• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Augh!

Yet another newbie that's better than me!

;-)

I've been told that getting the eyes right comes with practice.

Something about it's not the size of the brush that matters, but how fine the point is, and how much paint is in it, and all that malarkey.

Are you thinning your paints?

Some of us uses headband mounted magnifiers, such as the Donegan Optivisor when painting.

• Like 6

Welcome to the insanity forum.

You will find that the people and creatures here are all very helpful and somewhat silly maybe..

Enjoy your stay and show your work.

I like the ones you posted now.

As fo now, browse this section and you'll find lots of helpful topics.

And don't be afraid to ask.

Also check out people's WIP threads ( Work In Progress) you can learn a lot from that and have fun.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/forum/3-painting-tips-advice/

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum!  Those are some great first minis.

To give you inspiration and hope, be sure to check out this thread where experienced folks have posted pictures of their first minis they painted and their most recent work.  It really shows that everyone started out as a beginner at some point.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70130-hobby-report-first-and-best-so-far-groupopen/

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum! Those are some great first minis.

To give you inspiration and hope, be sure to check out this thread where experienced folks have posted pictures of their first minis they painted and their most recent work. It really shows that everyone started out as a beginner at some point.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70130-hobby-report-first-and-best-so-far-groupopen/

What Chris said.

You've got skill, as evidenced by the brush control shown in your first minis. You have the advantage of starting with the learn to paint kit. The refinement of those techniques comes with practice. New techniques come by reading others' posts and WIPs, that you then go try by experimentation.

We were all beginners once. You're doing fine. Keep at it and have fun!

• Like 3

Looks like you're off to a great start!  You've blocked the colors well and I don't see any spots where you missed coverage.  Looks like you gave them a wash, which is a great place to start learning shading as you develop brush control for different types of blending later on.  As far as the eyes go, they take practice.  Using a size 0 brush I can give two pieces of advice: don't load too much paint on the brush and make sure your brush is keeping a fine point at the tip.  Or you can do what I do, paint mecha, spacecraft, and figures with helmets more than anything else.

Another thing you can do to give the figures that "finished" look is to paint the edge of the bases.  Opinions will vary on style, but I prefer to paint the edge black.

• Like 3

Hey, welcome!! I'm still new to the boards but you won't find a nicer group of artists anywhere.

You're off to a great start with what you showed here. I really like the one with the blue shield - It looks excellent.

Explore the forums and feel free to ask questions. There's a HUGE number of resources on the Painting Tips subforum, I've found them incredibly helpful.

xo Tay

• Like 3

Great start! Welcome to the forum.

Eyes are tough and there's no way around it. You'll paint many many terrible eyes. I paint terrible eyes. Everyone does.

1. It's not the size of the brush, it's the tip. Some large brushes have very sharp tips and can do eyes just fine.

2. Don't be afraid to try it a few times. It's very rare to paint an eye properly the first time. Or the second. Get used to it, and don't stress about it. Knowing you'll probably repaint it many times lowers the stress of having to repaint it many times :) I think my personal 'best' is 20 tries before giving up.

3. Paint the socket. Use the shadow color for the skin to fill in the eye socket. If you need to repaint the eye, you can just 'erase' the bad one by covering it with that shadow tone again. If you get an acceptable eye, you can clean up the outer edges with that shadow tone. Some people use black to black line eyes, but I find that too harsh.

4. Paint the tough one first. Sometimes there's an eye under some hair or helmet or just in an awkward position. Paint that one first, and it will dictate what you can do with the 'easy' eye (usually the direction of the pupil).

5. Direction. An easy out is to have a mini looking off to the side, so you don't have to worry about making them match or getting the right amount of sclera (the white part) on either side of the pupil.

6. Don't sweat it! Accept it's a journey, do your best and learn from it. You'll get better if you want to, but it takes a lot of time, practice and study.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

• Like 9

The hobby is fun as heck but still having trouble with a lot of it all, like no brush is small enough for eyes. I don't understand how people do the eyes with size 0 brushes. But I hope that with practice and your all's help I can be even a fraction as good as you all are.

Welcome to the boards.

First, let me say that your first efforts are very creditable. You have good brush control, especially for a beginner, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting better if you put in the effort.

On eyes:

• Get a good brush. If you were a woodworker, I wouldn't recommend that you get your primary tools from the discount bins at Harbor Freight, since you're a painter, I wouldn't recommend that you get the only painting tool you really need from the cheap brush section of your local craft store. Dick Blick sells premium Kolinsky sable brushes in the sizes we use for around $16US today (significantly cheaper some other days). You need one size 0, 1, or 2. (#1 is a good start.) Raphael Series 8404, da Vinci Series 10, or Winsor & Newton Series 7 are all excellent (there are other choices as well). Don't go for "pretty good"; it's a single tool and it's eminently worth it. With basic care, it will typically last for years.
  • I prefer to paint eyes from the inside out. First the pupil (but you can skip this if the iris is dark), then the iris, then the sclera (only in the corners of the eyes, look at yourself in the mirror, and not true white -- use a light skin color), then the shadow around the eyes. This allows you to slide in rather than try to make a precise dot, which I find much easier.
  • Paint the eye you have the most trouble with first (for right-handed painters, this is usually the left eye), then paint the easier eye to match.

I hope that helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing your future work.

• Like 6

Augh!

Yet another newbie that's better than me!

;-)

I've been told that getting the eyes right comes with practice.

Something about it's not the size of the brush that matters, but how fine the point is, and how much paint is in it, and all that malarkey.

Are you thinning your paints?

Some of us uses headband mounted magnifiers, such as the Donegan Optivisor when painting.

I'm mostly using Reaper Paints which the LTPK said you dont really have to thin and I'm afraid thinning the paint would cause me to lose control of the paint as silly as that sounds. I do thin the paint for washes and i'm experimenting with a non-mini acrylic from Target but its basically sludge so I'm diluting it with a ton of water.

And those magnifiers look great but for now I'm sadly on a budget. Hopefully one day (because my eyes are poop).

Looks like you're off to a great start!  You've blocked the colors well and I don't see any spots where you missed coverage.  Looks like you gave them a wash, which is a great place to start learning shading as you develop brush control for different types of blending later on.  As far as the eyes go, they take practice.  Using a size 0 brush I can give two pieces of advice: don't load too much paint on the brush and make sure your brush is keeping a fine point at the tip.  Or you can do what I do, paint mecha, spacecraft, and figures with helmets more than anything else.

Another thing you can do to give the figures that "finished" look is to paint the edge of the bases.  Opinions will vary on style, but I prefer to paint the edge black.

Thanks! I've also been watching a bunch of YouTube videos since I painted the first two. Not sure what other blending techniques there are but I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on the forums for the foreseeable future. Also Tiviel's bases edges were painted but i didn't brush her and her paint has been scraping off like mad so I'm trying not to handle her too much =(.

Thanks a lot to all of you for the kind words. I hope to be around for a while and learn all I can from you all! 

• Like 6

enkor, I totally get what you're saying about thinning paints and losing control. It takes practice, trial and error, and experience to know how and when to thin paints. At least, that's how it works for me.

Experiment. Practice. Ask questions. Allow yourself to take risks and make mistakes - as long as you learn from them!

xo Tay

• Like 3