Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

Oathsworn Female Human Mage

Oh wow! Love that OSL!!!

ETA: yeah blue on walls does need a tad bit of blending, but the rest is supurb!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

"I hate you"

Awesome as always. I'm glad you went light on the blending. It helps me see the steps. OSL just got a little less confusing for me. 

Edited by Ludo
  • Like 1

"I hate you"

Awesome as always. I'm glad you went light on the blending. It helps me see the steps. OSL just got a little less confusing for me.

This times a million.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

I'm glad you went light on the blending. It helps me see the steps. OSL just got a little less confusing for me.

Glad I could help :p
  • Like 1

That looks fantastic - you've done an amazing job! It's inspired me to try being more extreme with my OSL; I've always been nervous of pushing it, but this just looks sooooo good, I need to try it...

• Like 2

That looks fantastic - you've done an amazing job! It's inspired me to try being more extreme with my OSL; I've always been nervous of pushing it, but this just looks sooooo good, I need to try it...

To echo what I said on FB for the folks here...

First off, thanks! It's always so neat to be complimented by the other half of these artistic endeavours, the modern age is fascinating. I remember thinking Tom Meier was some mythical person, never a thought of ever actually getting to communicate with that mysterious artist (though I would still love to meet him!).

As far as my artistic comment, OSL and I have a bit of a long struggle, along with lighting in general. I always want to address the lighting better, since I'm a fan of traditional painting where there is usually a definitive light source and rules followed. It's so much more difficult with minis, because you don't have full control over the scene. Short of a pretty claustrophobic setup like I did with this project.

I had shown my Reaper gravedigger mini at Reapercon, and while it photographed nicely, in person the effect was completely lost. A very popular mini online because kinda meh, often for the same folks who loved it previously. So that project informed this one on several levels.

Light - Folks gave some feedback that the gravedigger's OSL was too weak. I figured him under strong moonlight, so it wouldn't be as drastic. But whatever reality would be, the fact is people just like seeing stronger effects. So I intentionally went way overboard, which led to...

Setting - I decided I needed to put her into a setting for people. Both to give a dark backdrop for people to view in person and also to set a reason for everything being so dark. "Oh, I get it, she's in a dark dungeon." Also wanted to try sculpting a stone wall for future reasons.

Ambient light - Another super important, tough and often not addressed factor in OSL, the not-OSL light source. A daytime sun with leech most OSL highlights (though you can get some great effects in the sun's shadows!). So it's really tough to do good OSL with a traditionally painted mini, mostly because you end up with 'paintball splat' where due to the relatively high values across the mini, the cast light looks like a paint splat rather than cast light. I was lucky enough to walk the Reapercon display hall with Victoria Lamb and she gave me some great examples of good and bad OSL and a discourse on why each worked or did not.

So for this project, determining the ambient light source, and how to paint the mini in general pre-OSL, was wicked tough. When I began I hadn't really thought about the setting much, but I wanted a dark and desaturated mini, Now...in a dark dungeon, she would've been almost black in the unlit regions and really I could've extended the lighting effect much further because of the lack of sunlight's interference. So it's not perfect.

But I think it's pretty cool for all the flaws, and was both fun and informative. The best projects work out that way!

Here's a side-by-side comparison with the 2013 Gravedigger project (lamp OSL is the same palette!):

Gravedigger_1b.JPGF_Human_Mage_1.jpg

• Like 5

I'll echo what others said in that this is inspirational (in terms of trying out OSL, etc.)  For me, that's still a ways down the road as I am just beginning, but you show the most important part here, which is merely taking the leap.  We can all fret and wait until we know we can do it perfectly . . . in which case we'll never do it, or we can just get started and work on improving.

Now saying that, I personally do not see any problems here at all.  I think it looks amazing.  And then of course, the evil gnome in my head says "Hey, what if he extended the wall a little into a corridor and added a torch on a sconce?"  :P 

By the way, I really like the wall.  You really hit the medieval feel of the rocks in the wall with the shapes and varying sizes.  Don't know that I would do that myself (mainly because I don't foresee myself doing dioramas or display pieces) but it does give me ideas for bases in the future, etc. 

Thanks for sharing both the WIP and the final product!

• Like 1

When I first met Jessica Rich and laid out my current work, she complimented me on taking risks, "trying a lot of techniques that intimidate professionals". I told her (truthfully) that I didn't know enough to know any better. To me then (and now, really) every technique is intimidating, so it's all a matter of degree.

But yeah, go for it. The only way to improve is to practice, and a lot of my projects are practice for other things. I've been thinking a lot about a KD diorama I have planned, but it needs a ton of skills I need to work on. From this project: the dark ambient lighting, vibrant OSL and sculpted rock wall are all aimed at improving my skill so I can make a better project later.

And I did plan on doing an archway, but I tend to over-complicate things and then never finish them, so I intentionally kept it minimally simple, enoubh to show the two light sources and backdrop the mini in darkness.

• Like 3

You did an awesome job with her, and she is just such a fun exploration of OSL!!!  One of my favorite movies of all time is Solomon Kane, and one of the things I love aesthetically about that movie is the blue and orange that they use so frequently for their lighting.  You nailed that sweet complimentary color light clash!

I had been showing one of my friends (who is a miniature painting rookie) what OSL is, and he didn't like what I was showing him (which was actually done by some big-name pros!) until I showed him your rendition of this mini!  He loved it!

I can't wait to see your next mini too!!!  ::):

• Like 4