Sign in to follow this  
buckyball

Frostgrave at ReaperCon

I'm thinking of a daytime slot. Possibly see if we can get a table, and leave it set up for people to play on? Typical games (2 players, familiar with the rules) only take about 1-2 hours. The more players, the longer it takes. I was thinking that every x hours, a game starts with whoever shows up. Depending on the size of the table/tables, and how much terrain we end up with, we could have two games going at once, or one big multiplayer.

After hours pick up games would have to be at one of the hotels (not everyone is at the same one this year), and we would have to bring all of the terrain there. So I think at the con would be best. Plus it gives us something to do between classes and heckling Ub3r.

• Like 1

Do we know yet if terrain and a table can be set up on Thursday and left setup at the venue through Sunday?

I was still thinking hotel...

I kinda thought there were available tables for open gaming. (But that was the hotel...) I just got a new table cloth that is grey Naugahyde with a random scaley pattern (that could be construed as cobble stones). With enough scattered snow patches, ice patches, frozen ponds to cover up sections of it....I was thinking it could be the underlay for whatever else we could scrounge.

It might be big enough to support two 1 v 1 games simultaneously.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I'm down either way, but if we could get a daytime slot/table, that would probably be better; people could schedule it that way, or be able to use it to fill up downtime between other things.

Would we be playing the campaign version (by which, I mean you gain experience and so on from each game), or would each game be a one off?

I know I'd play a lot differently if the results of this game have no bearing on the next one.

• Like 2

Sounds good to me!

Hmmm... Paint my contest entries, paint a warband, finish my goblin challenge... I'd better get busy!

• Like 2

So far I see 8 possible players.  I'm sitting here at work (in between so mad dashes to deal with a bug I seem to have picked up from the wife, who most likely got it from the kids) with my rulebook, so I guess I draft something up.

I happen to like the crit rules (it's always nice to be able to one-shot something) but I'll let everyone else weigh in on before making anything final.

Scenarios will be terrain specific, but I plan on leaving it up to the players as to whether they want to play a scenario.  I will go by the guide line from the book that each player can only play a given scenario once. 

Wandering monster will be in.

I'm wondering about time limits.  Either an flat 2 hour time limit or x rounds.  Also, do we play that last surviving warband gets all remaining treasure on the board?  Also what are peoples thoughts on "bottle checks"? 

(Bottle check is say a warband decides that they are done for the day and just want to leave the field.  They drop any remaining treasure on the board and retire from the field with all remaining ambulatory models if they pass a check of say 10 or higher).  This helps keep a band from being completely wiped out due to bad luck/positioning.  Or do we go with kill them all unless they make it to edge of the board?  There can be the caveat that a bottle check can only happen at the end of a round when your wizard have been removed from play. 

• Like 1

Currently I don't have a warband, and I can easily get one together (not painted though) if needed from Dark Sword I am sure.

• Like 1

Draft document is here if anyone wants to look at it while I'm writing it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rj_LFE-b9-H24AQ9QK1Lp9XQDqu090yi_zGzGLACgqw/edit?usp=sharing

Literally as you write it.

Yep. Much easier for people to heckle me catch mistakes as it goes.

• Like 1

For a basic warband...?...would:

1 Wizard

1 Apprentice

4 Bow Shooters

4 Board+Sword types

...work?

• Like 1

Hey guys its buckyball. I was reminded recently that gaming space at the convention is very limited. So I really cant promise that there will be a Frostgrave game. Maybe we should just wait and see if there can be a Frostgrave game before we try to plan anything.

buckyball

Wouldn't what Dilvish has suggested below help with getting that sorted out?

I'm thinking of a daytime slot. Possibly see if we can get a table, and leave it set up for people to play on? Typical games (2 players, familiar with the rules) only take about 1-2 hours. The more players, the longer it takes. I was thinking that every x hours, a game starts with whoever shows up. Depending on the size of the table/tables, and how much terrain we end up with, we could have two games going at once, or one big multiplayer.

After hours pick up games would have to be at one of the hotels (not everyone is at the same one this year), and we would have to bring all of the terrain there. So I think at the con would be best. Plus it gives us something to do between classes and heckling Ub3r.