paint area organizers, what works...

...and what doesn't?

TL:DR version: Here's the question: for those that have purchased one of the organizers / organizer systems, which elements have proven to be useful, and which ones not so much.

So, I need to upgrade my painting area to help keep my cats from continually knocking everything over the edge to the concrete floor so their royal highness' may sun themselves at their leisure.  I'm thinking of building an organizer/paint rack (yes I know I can buy one, but I have the ability, materials, and a "freakin' laser" of my own).  Right now my set up consists of a wooden shelf that originally was for the kitchen sink that acts as the holding area for assorted projects, three stacked sorting bins that holds tools, brushes and blister packs. and WIPs (some several years old) scattered across the table, or the floor depending on how long it's been since a cat went through there.

I have about 3' x 8" on a 4'x2' table to work with.  I was thinking of splitting it down the middle: on one side having two stacks of two 3" tall drawers topped with two shelves, on the other side a cubby hole at the bottom to hold a removable paint cup holder with slots for brushes (so I can use it while working on something then slide it back into the cubby when done) and paint racks over that.  Also have been kicking around the idea of putting a peg board on the side to hold blister packs for projects I'll get to Soon.  I'm open to changing the design based on elements yall think are useful or otherwise.

I'm also hoping that reducing the chaos will also convince me to paint more often.

• Like 2
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and what doesn't?

So, I need to upgrade my painting area to help keep my cats from continually knocking everything over the edge to the concrete floor so their royal highness' may sun themselves at their leisure. 

I suggest something like this: 

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

or even this: 

BDSC-8510-600x600.jpg

• Like 8

Wouldn't work where I have space for my table.  It's right in front of the window and the table surface is higher than the window sill.  The only other west facing window sill is blocked by a workbench holding my laser.  That and my cats have historically refused to use any variety of cat tower, rests, or anything else we have purchased for them.  I think they do it out of spite.

• Like 5

...and what doesn't?

So, I need to upgrade my painting area to help keep my cats from continually knocking everything over the edge to the concrete floor so their royal highness' may sun themselves at their leisure. 

I suggest something like this: 

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

or even this: 

BDSC-8510-600x600.jpg

But there's nothing on those for the jelicles to knock over.  Maybe glue some porcelain to these as bait for the mischievous beasts?

• Like 2

Cats love boxes. Get a shallow box or basket, obviously to hold something you wanted to properly contain that was not related to the cat. Then set it down somewhere only just barely convenient for you, and see what happens.

After that ... uh. *eyes own desk* ... Good luck. I cannot claim /any/ organization, as anyone who has seen my WIP pictures can likely guess.

• Like 3

train the cat to wear a little back pack filled with paints?

Haha!  Train the cats!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the cat advice is great, but really looking for input on what was useful in the organizers.  Because it is really more about getting my crap organized than it is the cats (as annoying as the problems related to them can be).

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 6

Then you'd be chasing paint all over the house... I wish I had answers, cause then I'd have a solution.  I'm terrified to leave my Winston & Newton brushes in a brush stand, even behind stuff.  My girls can seem to just destroy everything in their curiosity.  The nice row of brush holes on the back of my Vallejo organizer? Wasted space...  and it wouldn't matter what I made for them... if there was something I didn't want them to get their little mitts on, that would be the first thing they would go after.  As a refrigerator magnet so eloquently states, "Cats were once worshipped as gods in Egypt.  They have never forgotten this."

• Like 4

Then you'd be chasing paint all over the house... I wish I had answers, cause then I'd have a solution.  I'm terrified to leave my Winston & Newton brushes in a brush stand, even behind stuff.  My girls can seem to just destroy everything in their curiosity.  The nice row of brush holes on the back of my Vallejo organizer? Wasted space...  and it wouldn't matter what I made for them... if there was something I didn't want them to get their little mitts on, that would be the first thing they would go after.  As a refrigerator magnet so eloquently states, "Cats were once worshipped as gods in Egypt.  They have never forgotten this."

Thankfully my kids are old enough to have their own painting supplies and Bones figures. :)

• Like 1

My girls = my cats!  Married 20 years without kids... the good and the bad.  I'm hoping they will settle down sometime, but they are nearly a year and a half old now and still are way too playful.  

I'm still working out my organization.  I have a wood ammo box that works for big stuff.  I did get the Vallejo straight paint holder and two curves... and now I can see that I need another straight.  I'll be working in my new light when it arrives tonight. The problem with the Vallejo stuff is the corners are over 11 inches wide, which barely fits on my 2x12 board I use on my table (two of the 2x12s laid across two square bases on wheels). Otherwise, I like them.  I wish they were taller and had another row, but they are so finicky that if you have a laser cutter it would be easy to make your own.  Otherwise I just use what I had around the house (a wooden valet box I got from someone for christmas, an old wooden casette tape box, etc).

• Like 3

My girls = my cats!  Married 20 years without kids... the good and the bad.  I'm hoping they will settle down sometime, but they are nearly a year and a half old now and still are way too playful.  

I'm still working out my organization.  I have a wood ammo box that works for big stuff.  I did get the Vallejo straight paint holder and two curves... and now I can see that I need another straight.  I'll be working in my new light when it arrives tonight. The problem with the Vallejo stuff is the corners are over 11 inches wide, which barely fits on my 2x12 board I use on my table (two of the 2x12s laid across two square bases on wheels). Otherwise, I like them.  I wish they were taller and had another row, but they are so finicky that if you have a laser cutter it would be easy to make your own.  Otherwise I just use what I had around the house (a wooden valet box I got from someone for christmas, an old wooden casette tape box, etc).

Ah, my apologies, I did not connect your girls being cats. :blush:

The mish mash of found items pretty much describes what I have now and all my paints are either strewn across the table or in three different boxes/cases. :wacko:

I bought one nail polish rack that holds almost 1/3 of my paint bottles. I like it enough I'm considering buying 2 more since I'm finally getting around to getting the den properly sorted for my hobby room.

The rest of the stuff....yeah I need some storage systems put in place. My plan is to knock up some shelves at some point...

• Like 3

Nail polish (called tattoo ink holders on Amazon) on the shelf behind my desk. My other supplies I have in cheap plastic drawer sets from target in varying sizes.

I have my stuff randomly around my paint area since my fat tabby sprawls across my desk while I paint.

As fun as the hobby official organizers look they are way too big for my set up and I can't have much on my desk.

I would figure out what space you have sans cats to work with and that may also help narrow options down

• Like 1

Nail polish (called tattoo ink holders on Amazon) on the shelf behind my desk. My other supplies I have in cheap plastic drawer sets from target in varying sizes.

I have my stuff randomly around my paint area since my fat tabby sprawls across my desk while I paint.

As fun as the hobby official organizers look they are way too big for my set up and I can't have much on my desk.

I would figure out what space you have sans cats to work with and that may also help narrow options down

3 feet by 8 inches

I remember reading somewhere that putting a cat sized bowl on your desk will keep them occupied enough. My cat is 3 years old and I have made it clear that she is too big for my desk so she doesn't try anymore. Over the years I somehow trained her to understand a push in her front....errrr armpit(??) Area means to get out of the way. But it dI'd take about a year.

• Like 2