paint area organizers, what works...

Nail polish (called tattoo ink holders on Amazon) on the shelf behind my desk. My other supplies I have in cheap plastic drawer sets from target in varying sizes.

I have my stuff randomly around my paint area since my fat tabby sprawls across my desk while I paint.

As fun as the hobby official organizers look they are way too big for my set up and I can't have much on my desk.

I would figure out what space you have sans cats to work with and that may also help narrow options down

3 feet by 8 inches

Do you have any wall space next to your painting desk that it could be mounted to?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used three different types of desktop organizers... there are pros and cons for each type. My first attempt was a self made tiered (stair-stepped?) rows of 1/2" foamular insulation (the pink stuff). Each row held a single depth of paint bottles. I had about 7 or 8 rows high... and had to add a back board since I kept knocking everything on the back row off as my table doesn't make it all the way to the wall.

Second attempt was the laser cut stuff from Back 2 Basix... shipped all the way from Australia. I used that for about 2 years... and then the quantity of paint exceeded the rack capacity...

Now that I travel a bit to paint, I have converted my paint storage to plastic bins, aka, really useful boxes... There are two sizes that are just the right height for the bottles, and I have made a laser cut foam insert to keep the bottles from moving around too much. Each triad is stored together in numerical order, so they are "easy" to find. I also have a couple sheets of paper with paint smears on them, semi sorted by color using the template from the paint section.

I currently have three boxes, soon to be four with the paints I have added in the past few months. I like that the bins stack, won't slide off, and I can use the lids for "extra" storage space. I use poster tack to keep the work in progress figures from being knocked around... and if I will be gone for more than a few days, I turn a shoe box upside down to cover them for dust purposes.

Please let me know if there are any specific concerns you may have with one version/style over another.

• Like 2

Artbin Super Satchel Box With Removable Dividers 9007AB

Similar to the paint case Reaper sells with their large sets. Holds about 100 bottles, IIRC. Dividers keep the bottles from moving around, and it's portable.  I have one for paint, husband has one each for paint and tools/stuff. 

• Like 1

Nail polish (called tattoo ink holders on Amazon) on the shelf behind my desk. My other supplies I have in cheap plastic drawer sets from target in varying sizes.

I have my stuff randomly around my paint area since my fat tabby sprawls across my desk while I paint.

As fun as the hobby official organizers look they are way too big for my set up and I can't have much on my desk.

I would figure out what space you have sans cats to work with and that may also help narrow options down

3 feet by 8 inches

Do you have any wall space next to your painting desk that it could be mounted to?

Nope, it's a brick wall.  And the other wall is where the Cabinets of Shame reside.

I have used three different types of desktop organizers... there are pros and cons for each type. My first attempt was a self made tiered (stair-stepped?) rows of 1/2" foamular insulation (the pink stuff). Each row held a single depth of paint bottles. I had about 7 or 8 rows high... and had to add a back board since I kept knocking everything on the back row off as my table doesn't make it all the way to the wall.

Second attempt was the laser cut stuff from Back 2 Basix... shipped all the way from Australia. I used that for about 2 years... and then the quantity of paint exceeded the rack capacity...

Now that I travel a bit to paint, I have converted my paint storage to plastic bins, aka, really useful boxes... There are two sizes that are just the right height for the bottles, and I have made a laser cut foam insert to keep the bottles from moving around too much. Each triad is stored together in numerical order, so they are "easy" to find. I also have a couple sheets of paper with paint smears on them, semi sorted by color using the template from the paint section.

I currently have three boxes, soon to be four with the paints I have added in the past few months. I like that the bins stack, won't slide off, and I can use the lids for "extra" storage space. I use poster tack to keep the work in progress figures from being knocked around... and if I will be gone for more than a few days, I turn a shoe box upside down to cover them for dust purposes.

Please let me know if there are any specific concerns you may have with one version/style over another.

Expanding my paint collection isn't so much of an issue and I don't travel to paint. If I'm going somewhere it's to play.  I have tons of boxes and only really intend to have the most used ones in the rack.  The question is though what features of the rack did you like, and what did you not like (aside from capacity).

I paint in my closet; it's a walk-in closet with a niche 3' wide and 2' deep. As such, my space is quite limited, and I ended up going "up" instead of out.

I made an organizer from craft plywood, copied from one of the Back to Basicx products.  It has slots for my brushes, a couple containers for tools like tweezers and hobby knifes, and a bowl-area for loose things like paperclips and glue.  I like it, although it looks fairly rough; wood glue and impatience are not good to combine.

I made a tierd paint rack using a Forstner bit and 1x2s (seven levels so that I have two sets of triads and one row for primer/sealer and holes for brushes/tools), and added a shelf to it so I could have more area above it.  My other paint rack is a Paintier 80, which is nice since I can place the colors on it as they are in the color wheel.

Above that shelf is a closet shelf where I store a parts box for bases, with tubs of basing supplies atop that.

Hanging on the back of the closet door is a plastic shoe hanger thing where I can place spray paints and basing supplies, as well as the odd pair of shoes.

Underneath my painting table are two plastic carts with drawers to hold large supplies, like modeling clay, sculpting tools (I don't use them often), old paints that I don't use often, extra basing supplies, etc.

The homemade tool caddy is nice, and I would recommend making or buying something like it.  It helps keep the clutter down, and I always know where my brushes/knife/glue/scissors/pens are.  The paint rack is pretty nice, since I can see all my colors, although now that I've started getting Scale75 paints I have to decide

which paints get moved out.  That's probably the biggest drawback to the paint rack, in that it takes up more space than just a tub of paints, but I get the advantage of having the tiers lined up.

• Like 3

The one I have is from Australia, but since you have your own laser you can copy the design. Its from Back 2 Base-ix. They do theirs in both acrylic and mdf. The version I don't recommend is the one with the drawers at the bottom of the paint rack. I can never open mine because there is always something in front of them. They have a variety of products for organization, I have the paint racks, the two sets of the small drawers and one of the larger drawers. They have put up with abuse from me for over three years. 

• Like 2

The one I have is from Australia, but since you have your own laser you can copy the design. Its from Back 2 Base-ix. They do theirs in both acrylic and mdf. The version I don't recommend is the one with the drawers at the bottom of the paint rack. I can never open mine because there is always something in front of them. They have a variety of products for organization, I have the paint racks, the two sets of the small drawers and one of the larger drawers. They have put up with abuse from me for over three years. 

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. ::):  Thanks!

• Like 3

Yeah, seconded on the no drawers suggestion. I've got my paints in two two-drawer boxes on the paint desk, which a) no longer hold all of my Reaper paints, and b) are an absolute pain to open. The bottles are at the same height as the drawer, which jams if one bottle tilts which means every time. And, can't have anything in front of it so I'm constantly shuffling piles from one box to the other. Shame, as they've also got a little storage compartment on top... which also means I can't put anything on top of that.

And since this thread is inspirational, I've got a nail polish organizer on order. My hope is that it'll solve both problems above. I'll gain a bit less than half of my painting area when that's up on the wall.

• Like 3

I really like the metal nail polish racks you can find on amazon. I have one of those and a medium wooden paint stand I found at Broken Table Hobbies. The wooden ones are excellent for people who have enough desk space for all of their paint. The wall racks are great for people who don't have much desk space but have wall space. Just took a snapshot. I'm in the middle of painting a bunch of zombies so the paints I'm using for those are off of the racks. Please excuse the disorder.

WP_20160928_001_zpsqesonksm.jpg

• Like 4

I ended up making myself a rack, though it has become apparent that I'm going to need a second one.  Eventually I'm going to make a set of shelves to set them on to replace what I currently have.  The plan is to be able to place a lamp on it so I can have my light coming down from overhead rather than the sides.

Yeah, that's the one I have. And I did end up buying two more.

Workbench_082016.jpg

Can you call that a paint rack if you don't have a single bottle of paint on it?  

Still... I may need to look into these... the tiered ones eat up so much of my desk space and the other ones with more storage would probably be worse.  

• Like 3

Can you call that a paint rack if you don't have a single bottle of paint on it?

Hardy-har-har

I hadn't transferred from the other rack or my other plano case yet, wise guy. I still have the travel case loaded because it's laid out in sort of a palette that's easy for me to find stuff.

• Like 2