Hobby Report - First and Best (so far)! [Group/Open]

ub3r_n3rd

"...one year's worth of XP, twenty eight times..."

I will try to locate and photograph relevant items.

*****Wonders what box(es) to look in.*****

First mini is gone forever. Also unknown. Apparently unfindable on the Internet. (Aside: my autocorrupt has decided Internet is a proper noun. I have no idea why. Is it? It gets capitalized automatically even though I never attempted to manually set it to do that. ) Where was I ??

Right. First mini. It was a horse and rider. The horse was a ghost. There was much swirly cloth horse barding (AC does not know the word barding.) ...and the barding morphed into swirly Caspar style ghostiness. The rider was heavily cloaked. Probably a wraith or a ghost. The rider had a lance. Cast in lead. Badly crooked. I replaced it with some wire.

Mostly I slathered this thing in India ink but I think I put two red dots in the empty sockets of the barding.

The mini belonged to a friend but I painted it for him.

I keep repeating the description hoping somebody recognizes it. It would have been about 1980-81.

If you can't find your "first" mini or pics of it, then how about the earliest in your painting journey that you have on hand or have pictures of?

• Like 3

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Aside: my autocorrupt has decided Internet is a proper noun. I have no idea why. Is it? It gets capitalized automatically even though I never attempted to manually set it to do that. ) Where was I ??

I've always capitalized it (unless I forgot for some reason), I think because the tech books I've read did so.  In informal usage, people do not always capitalize it.

• Like 4

@ Darcstaar That Sith is amazing!!! Great improvement!

@ George, You're getting better and better, and I love your work!

I agree on people on this forum contributing a lot.

I started out with Military model kits. then mostly grenadier and Warhammer stuff.

For decades my only references came from the White Dwarf magazine.

The the Internet was invented ( yes I'm old...)  and a whole world opened up.

I improved a bit...

Then in 2013 I joined this forum..

I have been more productive then ever, paint better and am still learning and improving.

And most of all I have so much fun here.

Of course certain individuals here have peeked my interests into larger scale minis and busts, my wallet thanks them ,you know who you are!

All I hope is that when i get older I will still be able to enjoy the hobby.

In that aspect, people like Malefactus, Jasonator and till he got ill, Catdancer are my inspiration.

Luckily there are things like magnifiers with headbands, visors and such.

Since I visited this forum I also invested in good brushes and this is really helping what you can achieve.

I've said it before and I will say it again.

This is an awesome Forum and you all are helping me and each other to have fun and learn.

There was a time when I didn't know if I wanted to get connected to the internet.

Now I don't know if i could go without it.

And certainly this forum is like a virtual second home.

There are even those who I can call friends here.

Maybe we don't meet in person, but we talk, have fun, share things ( sometimes less fun stuff ) and sometimes glitterbomb each other or send little surprises.

So..keep it up people!

Great thread

Great Forum

Great You!

• Like 11

@Xherman1964;

"All I hope is that when i get older I will still be able to enjoy the hobby.

In that aspect, people like Malefactus, Jasonator and till he got ill, Catdancer are my inspiration."

Thank you Xherman !  What a beautiful think to say.

I am sure that Malifactus and I both will say that you will continue on doing miniatures.

He has been doing it for a life time it seems, and still going strong, I am now over three years,

and the more I do, the more I enjoy.  The challenge, and the pure Joy one gets from each mini one does;

contributes to more happiness.  My big concession to age is "smaller handled brushes".. sometime I have to

really hunker over a mini to get that brush control !  Beyond that..Have a blast !

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 6

@Junex - really like your progress as well, the newest stuff you are doing is stunning!

@Junex - really like your progress as well, the newest stuff you are doing is stunning!

The barbarian speaks Trooth.

Thanks! I have great teachers. :D

• Like 6

Wonderful stuff Junex and Ghool!

@JAY, Thx.  Right now my concession ( I'm almost 52) is a visor. I can't see small details anymore without those and I need reading glasses for text and images.

Luckily I have  discovered larger minis like busts...so if this get worse, the minis might get bigger.

This may lead to other problems though.

*** No honey, we don't have room for a 1:1 scale Allosaurus with a Lizardman rider***

• Like 11

I'm hoping that more folks will contribute to the display of "I started here, and here I am now".

We all have taken so many trails to get to our respective levels.

I think that these pages are a great inspiration, and a NEWBIE should be directed here to begin

his journey, knowing this is where he can be by simply painting his favorite miniatures !

If you haven't posted, please do, you are making all of us feel proud, and delighted in your progress !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 6

I'm hoping that more folks will contribute to the display of "I started here, and here I am now".

We all have taken so many trails to get to our respective levels.

I think that these pages are a great inspiration, and a NEWBIE should be directed here to begin

his journey, knowing this is where he can be by simply painting his favorite miniatures !

If you haven't posted, please do, you are making all of us feel proud, and delighted in your progress !

AGREED!!

Keep posting and sharing everyone!

• Like 2