Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So I am currently running my group (we've been playing since the Red Box or 2nd depending on the players and have dabbled through multiple other RP systems over the years) through a mixed campaign of the Lost Mine of Phandelver and Out of the Abyss (Players were contacted to help find the lost Mine and were kidnapped by the red cape-wearing bandits while in town who turned out to be working for the Drow and they end up in the Underdark in Out of the Abyss. They are almost out of the Underdark which should lead them back to resolve the Phandelver mess before they get the summons to return to the Dark).
This is my group's second foray into 5e with our first being a painful run through Hoard of the Dragon Queen (we forced the one guy who has never DMed to DM and got what I expected) and when I read the powers/abilities for most monsters I find them boring/flat. Even elementals and non-humanoid creatures slam, bash, poke, bite once, maybe twice a turn and then sit there. Greater deamons and other powerful beings do pretty much the same with huge hit point numbers. Very few have reactive or AoE abilities, or "meta" abilities that control the battlefield, move the PCs... I've picked up a number of other collections of beasties (Tome of Beasts, Monster Manual Expanded vol I & II, Creature Codex), some of which offer some very cool ideas for fluff, but the abilities still, for the most part, fall under the "I move and then hit you 1 or 2 times. I reskin things all the time and ad-lib a fair bit during my sessions and try to flavour up the descriptions of whatever the creatures/enemies are doing to my poor PCs, but even then, having a tested base makes it easier to go off-script when I know the numbers and math underneath is sound. So far adding additional creature types, often using the old 4th minion rules has helped, but not every encounter should consist of a battalion of foes.
I'm just wondering if I'm missing something...
From the Mid 2000's attempt to revive the D&D Chainmail come this Battered Troll Skeleton which was the biggest mini in the Ahumut's Legion Faction box. He has been sitting unpainted for many years as I have found with many of the minis the D&D produced at the time they where a pain to assemble. In his case the full arm and no peg or post and his skull with a bit of the neck was its own part with a minuscule peg and post that did not fit right and would never be able to support the weight of the head. also with the base you had to hand cut the slot that you would tab him into which is the only time i have ever seen that on a mini base. So finally after adding metal post to his parts and getting him on a base I sat down and painted him.
He is your basic skeleton but I do like the little additions on the mini such as the splint holding the leg together and the leather wrap with a nail holding the arm in place as well as the plate bolted on to the chest. It give the mini a bit more character. After finishing him i wanted to work on basing which is a part of the process i tend to neglect so tryed my had at some mud texture paint and still trying to get decent at using static grass and tufts. think it turned out alright but can always use more practice.
Also interestingly enough he is about the same size as the 77004 Cave Troll. So its like a before and after diet pic
from WizKids' Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures
I stopped at AC Moore today and picked up one of the FolkArt Pickling Washes I didn't have while my wife was shopping for school play costume materials. Nearby I found FolkArt Ultra Dyes and picked up two colors to check out; Purple Rain and Pucker Up (a yellow).
I have enjoyed using the Glass Enamels with the long cure time before and thought these might work similarly. I decided to wash my troll with the Purple Rain to see how it comes out and goes on.
It's fairly thick out of the bottle but I might not have shaken it enough. It was taking forever to dry so I hit it with some Testors Dullcote to speed the process and reduce the shine. It's glossy like inks.
Next, I used Reaper Blood Red to give him the Hellborn look I wanted.
Then I pulled out Reaper Violet Shadow to get his hair, teeth and claws darkened.
I then went back over the boney bits with the FolkArt Ultra Dye. It'll put the glossy touch to the claws and teeth.
I am quite happy with him so far.
Stay tuned and Enjoy!
Traveling Encounters volume 1
Compelling 5th Edition Challenges For CR1 to CR5
This small project is to fund a collection of little encounters that can be dropped into an existing adventure for low level adventurers. I backed his previous project for alternate character backgrounds, and he delivered the PDFs early.
Who's Online 14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)