, this is easy... in a crowd, maybe less so...

Edited by Grayfax

Always make your space orks look like happy little space orks.

Ok seriously, the classes are fantastic. Get into a bones modification one if you can, they're great. There's always gaming and open painting. Even the guests can be found painting with the normal weirdos (or were last year...not sure we'll have hotel paint space this year) and normally there's a group that goes for dinner if you're there Sunday night. Fantastic all around

• Like 3

Always make your space orks look like happy little space orks.

Ok seriously, the classes are fantastic. Get into a bones modification one if you can, they're great. There's always gaming and open painting. Even the guests can be found painting with the normal weirdos (or were last year...not sure we'll have hotel paint space this year) and normally there's a group that goes for dinner if you're there Sunday night. Fantastic all around

This is pretty much tradition. Has been like this from the start.

• Like 1

Hey... if I get Space Orks in some class, I'm going to paint them Happy! I'll post a sad lil pic of it...  :;):

Good point, but I need to keep things humble... don't want to be the bowler that shows up in custom kit and can't break 100, ya know?

• Like 2