ub3r_n3rd

Hobby Report - First and Best (so far)! [Group/Open]

Would love too, but find my my first (though I am sure I have it) would be hard.  I just know it is a Grenadier painted late 70s or early 80s.

• Like 5

Would love too, but find my my first (though I am sure I have it) would be hard.  I just know it is a Grenadier painted late 70s or early 80s.

Feel free to post anything from that same time period of when you started out in the hobby, it doesn't have to be your very first, but around the time when you were starting out is all I'm trying to see if people want to play along.

• Like 4

Wow, SG! Great improvement! 

@Cash - Your Rollo is still one of my favorite pieces from you as well!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 8

Great improvement on your part (and really, everyone's!). I love threads like this, you know all about my personal journey to improve.

Speaking of which, man...Rollo is a year and a half old. I need to paint up something 'nice'! Looking back at my blog, what a run of game plastic I've had lately!

• Like 7

Great improvement on your part (and really, everyone's!). I love threads like this, you know all about my personal journey to improve.

Speaking of which, man...Rollo is a year and a half old. I need to paint up something 'nice'! Looking back at my blog, what a run of game plastic I've had lately!

Thanks!

Totally agree. To me this is a journey we all start at roughly equal "levels" and everyone learns differently and everyone improves with practice and hard work. It shows that you can become a good or great painter if you put the effort into it. There's no magic pill or tool to speed up the process, the best thing that's happened to me is this forum. The advice, the critiques and the feedback. Such a great way to learn here amongst others who share the passion for the hobby and are so free with their knowledge to help newcomers become addicted. ::P:

Would love to see you paint another "nice" piece as well. ::D:

• Like 8

Fantastic !!!

Look at all this talent !!

Fun to see a few duplicate figures painted, and how we took different colors and approaches to them.

Excellent views, and you can learn something from all of these !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 8

I like this idea. I've already posted my first few minis here awhile ago but I might post them for this thread as well, but it will have to wait until after Gencon because my most recent one that I'm fairly pleased with is going to be in the Gencon painting contest.

I was planning on making a show off thread when I got back. Should I repost the picture here as well or just link to the other thread?

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
      Over on the Ghost Archipelago thread in the Fantasy forum, I posted about a toy-elephant head I glued to a Bones Bugbear to make a creature called an Eritherean, which is featured in the Bestiary for those rules, and is essentially an elephantman.  This led to a long discussion, and the inevitable gluing of the spare Bugbearhead to the Elephant's body.

It also made me realize how addictive head-swapping is, and since it was beginning to derail the Ghost Archieplago thread, I thought I'd open a new thread here for everybody to share any head-swapping projects they were doing.

To see the original thread, and subsequent discussion:

And here are the photos of my efforts so far:

So what have you been working on!?

• By knarthex
      so....

The painting funk has lasted for 4 months, and I need to get my cranium out of my anal orifice and start painting again....
      Posted Thursday at 09:46 PM So....

While on the hangouts with some folks that play 40K, we have been talking about stuff, and I went to look for a figure that I knew I had, and didn't want, that @Chaoswolf thought was cool, and found the following:

Now this is the basis for my mechanical Obliterators that I painted way back in 2003? and brought to Reapercon last year

where they got a silver medal in the open category

Speaking with one of the judges afterwards (@dks) we discussed them, and the painting dragged them down, as I said old paintjob...

Well, with my painting funk in its 4th month, I was thinking that maybe, I could re do a new one from scratch, and with all the sculpting things I have learned, as well as painting techniques, I might be able to do better...

Now Reaper forbids entering the same piece twice, but this would be a reprisal of something I did years ago....

Would this be legal as a new entry?
      @Heisler care to comment?

George

@Heisler's response
      As long as the entry is an entirely new piece and not one of those three then it would be a perfectly legal entry.

My response...
      thanks @Heisler
      really hoping this will kick out the brain weasel painting funk!

For some reason, I couldn't cross quote so....

It's gonna be ugly for a while....

the raw components:

lots and lots of surface grinding with the Dremel tool, and sore fingers.....

But hopefully, I've learne a bit about painting and sculpting since I did those guys, and this time, there will be only one....

• By brushforhire
      Hello! Long time no posting. I have been getting back into painting as a regular thing, so I hope to be here more often!

Anyways. I hope I picked the correct category of the forums for this.

So I have put together a group painting even during the course of Adepticon at the group hobby area. We are going to be painting a Fire Giant Queen, bones or metal. It is open to anyone and just a great way to meet other painters and see how we all interpret the same miniature.

Just grab a Fire Giant Queen, prep her, and bring her. I have not signed up for any events other than the crystal brush at adepticon, so I plan on being at the hobby area alot. I'll probably have a little sign to make it easier to find those of us who are doing this together. This is a super informal, pop in and out as you can, kind of thing. Mostly just to meet other painters and have a good time.

If this is not cool, I apologize.
    • By Last Knight
      In an odd coincidence that I swear I had nothing to do with, the passing of George Romero coincides with my finally completing a set of 77342, Zombies, from the second Bones Kickstarter.

I thought it might be nice if people painted (and shared) zombies, to honor the life of a man who changed horror movies forever.

• By EldritchEladrin
      Here's some love for the little guys, because it isn't all about the big bads.

A gang of nasty, orangey kobolds!

-E.E.

• Who's Online   14 Members, 2 Anonymous, 97 Guests (See full list)