Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Harwood Hobbies cultists - Frostgrave Sigilist warband WIP

So I received my Harwood Hobbies cultists miniatures.

I decided to try and make a warband out of them:[spoiler photo to come]
Mr Karswell: Sigilist
Ritual Leader: Apprentice
3 axe cultists+ executioner=melee/thugs
the enforcer (w/ machinegun)= ranged
I have a few more slots, so I'll need to see what other cultist minis I have, and whether they fit. Maybe I'll add Bones 3 cultists, or my Crooked Dice cultists

Cultists-300x295.jpg

I suppose I may choose some other school than sigilist, it's just that with the spellbooks, they LOOK like sigilists.

I wish summoning weren't an opposed school, however.

And also, just in case, I'll be doing a 2 priest setup as well, they make more sense as sigiists (also with books) leaving the cultists as a summoner warband. 

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 9

So I finished some prep work- filing and drilling holes in feet. It was weird the minis were all different.

Karswell had a tab, some had small integral bases (one that I had to chop and drill because I couldn't level it) and others that need pinning. I'll fill the bases with some happy seppuku parquet and properly pin and prime.

• Like 1

So trying to find something to temporarily attach my minis to means no painting yet. Hope to prime today though.

I did get stuff done on the bases. Behind the spoiler - liner'd herringbone bases, the priest and apprentice, I discovered the accents work with hot glue- one garbage can for my terrain thread later, and the washed cultists.

post-12970-0-49504700-1471094085_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-84514400-1471094249_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-97215400-1471094364_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-91492200-1471094386_thumb.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 6

Actually, that cultists photo is unwrapped, not prepped. They were pretty clean casts and only needed a bit of bending and filing mold lines under the robes, except for the guy with the connecting piece between his axe and leg. I'm going to prime karswell today, not sure about the others.

Bases looking good!

I've drybrushed them a bunch and washed them with a brown tint. Look better.

I also primed karswell in greyscale, but my phone died so no pics.

I experimented with mixing my primers, so I know pretty well how they work now. It was fun to learn how easy it would be to do the start of a paint job  similar to the deadlands noir ones. I'll try that again sometime.

• Like 1

Base coat on karswell.
I want the red vest to match the cultists' robes.
Not sure about the hair and there's a tie that I'll do later in black
Pretty happy about this so far, just this base coat goes among my better paint jobs :unsure:
Blacks are corporea black (sapphire blue: walnut brown 3:1) though the shoes will be shiny, I hope.Shadows in black, and highlights in a dark grey I have.

Originally pants were going to be pinstriped, but.. that seems like too much work for now, so probably just grey.

You can ignore the following pic - there are better ones in the next post. I guess the camera wanted to focus on the pattern more than the mini

post-12970-0-70548800-1471282277_thumb.jpg

I'm also definitely feeling that this guy is more a summoner, even with books... also a reason for the red vest, to add some more color.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2

Looking good so far Lex!  I'm glad they made it to you safety and in record time!  :-)

Mr. Karswell had a tab as I commissioned Iain to sculpt that one for me, the axe cultists had the integral base as I purchased those from Iain (I think he was planning to put them up for sale on the Tengu site, before he shut it down), and the other cultists are all 3D prints, and I haven't had enough experience to know if they would print better/worse with a tab on there.  ;-)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the warband progresses!

Wally Harwood

• Like 4

So I primed and got a base of skin and cloak/ robe red but I've never had a more frustrating time keeping minis in place, so I gave up for the day. I'm going to try something else but the minis... they weren't cooperating.

Didn't do much for a week. I did some base coating of pants and shirts yesterday, and some shading of robe/hood/tunic. Colors were msp carnage red HD maroon and msp burgundy wine.

I think I'll highlight with a sample red and add lava orange and maybe a yellow. I might do a magenta glaze after to tie it in. Then street clothes, metallics and some weird stuff in the book and then on the bases.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rahz
      As my players are going to be floating around the Darklake in the Underdark for the next few sessions, after drawing it the first night, I thought about trying to build it instead.  We use the grid and my players floundered when we tried to do away with it so trying different ways to incorporate it into the build. 

Playing with wood texture.  My one cut was horrible and it ripped more than it cut. 

Used chipboard templates to guide the curved cuts. 

2 different grid options on the front and back.   Like the front but it’s a bit more confusing than just using the “nail holes”.  Will see how the middle goes. 

Thanks for looking. 
    • By Xiwo Xerase
      BattleTech is one of my long time loves for games and it's what got me into the miniature hobby.  I have actually been avoiding painting my BattleTech minis for a while so I'm hoping this will give me some amount of momentum.

The four miniatures featured in this WIP thread are, from left to right:
      Catalyst Game Labs Cyclops, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack. Iron Wind Metals 20-200, Griffin GRF-6S, metal (standing in for a Griffin GRF-3M). Iron Wind Metals 20-211, Archer ARC-8M, metal (standing in for an Archer ARC-2R). Catalyst Game Labs Catapult, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack.  

These make up the Fire Lance of the Marik Militia company I have painting off-and-on (mostly off).  The colors of the Marik Militia are purple, with blue highlights on one side and red highlights on another.  Here's an example I've already painted:

The metal minis have been based using Iron Wind Metals hex bases.  The plastic minis have been removed from their integral plastic bases and based on Proxie Models plastic hex bases.  All of the minis have been glued via glue gun onto little holders I made from spare parts (PVC pipe, a wooden dowel, and washers).  These are mounted via magnets on my normal painting holders (plastic tubes with a squared base).  The point of the holders is for easy removal from the holders for photography.  (This was actually my first time using a glue gun so if some of the minis look crooked compared to the base, that's why.)

The minis have been primed white using Reaper Brush-On Primer and then painted with a mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water to show details.  (All of them but the Archer were painted using a 1:2 mix of Brown Liner and Brush-On Sealer.  The Archer was painted using a 1:1:1 mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water.)  The bases have been covered (or filled) with paver sand glued down with superglue.  (I'm pretty sure I picked this up from @Weird-O.)

Here's an obligatory picture with Sir Forscale:

I've included pictures of the minis in spoilers:

Archer

Catapult

Cyclops

Griffin

I'm going to point some of the obvious mistakes to get those out of the way:
      There are some mold lines that didn't get filed down. There is some detail that should probably have been enhanced (for example, filing down more on the Griffin's missile pod and recreating that detail, or drilling some of the missile launcher holes deeper). Some detail in the Archer's missile launchers has been obscured by CA glue and will need to be recreated with paint.  (Gluing on the missile launcher doors was painful.) When the Catapult was removed from its integral base, it's outside toes were mangled. Neither of the metal minis are pinned.  This is a pretty big mistake and will be painful if either of then fall.  
      Some of these mistakes won't be addressed.  I'm going to live with that.

So let's talk painting.  The guiding principle, beyond the Marik Militia parade scheme is "rule of cool".   It doesn't make sense for weapon barrels and joints to be metallic but it looks cool.  The planned colors are:
      Primary purple: Amethyst Purple Blue accents: Cyan Blue Red accents: Phoenix Red Weapon barrels: Honed Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Joints: Tarnished Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Hands and other rubbers: Stone Grey Base sand: Yellowed Ivory Base rim: Gem Purple  
      I'm still trying to decide the cockpit glass color.  On the other Marik Militia minis I've painted (like the Black Knight above), I've just used Adamantium Black.

(An aside about base rims: When I paint BattleTech minis associated with a particular fashion, I paint the rim of the base a color based on the faction.  Since the Marik Militia are part of the Free Worlds League Military (except for when the League doesn't exist), the base color is purple.  I have a spreadsheet of faction colors I made some time ago, before the Bones paints came out.  It uses some HD paints that aren't going to be rereleased, so I'll need to revisit that.)

The challenge here is to paint all four minis to tabletop, in a timely manner, and without drybrushing (except the base sand, which will be drybrushed).  Let's see if I can finish this by, say, the end of July.
    • By Adrift
      Tabletop cultists for my dnd game. I wanted them to have a look that I could either use to be sinister and evil, or even 'good' cultists that have gone too far...the leaders feature red and blue while their subordinates feature green and blue. I chose to do metallic masks of varying metal types and shades.

My goal was to work on the speed at which I paint things like NMM so that I can get results without agonizing as I might for a competition piece. 

• By EvilJames
      Malak breathed the cold air and smiled. This day had been long coming. The journey to the Frozen City had been difficult, wizards of his like had difficulty procuring supplies in the so called civilized lands, even in the rough towns near Felstad. Still, goblins could adapt to any situation and this one was no different. The eclectic band he had managed to scrape together stood with him now on the outskirts of the ancient ruin, ready to stake their claim at the riches that lie within. His first in command was his apprentice Grubb a Weiben goblin from the Reaping lands to the south.
      After him was Murdo an infantrygoblin of the Heartstabber tribe of Impact Crater in the Oldhammer Mountains, and a likely candidate for leadership over the rest should it be required.

Polg and Mog were Manorheim goblins from just north of the Reaping lands and reasonably useful with a bow and axe, respectively.

Gik and Moosh were from a nearby Bighead tribe. While both were foolish creatures, Gik was good with his bow and Moosh was quick with his feet and his dagger.

They were also good with animals. Fearful and mistrusting of dogs they had brought with them giant rat creature they had tamed and named Squeaker.

His final member was a brute of a goblin named Malg from the Thunderbolt Mountains.

Louts and fool’s the lot of them, but competence cost gold, and that was coming soon. Besides if they die, at least he'll be able to buy better help on the next excursion.

Unfortunately, Murdo had been less competent than hoped, dying shortly after impaling the "mouse wizard" on his spear. The Manorhiem goblins suggested calling in a trap expert from their village by the name of Grinner. Hopefully this one will prove more useful.

• By Edsterdoom
      Here is antithetical recent model that I have finished in a push to clear my lead pile. 

He is an official Templar for Frostgrave. He will be used with my other Reaper models. 

Paint scheme kept simple

• Who's Online   35 Members, 1 Anonymous, 229 Guests (See full list)