post-14361-0-54453900-1470200787.gif

(reaper bones #77207)

This is the second time I've done human flesh, and the first time I think I was remotely successful with it...  I hope.  

Keep in mind that at this point the rest of the figure hasn't been touched (it's a serious work in progress), but before I continued, I wanted some advice from the community...

Does the flesh look okay? 

Is there anything I could or should do to improve it?

Edited by Degare
  • Like 1

XHerman has a good suggestion, but a little more desription of colors used and process taken would be helpful.  Remember that no color exist on a vacuum on a miniature.  A little more advanced information here, but the colors that surround the skin will also influence how the skin looks to your eyes.

• Like 3

It's a good start, you've got the basic idea. It takes a lot of study and practice to get right, so don't sweat the journey (do as I say, not as I do, hah).

Initial thought is that, as I said, you've got the basic idea. The hand is a really strong example of what you're shooting for: darker tones in the recesses and lighter tones on the outer surfaces. For now, don't worry about lighting and stuff, just focus on getting that depth and trying to stay 'in the lines', ie not getting your highlights in the recesses or your shade values in the raised areas. Really try to watch where the brush goes and take your time and most of all don't be afraid to do it over a few times to get it right. A lot of instruction videos show people who can paint things right, but most of us take a few tries and spend a lot of time 'fixing' things (for example, if I get shadow color on a highlight I have to go back in with the highlight color to fix it, no big deal!).

Color-wise, I'd say the highlights look too white in the pic. I would use your base color as a mid-tone and then mix it (maybe 50/50 to start?) with the highlight color and use that for the highlights, so it doesn't look like two distinct colors, but a blend of the two. Maybe think about a darker tone for shadows, but maybe focus on the other stuff first, something you can play with if you want.

I started out using Reaper's skin tone triads to get a feel for cohesive flesh tones. You'll eventually want to branch out from that (though they're perfectly fine for tabletop!). Here's an example of me learning to paint basic flesh from the old (out of print) Reaper Learn-to-paint-kits: https://cashwiley.com/2012/12/16/bertokk-the-barbarian/

• Like 8

I like to start from a midtone. Think gw tallarn flesh. You can tweak midtone with blue, magenta or orange to get a more nuanced skin tone. I use ivory mixed with midtone up to nearly pure ivory in progressive highlights. Then glaze in maroon shadows of varying intensity depending on the depth of the shadow. So under a cheek isn't as dark as under an eyebrow if you follow. If you want to get fancy you can incorporate in violet or blue glazes.

• Like 2

I wouldn't really recommend anyone get into adding colors to basic skin tones until they can comfortably paint skin with off-the-shelf tones. Lower the amount of variables and focus on isolating the basics first.

What you're proposing, czebas, I would consider a bit more advanced than the stuff Degare should be tackling to improve in the near-term.

• Like 5

I agree with Cash. I'd start with something like the Reaper Triads for flesh colors. The easiest way for me was to start with the darkest shade (shadow) as the base coat, then apply the mid tone to area that aren't in crevices or in areas of shadow, then add in the highlight to spots that'd see the most light and be raised. Worry about adding in glazes and colors to your highlights and shadows after you've master the triads and learned to blend better. Really, it's just practice, you need to keep practicing to get better at anything and mini painting is no exception. Enjoy the hobby and most importantly, have fun!

• Like 6

In addition to Cash's suggestions, I'd take a look at how much water you're adding to your paint. Your surfaces look a bit chalky in the photos, which is often caused by over-thinning. (It can also be caused by overworking a surface that hasn't fully dried, though.)

I agree that it's easier to use straight-from-the-bottle colors rather than doing a lot of mixing when you start out. But I'll also suggest that you might want to go a bit further in your dynamic range. I've found that using the Tanned Skin triad as a base and pulling in Fair Shadow as a highlight and Dark Highlight as a shadow is pretty painless and works fairly well.

• Like 5

Yes, Doug. More than I wanted to get into, but as a rule you can use Dark/Tanned/Fair Skin triads end to end, they all work great together because Anne is a wizard.

• Like 8

There was a question earlier as to which paints I was using, which leads me to a little embarrassment;

I'm using a mixture of paints from "americana" to "apple barrel" - I took a pink, a white, and a tan, and mixed them around between themselves, and water (some are much thicker than others) as needed to try to create my own flesh-tones, lacking any sort of "actual paint" for the job...

However - seeing the suggestions here, I do believe my first step should be (before I continue trying to paint him), buying the nice reaper paints mentioned in these posts... Though unfortunately that may have to wait 'till next month, as a single skin-tone (3 paints) worth or reaper paint costs $9.87 (which is the same that I would normally pay for 19-25 paint colors)...

However - I believe this will be totally worth it.  ^.^  

I'll update this next month after the suggested paints are purchased, and I re-work his flesh using the advice.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

• Like 2

If you are looking for good skintones on the cheap, check out the Delta Ceramcoat skintones. They are normally a $1 a bottle at Michael's or JoAnne ETC...(Hobby Lobby may carry them as well.) They have some good Mid and highlight tones, and then you can mix some dark or light browns in to create your shadow tones. Thin them with water to the consistency of milk. This will help you in not only in your layering  technique, and also your blending as you progress in your painting. 

I've used these paints on some of my figures, especially if I'm working on a larger figure, like a giant or a bust, where I don't want to use my GW/Reaper/Army Painter/Vallejo colors. Hope this helps. :)

• Like 3

Degare- I use old craft paints I got when my grandmother passed.  Look at the color swathes* for the paint mentioned in this thread (Dark/Tanned/Fair Skin triads) and match them to colors you already have.  Sure reaper paints are awesome, but if you already have paint in that color you don't necessarily need to buy more paint. 

If you are looking for good skintones on the cheap, check out the Delta Ceramcoat skintones. They are normally a $1 a bottle at Michael's or JoAnne ETC...(Hobby Lobby may carry them as well.) They have some good Mid and highlight tones, and then you can mix some dark or light browns in to create your shadow tones. Thin them with water to the consistency of milk. This will help you in not only in your layering  technique, and also your blending as you progress in your painting. 

I've used these paints on some of my figures, especially if I'm working on a larger figure, like a giant or a bust, where I don't want to use my GW/Reaper/Army Painter/Vallejo colors. Hope this helps. :)

Delta Ceramcoat Santa's Flesh is surprisingly good.

I've developed quite a taste for Santa's Flesh. 

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      So this is the first time I tried painting freehand on the shield  This is the end result of the conversion: 

And for the conversion part, I didn't like neither this minis pose, nor its weapon choice (pickaxe really???), nor its commie looking (???) sigil on the shield. So I removed the weapon and sanded the shield. I also think that his pose looks a lot more natural as a spear throw than a pickaxe swing.. Also gave him some simple terrain and a quick paint  Thanks for looking!

• By DragonWyrm
      Since I like painting when it is dark outside I normally don't take photos, to combat this and get into the habit I am starting this thread. I will post some of my recent work, including things that are 95% done and are only missing a base. Some of the photos may not be the best, but they should suffice. 

Any advice and criticism is welcome.

So let us get started:

An old Pandora Metal starter set from Malifaux (and some Victoria Miniatures):
      The skin for the baby was done using Mars Violet (PR101), Nickel Titanate Yellow (PY53) and Titanium White (PW6). I may have also used Titanium Buff (PW6:1)

The litle girl is sculpted with a basket full of candy, but since she is holding some scissors I decided to make it arts and crafts materials and a mirror. I went for a Black, Red and White colour scheme do to the spade on her shirt which reminded me of cards.

The black is painted using Titanium White and Perylene Black (PBk31, which is green-ish in glazes and when tinted with white), I also decided against priming the figure and used the metalic to my advantage by glazing the Perylene over it.
      The redish colour is created by mixing some Quinacridone Magenta(PR122) with Red Iron Oxide(PR101).
      The mirror was done with Prussian Blue (PB27, I just love how it behaves. Only one of the manufacterurs, Matise, that I can get locally sells it in acrylics due to the the pigment chemicaly reacting with the acrylic binders), and Titanium White. 
      The white cloth was done using Titanium White, Nickel Titanate Yellow and some Burnt Umber (PBr7).
      Skin and wood is a mixture of Red Iron Oxide, Burnt Umber, Nickel Titanate Yellow and Titanium White/Buff.

Vampire sending little girl to collect blood with those scissors:

As you can see she is tiny.

Some Reaper Bones, mostly from Bones 4:

Comments on them:
      - The monk and scribe were fun to paint.
      - The death statue was so nice I decided to make it a summon instead, with otherworldy energy showing throught the cracks.
      - The old lady with a cane had her dress done by glazzing colours (ohh look I could make it behaved similar to contrast paints for a litteral fraction of the cost. AU$10 for 60mL of paint + AU$20 for 237mL of glaze medium + some dish soap/flow improver, wonder how many cidatel pots I can make with that especially with the contrast costing about $AU12 per 30mL pot)
      - The pillar has some meted bodies flondering in pain, fun to paint.
      - The Red/Black lady is some Pyrole Red (PR254) + Cerulean Blue(PB35) , and Perylene Black + Titanium White, the skin is made of Mars Violet and Titanium White. Similar to the vampire lord with little girl.
      - Fish lady has a pipe in her hat.

Some minor conversion
      My dreadmare herbalist arrived without the cylinder, I personally didn't really like that design choice so I decided not to ask for a replacement. Instead I was going to do some "magic".

First the gap was filled with some green stuff. This involved resculpting some of the satchel on her frock, the sides of her frock, some skirt and the bag strap.
      =

Then I painted the dress and blocked in some of the colours. 
      Dress: Ultramarien Blue (PB29) + Titanium White
      Frock and shoes: Raw Umber(PBr7), Titanium White and Yellow Ochre(PY43)
      Bag, hedgehogs and hair: Raw Umber .

After a working on and of on her she is mostly finished:

The bag recieved a glaze of Quinacridone Violet (PV19) after it was highlighted with Titanium White + Yellow Ochre +Raw Umber.
      Greens are Ultramarine Blue mixed with different yellows, the minty green is made by Ultramarine Blue and Nickel Titanate Yellow.
      Red is some Red Iron Oxide and Cadmium Red Medium (PR108).
      You may be able to see the eyes and nose of the hedgehogs.
      Perylene Black was used for the metalics.
      I tried to give her some freckles, they look good from the front but I am not sure if I am to happy with one of the side looks. 
      The flower was Nickle Titanate Yellow + Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow (PY139).

Practice With FreeHand
      I did some freehand practice on the Bones 4 milkmaid:

This was achieved by first drawing a square with some diluted Perylene Black and then convering everthing inside and oustide it with thin layers of titanium white.
      The forest was first drawn by just when blending some Prussian Blue, Titanium white and a yellow. The Perylene Black may also have been used.
      The mountain was draw with some Prussian Blue and white, this was grayed with some orangy colour which I can't remember. A lighters glaze was used on the sky. Luckily this blended with the snow covered top of the mountain so I outlined the mountain with the same orange I used to gray the prussian. Then I glazed some Indian Yellow up from the mountain. This created an effect that I really enjoyed (didn't really make vissible green due to the sky being a greyed blue). The top of the dress looked a little empry so I painted a titanium white cloud that had a shadow of the deep grayed prussain at the top and a reflection of the orange at the bottom.

The freehand is the centre piece so I did not want to detract from it with the rest of the paint job.
      To do this I made the dress a desaturated green, but found it to be to empty by itself. 
      To make it pop a little more I drew a patern on it by mixing the dress colour with a lot of Titanium White and then diluting that with some flow improve and lots of water. Then I sketched the lines with the highly translucent mixture. To further highlighty the stripes which were lost in the folds of the dress (bad locaiton choice on the vertical stripes) I decided to make a higher Titanium White mixture that had less water and dot that in each line intercept.
      Now the model is drying (mostly finished) and if the weather permits I will have some nice pictures "Soon". 

Eureka Minatures
      Such characterful miniatures they produce, I will probably spurge for some more on my birthday.

1st Picture: Some duelists. One of them is so secure in his victory he is holding his folded cloak in one hand, or is he hidding something there?
      2nd Picutre: An older lady feeding some chickens, currently missing chickens.
      3rd Picture: has some muscians, I did not take a close up of all of them. They each have their own chairs and sheet music. There are 4 dogs, 2 of them are holding buckets with something in them. 2 chickens, a rooster and 2 chicks
      4th-6th Pictures: musician closeups.
      7th Picture: That lady behind the cow did something so scandalous that the lady further back started chocking, requiring her friend to help. Otherways is just 2 milkmaids, one milking a cow and there is a really curious auroch bull looking at the bucket.
      8th Picture: I am not sure if blowing a seashell horn into the ear of a person is a bright idea, especially if they are dressed like that and holding a scepter staff while you only have a loincloth. The scepter is quiet heavy and a nice weapon, just a warning.

Churning some Butter
      One of the Eureka Miniatures is this boy, he is not that small but still recognisable as a child (goes up to around the shoulder of adult miniatures, so if we take into acount the base of the vampire lord he is only up to underneath his arm.)

The chemise is painted using some glazes of Transparent Red Oxide (PR101) and Burnt Umber over a base coat of Titanium White and Yellow Ochre. Everything but the close and hair has a basecoat of Burnt Umber.
      The shirt is some greyed out (I think I used Transparent Red Oxide in this case) Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White.
      The trouses are Nickle Titanate Yellow, Ultramarine Blue and some Titanium White (they may have been greyed out a little with Transparen Red Oxide). The trim of his trouses is Mars Violet with some Titanium White.

Grumpydot
      Now this old lady is telling us to get off her lawn, so I brightened up her day by splattering her pinkish dress with some dots.

The pink was made out of Cadmium Red Medium and Titanium White. This mixture was further lightened out with Titanium White to make the dots (lots of water with flow aid used to make them nice an easy to paint).

The lady was still grumpy so maybe she did not like those dots? Too late for her then since htey are staying, instead lets give her some stripes. 

Her under-dress was painted a dark green (forgot the mixture, it may have involved some Ivory Black (PBk9) and Green Gold(PY129)) and the stripes were painted using some Nickle Titanate Yellow, Titanium White and the green mixture. To make them stand out more the shadows were glazed with some Perylene Black (I think it was that).
      Some Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White were used to paint the wood,shoes and headscarf.  
      Her hair was painted using Perylene/Ivory Black and Titanium White.

Reaper Speakers

Now this is not the best pictures, the hair looks washed out (it has far deeper shadows than what is seen here). The hair for left and middle is Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre and Titanium white mixtures. The metalics were some Vallejo Liquid Metal "writing rubbed out" Gold. Either old gold or red gold, but sadly my bottle has the name of the colour rubbed out. 

The right lady, had her dress painted by first making a grisalis of Titanium White and Ivory Black, this was then glazed with Pthalo Blue (PB15:3).
      Her yellow decoration where painted using Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow.
      Inner Dress was a mmixture of Prussian Blue and either some Nickle Titanate Yellow or Titanium Buff.
      Hair were washes/glazes of Transparent Red Oxide, Indian Yellow and Burnt Umber.
      The book has some squigles that you can see in real life, but didn't come out in the picture.

The middle lady has a dress of Hanza Yellow Light (PY3) and Pthalo Green (PG 7) which I think is the blue shade. 
      I can't remember her inner dress.

The leftmost lady is painted using OILS, it took her a while to dry, but I just love how using Prussian Blue and then wiping the top came out for her dress. The inner dress is painted with Green Gold. Her scepter handle is some Quinacridone Magenta and white. 

Some of my slowly "Speed" painted Handgunners

I spent about 10-20 minutes on the skin of each figure and then left them bare. Over the course of the last month when I finished doing some painting and had some colour left I would take one of the figure and start blocking in a section of their attire, all sections, but the skin, are highlighted with Colour used+ Titanium White. Overall I would Say that each figure took me about 30-60 minutes of paint time. There are still 2 models left (double of each sculpt). 

1:72 scale Freehand

This guy is about the same hight as the butter churning boy, except he is a lot thinner (somewhat realistic proportions), I allready finished painting him. Sadly I don't have a photo of him right now, so the onnly thing I can show you is that I painted stripes on his throuses. The throuses and cape are Cerulean Blue and Titaniym White, The stripes are heavily diluted Perylene Black. 
    • By planetmut
      “...and I, Colonel Duke Jones, stand on the surface of Mars for all of humankind and in the spirit of exploration that’s taking our species beyond its Earthly bounds. And I’m lighting this cigar to celebrate a successful mission.”

“Haha. Good speech, Duke. You're the first human in 76 years to stand on the surface of another planet. How’s it feel to be further from Earth than any other human being?”

“Pretty good, Pioneer. It’s humbling and really gives a sense of perspective. The air is thin but breathable. Those terraforming guys did a great job. Hey, the camera’s working, right? This is being broadcast back to Earth?”

“Yep, it's all good. There's a delay but they're getting it. Audience figures are even bigger than Kim Kardashian’s state funeral, so well done!”

“How do things look from up there in orbit?”

“We’re all good, just watching you and keeping an eye on your vitals.”

“OK, Pioneer. I’m gonna have another puff on this cigar and—”

“Duke, sorry to break in, but Jim just had an idea. The Earth is directly behind you. Could you turn around so we can get a shot of you looking back at it?”

“Sure thing, Pioneer.”

“How’s this?”

“That's just perfect, Duke. Everything’s A-OK.”

“Good to know, Pioneer. We're still live, right?”

“We certainly are. Jim, you owe me fifty dollars.”
    • By lazarp
      This is one of the heroes from legend of drizzt board game. I gave him simple terrain and a super quick speedpaint. I like how he turned out. Thanks for looking 

• By planetmut
      It had been a difficult and exhausting journey. Zarion Bloodnail, scourge of the Sotha Wastes, defiler of Fruaq Ciliasan, sworn enemy of the Khalolies, had slain innumerable challengers to be here now, at this precise moment, to perform his annual vigil to the one — the only one — who had almost bested him. The blood of the last Llirid who'd stood in his way still dripped from Bloodnail's ancient battleaxe.

Finally he was here, standing at the site of one of his fiercest battles, the sun's weak light barely illuminating his soul-black armour. The skeleton of Utto Nosk, a worthy Cuccerine warrior whom Bloodnail barely bested after hours of shattering combat, lay on the blasted heath. His mighty sword Soulrapier, now rusted and useless, was still where Bloodnail had impaled it in the cursed ground of Verm-Ont once Nosk had finally fallen.

“Once more I stand above you,” Bloodnail said, gazing with some sadness at Nosk's bleached bones while remembering that fight, now decades in the past. “You fought valiantly and died with honour. I have never since encountered a warrior of your skill these past 30 years, and I regret that I never will again. People in this new age are weak and cowering. You, old friend, were of a dying breed, and I fear that I am the last of that breed. Our kind will never be seen again in this world once I am gone.”

Suddenly, a fleeting vision crossed his mind, a vision that filled him with dread as he stood over Nosk's remains.

Beneath his cloven helm, its eyeslits glowing with pale eldritch light, Bloodnail's brow crinkled in thought.

“No. It cannot be,” he murmured, staring into the distance at the mist-shrouded Esternon Mountains. He concentrated, casting his mind back, trying to remember...

“Did I leave the gas on?”

EDIT: No one's spotted the Verm-Ont joke? (the figure is on an unfinished Vermont jigsaw)

• Who's Online   31 Members, 1 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)