And now I too pick up the gauntlet. Kaladrax Reborn, 7 days challenge!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day, and some more progress to show, as I have begun to work on the stonework for the base!  I am trying to give the impression of green marble or malachite for the large blocks.

post-14997-0-80775100-1470928930_thumb.jpg

It's a start, but I have a long way to go.  I have also picked out the brickwork in chaotic red, and the skulls in brown for the time being.. hopefully I have not missed any!! 

• Like 13

Looking great!  Mind sharing what color(s)/processes you used for the stonework (when you have time of course)?  I ask because the evil gnome in my brain keeps wanting me to do the "face" on the base as a jade-like statue but not really sure how to achieve that look (so I've got a backup plan if I can't figure it out).  :P

• Like 3

Ok, time for another update with pictures, of what I have done today!  Much of the ruined stone I have done in greens, to be like Jade or Marble, including the face. The colours I used for this are Docraft Artiste Acrylics, Forest Green and Spring green, as well as a mixture of the two, painted in streaks to attempt to get a marbled effect.    The Brickwork pillar is only base coated at the moment, with Army Painter Chaotic Red, over an undercoat of the Forest Green.   On some of the stonework, and the crown I have picked out details with Army Painter Weapon Bronze, and the rest of the stones have been basecoated with grey, to which I have added a bit of white to highlight by drybrushing.  Pregress is looking good, I think I will have time to attempt to put OSL effect on the base from the dragon!  

post-14997-0-53627200-1470944486_thumb.jpg

post-14997-0-32411700-1470944488_thumb.jpg

post-14997-0-23092100-1470944490_thumb.jpg

post-14997-0-86861500-1470944491_thumb.jpg

I apologise for the darkness of the photos,  when I can I will try to get some better lighted pictures.

• Like 14

Wow, I LOVE the malachite stonework you've got going on there! :wub:

To make your pictures brighter, try turning off your computer monitor before snapping pics; I paint at my computer desk too, and I've found that when I have my monitor on in the background, it makes my pictures too dark since the camera is trying to compensate for the additional light. ^_^

Keep it up, you're doing great! :bday:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you probably missed a skull.  :upside:  Did you get the one tucked under the statue's chin? How about the one perched behind the crown? (Those are both ones that I missed, lol)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

Wow, I LOVE the malachite stonework you've got going on there! :wub:

To make your pictures brighter, try turning off your computer monitor before snapping pics; I paint at my computer desk too, and I've found that when I have my monitor on in the background, it makes my pictures too dark since the camera is trying to compensate for the additional light. ^_^

Keep it up, you're doing great! :bday:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you probably missed a skull.  :upside:  Did you get the one tucked under the statue's chin? How about the one perched behind the crown? (Those are both ones that I missed, lol)

Huzzah!

:) You like it?  Awesome!  As to the skulls, I got both of those ones, the three to the left of the face, the one at the top, tucked between the two blocks, and the two on the opposite side of the base, at the bottom!

• Like 7

I counted very carefully when I was painting skulls. There are ten skulls. If you have painted less than ten skulls, you missed one. ^^;

Malachite is one of my favorite stones; I love the banding and the patterns and the... well. Let's just go with I love it. I can't quite tell because of the light, but it looks like your striping is rather more regular than malachite or marble usually is. If you don't have some reference photos, I highly recommend finding some; they help so much with stuff like that.

Lighting is fun - I have found that if I redirect my working light upward (diffuse, rather than direct) the light from the monitors doesn't confuse my poor phone camera as much. Suspect there are people who can give you far better advice on taking good pictures, though.

All of that out of the way; holy pants, I'm impressed! I like the gold edging, and I'm really eager to see where this is going.

• Like 7

As Sylver says, there's a grand total of 10. :) There's also a skull right by the treasure pile, and the last one is on the far right of the base when the statue is facing you, down near the base of the stone column. ^_^ If you got those two as well, then you've got all 10!

Huzzah!

• Like 4

As Sylver says, there's a grand total of 10. :) There's also a skull right by the treasure pile, and the last one is on the far right of the base when the statue is facing you, down near the base of the stone column. ^_^ If you got those two as well, then you've got all 10!

Huzzah!

I had in fact missed one, on the other side if the base, where there is a skull on both sides of a stone block! Got it now after half an hour of hunting for the cursed thing though!

• Like 9