Sign in to follow this  
Salem

Favourite Battle Terrain?

Hi All,

I just pledged the CAV:SO kickstarter and am really looking forward to getting into this game.  I am curious what everyone typically uses for terrain.  I have seen photos of the game in action and it is typically a wilderness type region.  Does anyone play in an urban environment?  I have seen a really nice cardstock terrain set from Hawk Wargames for thier 10mm Dropzone Commander which looks like it could make for a really cool urban warzone in CAV.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  While I am eagerly awaiting my pledge (I will be getting the Basic Training set as well), I thought I would begin looking at ideas for terrain, specifically objective buildings like hangers, airstrips, factories and power stations, etc.

I have also been looking at a cardstock terrain set from worldworks games.  They have some urban sets that are pdf, print and assemble yourself that are for 25-38mm figures, but since you print them yourself, you could easily print them at a reduced size to scale them for 10mm....

All of the best boards I've ever seen have incorporated urban elements, but I've only ever played with hills/forests/water as it's usable across all games. I started building a variety of industrial structures way back but they've been stuck in WIP Purgatory for years now. They were all built out of empty bottles and containers and worked pretty well. Electrical boxes also make great sci-fi buildings with a little work; someone recently posted a few somewhere around here.

There are two points I would keep in mind on a predominantly urban board:

1) Roads are everywhere, meaning Wheeled units become extremely fast. Consider limiting this with sections of ruined street, rubble piles, and so on.

2) Mind the overall building density. Broadly speaking CAV plays best with reasonable amounts of cover available, but you don't want so much that someone can abuse a task force with heavy fire support.

• Like 1

I'll second what Vil-hatarn said about terrain density.  If you make a realistically dense urban board, get ready for a long game.  I'm attaching pics of one of my urban boards to give you some idea, but long story short: this game did *not* get finished.  

This is raw guesswork,but if you want to play in a dense urban setting, there are a few things which might help: 

1. Keep units light and fast. That big Godzilla CAV marching down Main street will be a slow, clumsy road block in my experience.  Like, sure you can spearhead with a Rhino or Ogre, but this isn't Gundam:  tanks can take down walkers, and if you march your big huge stompy super heavy into the waiting guns of, say, two heavy MAC tanks and their supporting PBG CAV buddy, you're just constipating your own line of ingress. 
  2. Consider cheating on the building rules so that they're easier to raze to rubble, which does not block line-of-sight. 
  3. Use units which move easily through cities, like infantry and wheeled vehicles, AND which don't block line-of-sight for the taller units behind them. 

As for density guidelines, I've heard rules like "cover one quarter of your board" before, but that's a rule of thumb at best.  On a 6' x 4' table, 72 square inches of LOS-blocking buildings plays way, way differently than 72 square inches of merely to-hit-penalizing light woods. 

The two things I try to remember when building a board:  variety is the spice of life (or in this case, a fiery explosive death), and at no point should anyone's models ever feel truly safe.  

Here's an urban board - it looked pretty good, but was way too dense, especially since we were just sort of learning the rules at that time. The buildings are made from electrical boxes, the roads are polystyrene sheet, the model cars are N-scale railroad supplies.  Trees are Woodland Scenics.  Hills are sheet insulation, painted and flocked. 

Wide%20City.jpg

Here's a more natural board - it's still pretty dense, but only the hills and the few buildings on-board actually block LOS.  

Battle%20at%20the%20Water%20Testing%20St

• Like 5

Very cool terrain!  The set that I saw was this one (link below).  My FLGS has it for about $60 (Canadian).  The buildings come flat and you just have to unfold them and glue the roof on.  Certainly not as nice as your terrain but quick and easy to get going.  From the looks of it, this cardstock urban area is not quite as dense.  The set shown is supposed to be able to cover a 6x4' table.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/products/Buildings_website2_7c1b6206-da33-462c-b5bd-dc2580fccb20_1024x1024.jpg?v=1417424639

• Like 1

Very cool terrain!  The set that I saw was this one (link below).  My FLGS has it for about $60 (Canadian).  The buildings come flat and you just have to unfold them and glue the roof on.  Certainly not as nice as your terrain but quick and easy to get going.  From the looks of it, this cardstock urban area is not quite as dense.  The set shown is supposed to be able to cover a 6x4' table.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/products/Buildings_website2_7c1b6206-da33-462c-b5bd-dc2580fccb20_1024x1024.jpg?v=1417424639

Yeah, that looks just about right to me--good balance of open firing lanes and cover, should encourage a lot of movement.

Lately it has tended to be about a 50% urban 50% plains or field on my table.  You know, the one or two times a year I might actually get a game in.  This may or may not be influenced by the fact that I can cut my my own buildings now.

• Like 2

I'm sort of leaning towards the Worldworks scenery.  I can download a few pdfs for $15-25 and then print what I need.  They have a couple of sets of urban buildings that are quick to assemble and will actually fold flat for storage (which is an added space bonus for me).  They also have a roads set that you can print in sections and has a clean/dirty/destroyed set as well.

• Like 1

You know hawk wargames, the company that makes the dropzone commander terrain you linked, has several of the buildings from that set free to download and print yourself if you want to give papercraft buildings a shot. The worldworks site has been pretty dead for years now, last I checked the link to their forum on their site was even dead....

Edited by sirikus