Custom Paint Triads

Rich711

I bought the 9001-9111 box of Reaper paints a couple years ago and love them but have looked back at the stuff I painted before when I was using GW and notice I used much bolder combos then.  I have gotten so stuck in the mind set of using the Reaper Triads for everything that I never really looked at the 108 paints that I have to see what other triads I could be making to get more out of the paints I already have.  

Does anyone have any custom triads they have made out of the reaper paints that they love?

For example I have a traid of 9029, 9072, & 9006 for painting red hair.  Or 9024, 9274 & 9048 for dark elves.  

Edited by Rich711
  • Like 1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just grab paints and check shade tones. Considering one of my minis has purple for the midtone, orange for the highlight, shaded in dark green, with yellow high highlights.... umm... triads don't really fit. :lol:

I also don't have just the Master Series, but still a lot of the old Pro Paint, as well as Polly S (really old). I just grab what looks like it works. YMMV

• Like 3

I don't get caught up on triads at all or even "flesh" colors for that matter. I use whatever colors I think look good and mix/match however I feel. Most of my skin tones now will have glazes in them that will be completely different from what the triads have to offer. Things like purple, red, green, blue glazed into the shadows and helping with the mood of the figure. 

• Like 3

I was originally going to write a post about how the premade triads are a crutch. They are a good starting point for working on shadows and highlights. But you can never get the intensity and depth some painters acheive.

Then i realized that i have some custom triads they are just much more intense. My big one is Forest Green, Purple, and Punk Rock Pink.

Did a bullette with Walnut Brown, Stone Grey, and Linen White

• Like 1