Rickdraco

And now I too pick up the gauntlet. Kaladrax Reborn, 7 days challenge!

:bday:  :bday:  :bday:  :bday:  :bday:

Woooo, I'm super excited! I will be following along with interest! ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

:bday:  :bday:  :bday:  :bday:  :bday:

Woooo, I'm super excited! I will be following along with interest! ^_^

Huzzah!

I'm hyper excited myself to start it too, but I must wait til tuesday so I can get a full day of painting in at the start!

• Like 5

Yay, another one! (Beware the never ending vertebrae...)

Best of luck to you! I can't wait to see what colors you use!

• Like 5

Heh. Having read a number of the threads of other people doing this same challenge I plan to get the tail done as early as possible so that it does not get me bogged down!

• Like 8

Watch out for the wings, they are astonishingly annoying to deal with as well. I personally put them a close second to the tail, since they're so spindly and long and awkwardly shaped. At least with the tail you can mash the brush around and get pretty good coverage, but because the wingbones are roundish and bendy, that method isn't as successful there. :)

Huzzah!

• Like 6

Watch out for the wings, they are astonishingly annoying to deal with as well. I personally put them a close second to the tail, since they're so spindly and long and awkwardly shaped. At least with the tail you can mash the brush around and get pretty good coverage, but because the wingbones are roundish and bendy, that method isn't as successful there. :)

Huzzah!

OK! Thank you for the warning! After undercoating now I have something of a plan on how best to proceed! Tail, wings, legs and body, head then the base last!

• Like 5

The madness. THE MADNESS! :wow:

Enjoy!

I know we will.

OK! Thank you for the warning! After undercoating now I have something of a plan on how best to proceed! Tail, wings, legs and body, head then the base last!

Darn it! He's planning. That's just ruining the fun.

Well my fun. Not yours.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/
      All the information you need should be here.

As usual, the new format holds a "hard mode" challenge!

July and August 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      Independence Day! Both Canada and the US celebrate their independence days in July. Keeping it clean - paint a mini that resembles the most absurd stereotype of the country, whether it's a lumberjack riding a moose with a jug of maple syrup, or a fat dude in a scooter with the american flag and a big mac.  Or something from the film Independence Day, that works too.

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      August 22nd is National Spumoni day. 3-layered Gelato dish. Paint any mini in a themed pallet around your choice image of said dish.

Hard Mode Challenge! Eruption
      Also in August is the fabled eruption of Pompeii. A full-size diorama is a but much to ask - but instead theme a mini around trying to escape the eruption (lava flows, flying chunks of rock, etc) particularly utilizing the OSL and an ashen look.

As always, the game is made up and the points don't matter!
    • By TGP
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84371-2019-rpchallenge-questionsannouncements/

As usual, the new format includes "hard mode" challenge options!

May and June 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The 1st!
      Paint a mini themed around ...The Frozen North!  (Yup, Winter in a Summer month. In honor of:  James Clark Ross, the first European to reach the North Magnetic Pole, June 1st 1831.) Polar Bears, Frostgravers, Seals, Yetis, US Navy SEALS in winter kit, Snow Apes, Winter Foxes, Dire Penguins, Snow Leopards, Tiger Tanks in winter Camo, White Tigers, Frost Giants, Winter Terrain ...are all good. 

Bonus Challenge: The 2nd!
      Join the Painting Binge next weekend. Hard Mode: knock out the basic 8 during the Binge. Details: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86220-memorial-day-paint-binge-challenge-2019/

Bonus Challenge: The 3rd!
      The third time pays for all. If there was a Bonus Theme from earlier this year that you wanted to do but missed; go back, find it, and give it a go! Post the theme Rules with the link please.

Bonus Challenge: The 4th!
      The Fourth was with us earlier in May. Paint up some sort of mini as a Stars Wars character, background extra, droid, or spacecraft. Harder mode: Do some conversion work on the model first. (Add a light saber, swap a sword to a blaster, cobble together a ship from random objects Froggcident-style...)

• By Echoside_
      I, Echoside, will be undergoing this awesome challenge as my Dragon and paints have arrived from Denton.  

I have chosen the victim of Kyphrixis, The Copper Dragon for this 3-star challenge.  Will be using green and red liner to prime.

My rolls:

So after his bath, it was picture time!

I think he will end up being a Strawberry Dragon! 
      First off, I sorry for the Cut/Paste first post, but it was fitting.

Secondly, Kai (the moniker I've given to him) got himself primed up and ready for more layers while out at a miniature painting event at a local gaming store.  Such a splendid way to start the challenge. 

I bathed the base unit in Sepia Liner, as I don't believe the base was to be done strictly in the color scheme of the dragons.  Kai himself was bathed in the Red liner, which is very purple if you ask my eyes.   The wing membranes were done in the Green Liner.  I'm hoping for some interesting undershading effects once the 3 primary colors start to roll on.  

I've blocked out in my head what scales are going to be which shades and such, I'm just hoping I have the skills to bring whats in my head out on the dragon himself.  But without further ado, picture time!

• By NomadZeke
      Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.

As usual, the new format holds a "hard mode" challenge!

March and April 2019 Challenge

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      March 8th is the birthday of Ralph H. Baer, often called the "father of video games." To tribute these early games - paint a character to resemble an early video game character (Think 16-bit era or sooner) the more obscure, the better!
      Addendum: It doesn't have to ONLY exist in that era. It doesn't matter if it's the only incarnation of it like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure or Power Pete, or originated but is on 5183 of the series (looking at you, Final Fantasy.) but the spirit is to that era.

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      Bringing back the classic for April, the "Fools' Brigade!" Paint a mini in a patently absurd scheme! CAV with a bullseye on it...elf with an "I'm organic" tabbard, etc. The more outlandish the better!

Hard Mode Challenge! Ides Of March
      Famously known as the date when Julies Caesar was assassinated, March 15. Make a small diorama (or large, whichever) of such an assassination about to, or having recently happened. Characters and environment. This will be counted as # of miniatures + 2 base and scenery.)

• By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)