This is a post for everyone to share the tables they play their games on, the more the merrier.

Sci-fi, fantasy, modern, post apoc, horror....anything!

This was the table I laid out last night for our games of infinity.  Sadly I did not get to play a game as we got a bit of a late start and after the first game of the night the others decided it was getting a bit late to start a second game.

I will get a chance to play on it as we have decided to do a little bit of an experiment and leave this table up for a couple of weeks to play all of our games of infinity on.  We are trying to see if by leaving the terrain mostly static and probably keeping the same general list, if we will get a better grasp of how to play our own list no matter what the enemy brings.  By doing this I also hope to see if there are any major flaws in my terrain layout technique/style.

I DO NOT go for fair layouts when I set up a board, I go for more of a realistic look and feel.  This board has quite a few long fire lanes, which could be a bad thing BUT it also has quite a few tightly packed areas where the fire fights would definitely be short ranged.

The mission I chose to play on this particular night was rescue. There are eight civilians on the table, four of which you need to rescue by getting into base to base contact with them and synchronizing yourself with them, of course the four farthest from your deployment zone are the ones you must sync with.  The player with the most synced civies wins, although if you can get your civies back to your deployment zone you can get even more points.  This is a tough mission.

Anyway, pics!

20160806_131942_zpseoec6lgb.jpg

20160806_131952_zpstfwydnfv.jpg

20160806_132003_zpsonjbwpld.jpg

20160806_132015_zpsuwl6jp0j.jpg

As you can see my terrain is not more than primed so don't worry about terrain not being painted or not being well painted.

I just want to see what types of terrain and game boards people set up to play games on.

• Like 14

Whats the dimensions of your playing area in these pics Chris?

I love the rat statue btw, I kept forgetting to tell you that.

And I just realized something that I am missing on my tables that I have seen on a few different Frostgrave tables now, walkways.  We used them all the time in Necromunda and Mordheim, why not Frostgrave too!?!?!

• Like 2

@Chaoshead - great idea, I'll post some pics up of the tables I play on when I get the chance. One thing I'll say about your table set up for infinity is that your current configuration will favor all of your long range shooters. People will wonder what's the point of chain/shotguns. The amount of scatter looks about right but interrupt most of the super long ranges. Hope you enjoy the games!

Loth

Well...we started out with the best of intentions with a 6' hexagonal table & enough GeoHexes to cover it:

...before the water effect:

IMG_2535.jpg

...AND after:

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

The photos are from six or so years ago. The gaming never happened, & now the table is storage space for all my scenery boards...well most of my scenery boards. It did look promising for awhile though.

• Like 8

@malefactus  --  Hex is an interesting shape for a gaming table, I don't know that I have ever seen that before.  Too bad that you never got to play on it.  Nice water effects on that, is it just that crack stop compound in the pic?

@Loth  --  While there are two long fire lanes on the board there are plenty of areas that have 16" or less LoF and plenty of ways around the long fire lanes as well.  I have often heard people complain about the over effectiveness of the long range weaponry in infinity and I can easily see where it comes from but with the amount of terrain I usually throw on the table we really have not found it too be a problem....with the exception of a few odd boards here and there.

I will see if I can't find more pics of my table to add.

Nice pics guys, keep 'em coming!

• Like 5

Here are a few pics from when I still had the first table I ever built.  The only reason I replaced it was it was literally starting to fall apart, it was chip board.  We play a lot of infinity so a lot of my pics will probably be sci-fi games but I don't want people to think that is all I want to see here.

This table suffered from a lot of too long fire lanes iirc.

20150522_144407_zpsv6pelrm9.jpg

20150522_144420_zps1npwgn5t.jpg

20150522_144439_zpsgmwrmqzn.jpg

20150522_144451_zpsigjw7ny0.jpg

• Like 7

Whats the dimensions of your playing area in these pics Chris?

I love the rat statue btw, I kept forgetting to tell you that.

And I just realized something that I am missing on my tables that I have seen on a few different Frostgrave tables now, walkways.  We used them all the time in Necromunda and Mordheim, why not Frostgrave too!?!?!

Chaoshead- The table is four Walmart folding 2.5' x 6' tables arranged in a 12' x 5' set-up.  On those tables I have put a 12'x6' cloth which I folded in half to make a 12' x 3' playing surface with a foot of bare table on each side for player's paperwork and refreshments.

Thanks for the compliment on the rat statue! It is from Dollar Tree. It was part of the Halloween decoration line, and is supposed to be a motion sensor decoration that used to squeak when you got near it; but the battery died almost overnight.  As Halloween is approaching you will probably be able to find them again soon if you have a local store.

Walkways are great for Frostgrave and really add a fun element to the game.  Invariably, a treasure is always placed on them and either some wizard uses Telekinesis to get it off, or send some poor fool, who becomes a missile magnet, to go fetch it.  In our last game it was great fun when our resident Necromancer sent his zombie up there to get the treasure, and then had the zombie jump off the edge with the treasure.  The zombie died immediately from the fall, and the Necromancer was able to send a flunky to go grab the treasure. :)

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

@malefactus  --  Hex is an interesting shape for a gaming table, I don't know that I have ever seen that before.  Too bad that you never got to play on it.  Nice water effects on that, is it just that crack stop compound in the pic?

Cap'n John came up with the shape to accommodate the Geo Hex terrain pieces. I liked having six possible sides to enter the board.

The Crack Stop was meant to be the water texture, but Home Depot & Lowe's dropped it from their stocked items...I can't remember what I used in its place.

• Like 2

Here is a table I posted a while back for Flames of War, a 15mm Company Level WWII game....

I tend to build cluttered tables without long lines of sight, but I am looking more toward the natural 'flow' of the terrain, how the trees follow the hills and water obstacles etc, then add in the man made objects afterwards...

Late July, 1944....

A small village in France, somewhere near Mortain....

008.jpg005.jpg002.jpg012.jpg011.jpg010.jpg009.jpg

This is a 6' x 4' table that I put together in about 45 minutes.

All of the buildings come apart to allow troops to be placed in them, even the cathedral steeple! (a favorite place to put an artillery spotter!) The smaller buildings are from Battlefront Miniatures, makers of Flames of War, The Larger are from Sentinal, a commission mini painter who has expanded into resin terrain pieces of different types. The Machine gun nest in my flock & turf tutorial are from him.

The trees are from Woodland Scenics, based on large metal washers, the grave yard is scratch built using tomb stones from Scenic Express.

I forget who I got the roads from...

The hills and stone walls are scratch built.

The fields are welcome mats cut up....

8)

George

And you wondered why I joined house Tabletop..... :lol:

Will put troops on tomorrow....

Troops never did get put in....

I was very surprised at how open the tables were at the Late War US Nationals at Historicon when I was there in 2013....

There are more table set ups pictured in the House Tabletop Gameroom Thread as well

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

@Chris Palmer  --  You do like the LARGE tables, don't you?!?!  Awesome stuff sir.  I would love to play on that pirate game table.

@knarthex  --  I like the table you have there.  I assume that you do a lot of historicals?  I have always been a very little bit intrigued by them but I already have enough different games to spend money on without adding more.  House table top is probably the frat I will pledge as well.

@Loth  --  still waiting to see yours buddy!   :;):

@malefactus  --  Do you ever play on your amazing scenery?

I am liking where this thread is headed, I would love to see more from everyone and anyone.

image.jpg3_zpsuz3j54kw.jpg

This is the table that my brother and I ran Ringbearer on at Gencon. It's a bit stylized, since it represents the entire War of the Ring on one table. So the near tower is Barad-dur, the bridge is the ruins of Osgiliath, and the next tower is Minas Tirith, with Helm's Deep, Orthanc and so forth beyond. He's had a yen to run these 1975 rules since he restarted into the hobby a couple of years ago.

• Like 10